Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Steering dead spot

klaptrapper

My XLR/V(s)
2006-V black, ebony
My car is in excellent condition, with 65K miles and no error codes. There is about a half inch rotation dead spot in my steering. It seems what ever direction the steering is deflected to, changing that "set" there is about a half inch of non responsive movement in the steering wheel before reaction of the wheels. Kind of like in the old days with loose or worn tie rod ends. Any ideas?

Rusty xlr-v 06

Last edited:
I kind of feel dumb asking but: Have you checked the steering fluid level?

My car is in excellent condition, with 65K miles and no error codes. There is about a half inch rotation dead spot in my steering. It seems what ever direction the steering is deflected to, changing that "set" there is about a half inch of non responsive movement in the steering wheel before reaction of the wheels. Kind of like in the old days with loose or worn tie rod ends. Any ideas?

Rusty xlr-v 06

Check your steering rack and pinion mounting bolts. There are probably two bolts that hold it to the frame and if they get loose the rack will move slightly in either direction making it feel like you describe. I had this happen on my STS and I think the steering rack in the XLR is secured the same way.

Thanks 'onalaska' I'll check it out.

Rusty

Check your steering rack and pinion mounting bolts. There are probably two bolts that hold it to the frame and if they get loose the rack will move slightly in either direction making it feel like you describe. I had this happen on my STS and I think the steering rack in the XLR is secured the same way.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom