Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Steering dead spot

klaptrapper

My XLR/V(s)
2006-V black, ebony
My 06 -V has developed a "dead spot" in the steering when driving straight ahead. It is hard to describe, but when driving and transitioning from right to left or vice verse there seems to be a "detent" of sorts transitioning centerline. This occurs just driving normally straight on the highway. Not necessarily making a turn, but just driving normally within my lane.
Anyone having similar experience? Anyone know what the defect is? My car previously had smooth steering from lock to lock.

Thanks in advance

Rusty 06 - V

I'm sure you've done these things or at most of them, but check tire pressures, check tire wear, check power steering belt,
pulley(s) and fluid, check front hubs and if nothing found start checking alignment and/or front suspension. Good Luck!

Thanks for the ideas. I think tomorrow I will get the belt changed, That makes most sense given the other thoiughts seem to be ok.

I'm sure you've done these things or at most of them, but check tire pressures, check tire wear, check power steering belt,
pulley(s) and fluid, check front hubs and if nothing found start checking alignment and/or front suspension. Good Luck!

Thanks for the ideas. I think tomorrow I will get the belt changed, That makes most sense given the other thoiughts seem to be ok.

Rusty,

I don't know if our cars have GM's "Speed Sensitive Steering" or not, so this may not apply. I had the exact symptoms you described on another GM product and it was the SSS sensor that was bad. Simple change and perfect fix...

Thanks, bud, I'll check it out, if I just knew where to start....................ha.

Rusty,

I don't know if our cars have GM's "Speed Sensitive Steering" or not, so this may not apply. I had the exact symptoms you described on another GM product and it was the SSS sensor that was bad. Simple change and perfect fix...

I got out the workshop manual. In the Suspension - Steering volume, it describes VES which means Variable Effort Steering. Reading its function, It's affect on the steering effort is proportional to speed. It seems this is akin to the Speed Sensitive Steering you described. Without equipment to trouble shoot the system, I will take it to a local dealer and see whether they can determine the cause of the symptoms.

Thanks for the lead.

Rusty,

Klaptrapper
Dont know if this has any reference to your problem. Look under knowledgebase , chassie and suspension then number 7.
V Happy:dunno:

Thanks V Happy, for your help. I looked at the knowledgebase item and it referrs to a DTC code and a message on the DIC. Seems that I don't get any messages on my DIC, so maybe that isn't the problem. It is some defect, though as I definitely have a dead spot driving straight.

Klaptrapper
Dont know if this has any reference to your problem. Look under knowledgebase , chassie and suspension then number 7.
V Happy:dunno:

Stealing dead spot

Thanks V Happy, for your help. I looked at the knowledgebase item and it referrs to a DTC code and a message on the DIC. Seems that I don't get any messages on my DIC, so maybe that isn't the problem. It is some defect, though as I definitely have a dead spot driving straight.
Rusty
I noticed they referred to loose wires in that thread. I thought this may be your problem with out being bad enough to set a code. Intermittent probems in the wiring some times will not set a code but cause problems. I will try to read further to find where they suspect the problem in regards to loose wiring. If I come up with something I'll post it
V Happy

I really appreciate your help, V Happy. I have a cheapo code reader. I haven't used it on the XLR yet, but maybe it will show a code or sometning. I'll post any findings.
Rusty 06 V

I noticed they referred to loose wires in that thread. I thought this may be your problem with out being bad enough to set a code. Intermittent probems in the wiring some times will not set a code but cause problems. I will try to read further to find where they suspect the problem in regards to loose wiring. If I come up with something I'll post it
V Happy[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot, I appreciate your help.
I connected my OBD2 code reader (not a tech2) and it showed no codes.
Still trying to find the prob.

Rusty 06 V

I really appreciate your help, V Happy. I have a cheapo code reader. I haven't used it on the XLR yet, but maybe it will show a code or sometning. I'll post any findings.
Rusty 06 V

V Happy
[/QUOTE]

I just took the car out to "relive" the symptom. I think I will just live with it, until it fails sufficiently to set a code or deteriorate to a point where it can be analyzed.
Thanks all for your input.. much appreciated.

Rusty 06 V

Thanks a lot, I appreciate your help.
I connected my OBD2 code reader (not a tech2) and it showed no codes.
Still trying to find the prob.

Rusty 06 V
[/QUOTE]

steering dead spot

I just took the car out to "relive" the symptom. I think I will just live with it, until it fails sufficiently to set a code or deteriorate to a point where it can be analyzed.
Thanks all for your input.. much appreciated.

Rusty 06 V
[/QUOTE]
Rusty
i just looked up that service bulletin Gm also had a problem past that and added a b to the end number. If you google it they tell you the fix. It has to do with the telescopic steering. They tell you what code is set but not the symptoms. They also tell you what to do with the corroded connector. Looks like a pretty simple fix. Have you tried to adjust your telescopic wheel to see if it has any effect on your problem? Won't hurt to try.
V Happy:(

Thanks, V Happy. Next time I get the car out, I will adjust the steering wheel and see whether it makes any difference.
Again, I really appreciate your help.

Rusty 06 V

Rusty
i just looked up that service bulletin Gm also had a problem past that and added a b to the end number. If you google it they tell you the fix. It has to do with the telescopic steering. They tell you what code is set but not the symptoms. They also tell you what to do with the corroded connector. Looks like a pretty simple fix. Have you tried to adjust your telescopic wheel to see if it has any effect on your problem? Won't hurt to try.
V Happy:([/QUOTE]

The TSB cited is StabiliTrac-related to the Steering Wheel Position Sensor. The symptoms described sound more like a mechanical issue than electrical. A DTC could be set, (and not displayed on the DIC) and would not be detected by a generic code reader as described, since the suspension system uses the high-speed CANbus. The Tech 2 is really the most thorough tool to peer into an XLR's innards.

CC :wave:

Rusty 06 V

V Happy
[/QUOTE]

A 'cheapo' code reader is designed to read emissions codes only (ones that light the warning lamp). (Basically, P0xxx codes). You really need a Tech-2 for this type.

Ya, I figured as much. thanks. I can live wirh it for now, Next time I get it to a dlr, I'll pay the bucks and have them look for any codes that may be present. Meanwhile, I is a minor distraction.
thanks for the help.

Rusty 06 V

A 'cheapo' code reader is designed to read emissions codes only (ones that light the warning lamp). (Basically, P0xxx codes). You really need a Tech-2 for this type.[/QUOTE]

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom