Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Slow returning to Idle?

High Idle

Bill, you will notice, that if you are using the manual shift, the trans clutch will remain engaged. Says in writeups I have read that is done so it will "approximate" a manual transmission. In what mode are you running when you do this???

Has anyone experienced a very slow or lazy return to idle (800 or so RPM). After removing my foot from the accelerator the idle will solwly drop to about 1200-1300 RPM and stay there until I come to a complete stop. I can hear and feel the transmission flaring as it downshifts which is usually a symptom of high idle. Is there an aux air or idle valve that might be sticking or dirty. The local dealer tech says its "normal", I don't think so... does anyone have experience with this condition in a V,
Thanks,
Bill

Bill, you will notice, that if you are using the manual shift, the trans clutch will remain engaged. Says in writeups I have read that is done so it will "approximate" a manual transmission. In what mode are you running when you do this???
KLAP It occurs in all modes...."Normal" (in drive, automatic mode) "Performance" (you shift it, stiff shocks) and even if I bump it into Neutral at 40 MPH and coast to a stop. Until it sees a "0" speed signal it will not always return to curb idle. I'm meeting with another '06 V next week for a back to back comparison....I'll keep you posted. Bill

High Idle

Gocha! keep us informed on progress.

KLAP It occurs in all modes...."Normal" (in drive, automatic mode) "Performance" (you shift it, stiff shocks) and even if I bump it into Neutral at 40 MPH and coast to a stop. Until it sees a "0" speed signal it will not always return to curb idle. I'm meeting with another '06 V next week for a back to back comparison....I'll keep you posted. Bill

Bill, what did you do about your idle problem? Might be related to your gas mileage issue.

Klapp,
There is no question that the "high" idle condition is contributing to the poor mileage. Neither dealer was able to nail down a cause so they both determined it was "normal" which it obviously is not. That said, after speaking to a tech at D3, I've located a shop here that has experience with modifing ECMs on Corvettes and had also done some highly recommednded work on reprogramming an ECM in a V. I plan to visit them next.
And before any one wastes their time with thoughts or theories about a possible link to the transmission, I'm 100% positive that this is a software programming issue and not mechanical in any way.

Please keep us all informed of progress going that route!!

Rusty

Klapp,
There is no question that the "high" idle condition is contributing to the poor mileage. Neither dealer was able to nail down a cause so they both determined it was "normal" which it obviously is not. That said, after speaking to a tech at D3, I've located a shop here that has experience with modifing ECMs on Corvettes and had also done some highly recommednded work on reprogramming an ECM in a V. I plan to visit them next.
And before any one wastes their time with thoughts or theories about a possible link to the transmission, I'm 100% positive that this is a software programming issue and not mechanical in any way.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom