Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Shocks

Tjxlr

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Black Xlr
Took my 04 to cadillac dealer and they quoted 6800 to replace my shocks...780 labor for all 4 including programming, etc. Is there any supplier I can get the shocks from that anyone recommends? Of course I cringe at the high price?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Programming the shocks? Don't think I've heard of that before. It's not in my Chilton's manual

Well now that you say that, I got to looking and there are no wires or plugs that I can see on the shocks..

Well now that you say that, I got to looking and there are no wires or plugs that I can see on the shocks..

Also, I found the rears on Amazon for about $700 for the b0th rears and about $800 for fronts

Well just put 2 rears on. Went to Gmpartsdirect.com look them up ($559 ea.+ shipping the one side cheaper by a few $) got the numbers, then google them to find them on Amonzon.com both rears $810 free shipping. Took it to my local Chevy dealership and they installed both for $144. There is no such thing as programming them that ever heard of either! Mine is a 2005 I don't know if 2006 and up or the V models are any different or not. Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Yes there is wire that connects for the magnetic ride, but dealer did not mention any thing about needing to program. BTW your 04 should be the same shock as my 05

69b0778b95316204b85d44868dd348ed.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for info! I have ordered from amazon. My dealer quoted 750 or so for installing all 4. TO Me that seems high..
We have a very good family run shop here in town. I may ask them about installing them.
It seems that installing the shocks them selves are pretty straightforward

Thanks for info! I have ordered from amazon. My dealer quoted 750 or so for installing all 4. TO Me that seems high..
We have a very good family run shop here in town. I may ask them about installing them.
It seems that installing the shocks them selves are pretty straightforward

They charge at the Chevy dealer buy the book quote. So I'm sure that was for about 1 1/2 hours of laborer as they was charge around $89 an hour. I don't think there is a programming process they seem to be plug and play to me. I had the 2 on front replaced right after I bought mine in 2011 I bought them thur gmpartsdirect.com for like $1100 something back then they installed them at the same place for $79 again back then! I would shop around where they work Corvette they would be able also because they now have these shocks on them to! Good Luck & Happy Cruz'in

Tj and Gr. Daddy,

Just curious ,,,, could you both tell us the mileage on your cars at the time the shocks were needing replaced?

Thanks!

p z

Just curious ,,,, could you both tell us the mileage on your cars at the time the shocks were needing replaced?

Thanks!

p z

When I bought mine in 2011 it had a blown drivers side replaced both front had 53k the 2 rears just replaced was oil soaked and leaking at 92K

replaced shocks on 04'

Hi. I have an 04' that had leaky shocks when I bought it....only 32k miles. I finally decided to replace the front shocks. I ordered from Rockauto for $539ea. Very easy to replace myself and....what a difference.! The ride height increased and rides smooth! Expensive, but worth it.

Hi. I have an 04' that had leaky shocks when I bought it....only 32k miles. I finally decided to replace the front shocks. I ordered from Rockauto for $539ea. Very easy to replace myself and....what a difference.! The ride height increased and rides smooth! Expensive, but worth it.

Yep new struts and B F Goodrich Tire and it rides like it's a different car!

Good to hear, I'm working on replacing my 120000 mile originals also. Amazon I got the fronts and summit racing for the rears, although still waiting for the rears to arrive. I use rockauto a lot but these places saved me about a hundred bucks each.

Good to hear, I'm working on replacing my 120000 mile originals also. Amazon I got the fronts and summit racing for the rears, although still waiting for the rears to arrive. I use rockauto a lot but these places saved me about a hundred bucks each.

Yea, I saw these on amazon...great price! It says it ships in 2-5 weeks and didn't want to wait that long. I just changed the fronts yesterday after work. Make sure you have the tool to compress the shock a bit. I fashioned a coat hanger to hold mine compressed for the install. When I removed the passenger front shock it simply collapsed...had no pressure and leaking badly. Drivers front still had pressure but leaking. Sat low in front and plastic underneath would scrape driveway when backing out. Now it sits a bit higher and the ride is smoother. I think that you will be pleased when you change yours.

Yea, I saw these on amazon...great price! It says it ships in 2-5 weeks and didn't want to wait that long. I just changed the fronts yesterday after work. Make sure you have the tool to compress the shock a bit. I fashioned a coat hanger to hold mine compressed for the install. When I removed the passenger front shock it simply collapsed...had no pressure and leaking badly. Drivers front still had pressure but leaking. Sat low in front and plastic underneath would scrape driveway when backing out. Now it sits a bit higher and the ride is smoother. I think that you will be pleased when you change yours.

The trick with Amazon is to use there Prime 2 Day Shipping Offer (you can get the trial free for 30 days) but I think they need to be in stock and offer the Prime Trial Shipping and don't forget to cancel if you don't want to keep it!

Even the regular shipping from Amazon only took about 8 days. (As long as they are in stock)

Even the regular shipping from Amazon only took about 8 days. (As long as they are in stock)

Lol...yes. The ones for my 04' say 2-5 weeks when available. I am a prime member, could not wait that long. But enough about shipping...Love the new feel of the ride with the shock replacement! Hope that you do too!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom