Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Spotting window trim

Phrede

Seasoned Member
My rubber window trim had developed spotting with some large spots on all of the pieces. The dealer agreed this was a defect and ordered replacements. Today they called and said they were able to clean them as a fix as they did not want to replace them for fear of causing my roof hanging issues to return.

I started thinking that the rubber may have a sealant (silicon?) coating that was failing and they have now removed it all to make it look uniform.

Does this make sense? Should I insist that the molding be replaced?

GM sells a product called krytox. They can get it at the parts Dept. I learned about it from the Allante club. It is expensive but it works wonders.

Do you know if krytox is just a cleaner or a treatment also ? Should we be useing it as preventitive care ? Thanks Ted

It is Avery good treatment and yes, I use it on a regular basis. My 04 trim still looks good.

Krytox, really? And it's not greasy? It seems to be more of a lubricant than a protectant. I have good luck using Adam's SVRT, but always interested in what others use.
Bruce

I got started using Krytox on my Allante and now use it on my XLR. At the dealer it is around $60.00 a tube, I bought my tubes on line for 22.00 a piece. It really does a good job on your weather seals. I have been told you also can get it at Dive shops as they use it on diving equipemnt seals.

I got started using Krytox on my Allante and now use it on my XLR. At the dealer it is around $60.00 a tube, I bought my tubes on line for 22.00 a piece. It really does a good job on your weather seals. I have been told you also can get it at Dive shops as they use it on diving equipemnt seals.

We use on equipment seals for diving because it is not flammable!!

Is this something that's only going to help if you put it on from day 1? My rubber trim was messed up when I got my XLR, & I've been working to "restore" it ever since (makes me realize the upkeep I do on my cars is actually worthwhile). I've got it looking pretty decent using Einszett Rubber Protection, but that's a little greasy & I'd be game to try something else.

By the way, they must have used different trim for the XLR because of the roof movement. I've never had this problem on any GM or Caddy I've had, but almost all XLRs seem to have it.

Looked into replacing mine outside of warranty & found it costs well over $2k to do so just for parts (per gmpartsdirect). The trim around the triangular back side window alone is $800. :( Alternative solution offered by dealer: tape off paint & use scotch brite on the trim so that it is at least all an even finish.

I think I see a scotch brite purchase in my future.

Looked into replacing mine outside of warranty & found it costs well over $2k to do so just for parts (per gmpartsdirect). The trim around the triangular back side window alone is $800. :( Alternative solution offered by dealer: tape off paint & use scotch brite on the trim so that it is at least all an even finish.

I think I see a scotch brite purchase in my future.

My detail guy bought some stuff at Autozone and the rubber looks good as new. I'll find out what it was and post the name.

Krytox

My local dealer has never heard of Krytox. It would be a big help if anyone could provide me with a Gm part number.

Thanks

Mines so spotty scotch brite might be the best I can do. The stuff I was using started running down on the windows, etc so I quit using it, which was too bad because it made the trim look good.

Dealer said he also tried "refinishing" the trim on some cars, but they can't get it to set in like the factory & it only lasted 5-6 months.

Comfortzone - I'd be interested in knowing what your detailer uses too. For the moment I've been trying some stuff from Mothers for trim, but it dries a little too dull to offset the bits of shiny I have left.

Comfortzone - I'd be interested in knowing what your detailer uses too. For the moment I've been trying some stuff from Mothers for trim, but it dries a little too dull to offset the bits of shiny I have left.

it's called "Back to Black"

It works great and he got it at Autozone.

Thanks! -- I'll check into that.

I just checked my tube of krytox. It's gn part #gpl 205. The stuff is expensive, about $30 for a 2 oz tube, but it is good and that tube will do many cars. It does go a long way.

Thanks myrocket, i was able to order it through my dealer today.

Thanks again for the help. :worship:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back