Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

steering question

Duane

My XLR/V(s)
2005 black raven
I have a new to me 2005 with 33000 miles on it and whenever i turn hard right ot left from a stop it feels like my 4wheel drive truck that is in 4wheel drive. Is this normal? If not what do you think is the problem. It feels like it is trying to hop. Thanks

Front or rear? If coming from the rear could be the limited slip or maybe your axles?

My Hubby Steve (my go-to guy for mechanical issues) says it sounds to him like it may be something in the Trans-axel binding........?

Steering ?

I have noticed the same thing with my '09. I have not checked on it though. I felt that it was the way the low profile tires handled the deep turn from a stop. I would be very interested to know if this is not the case. Jim

For what it is worth, my '06 started doing the same thing a couple of years ago but was coming from the rear, not the front. The rear makes the front feel like it is a 4 wheel drive when this happens. Dealer flushed and replaced fluids three time according to Cadillac Specs. After the third time they replaced the clutches and everything went back to normal. Hope this helps.

I have taken note of this. If this continues to happen, please see the dealership as they should be able to properly diagnose and repair the vehicle. If you decide to take it in, please send us a PM with your VIN#, name, situation, current vehicle mileage, contact information, and dealership information. I hope this is resolved quickly for everybody. Thank you.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

Steering question answered

I took my car to the local cadillac dealership, they found a bulletin about the problem being with the posi-trac clutches sticking. They dropped the oil from the differential (really smelled) flushed it and replaced and drove to a vacant lot and did a figure 8. Mechanic thought it really helped. Came back in shop and drained it again to make sure all the old oil was out. Replaced oil 1.8 quarts and drove again and said it was fine. I drove it home 5 miles put in garage and got it out next morning and it was doing the same thing again. Now what?

I took my car to the local cadillac dealership, they found a bulletin about the problem being with the posi-trac clutches sticking. They dropped the oil from the differential (really smelled) flushed it and replaced and drove to a vacant lot and did a figure 8. Mechanic thought it really helped. Came back in shop and drained it again to make sure all the old oil was out. Replaced oil 1.8 quarts and drove again and said it was fine. I drove it home 5 miles put in garage and got it out next morning and it was doing the same thing again. Now what?

Have your dealer check the rear axle nuts. My dealer checked my wife's '06 and they were surprised when they got 1.5 turns on both axle nuts. Something simple to check and it might help with the problem.:dunno:

Mike

I'd be inclined to go along with what Bluehawk posted as it sounds more like it is from your power steering.
At full lock you will get a pulsing through the steering wheel. Check to see if original tire size is still on the
car, tire pressures are equal and at proper inflation, check power steering fluid level (engine off) and don't turn
steering wheel to its full lock position.

My 05 does this also back sometime ago there was some postings on here about changing the rear end pumpkin oil because it was the wrong oil and putting the correct in it just so happened that my was going in for PA inspection so I had them change the oil and it did stop for awhile but noticed it still doing on very sharp turning! Seams if your going very slow it not very noticeable! Question for Mike when the rear axle nuts are tightened the 1.5 turns did that fix the hoping on your car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Thanks Dan

My 05 does this also back sometime ago there was some postings on here about changing the rear end pumpkin oil because it was the wrong oil and putting the correct in it just so happened that my was going in for PA inspection so I had them change the oil and it did stop for awhile but noticed it still doing on very sharp turning! Seams if your going very slow it not very noticeable! Question for Mike when the rear axle nuts are tightened the 1.5 turns did that fix the hoping on your car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Thanks Dan[/QUOTE

While in Hershey Pa, Bruce "cadillac tech" told me to have the axle nuts checked on our next service because they can work loose. We were fortunate that we never experienced the binding/pushing but when I asked my dealer to check them he responded "are you having the binding/pushing feel when you turn sharp at slow speeds". Again, we never experienced that but they did tightened the axle nuts 1.5 turns and so far we still haven't had a problem. Based on Bruce telling me to have the axle nuts checked and my dealer knowing of the issue, it is a simple check to have done.

Thanks Mike sounds like if the dealer asked that question then that may be the cause I will get mine checked than just in case thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Thanks Dan

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back