Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Stiffer Shocks in Manual Shift Mode

MarkSki

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Thunder Grey XLR
I heard or read that the shocks stiffen up when you move over to driver manual shifting instead of being in full automatic "D". Is this true, does the suspension stiffen up and if so is this for both the BASE and the V models and is there a certain year make?

I tired it a couple of times with my 2004 BASE and I didn't notice any difference, the car corners rather flat without much lean in both modes.

V Models

There is a performance mode on the V models, which changes suspension and shift points on the six speed transmission. This is not on the base models. I also believe the magnetic ride control was probably enhanced throughout the short life of the XLR, with the newer models getting the most updates. This has always been on my mind, if the upgrades were mostly computer programs updates, could the older years receive these upgrades. :dunno:

Copied from my owners manual:

The Sport Automatic Mode is selected by moving the
shift lever into the DSC area without shifting towards
the + (plus) or − (minus) symbols. While in the
Sport Automatic Mode, the transmission computer
determines when the vehicle is being driven in a
competitive manner. It then selects and holds the
transmission in lower gears giving more noticeable
upshifts for a sportier vehicle performance. Once you
shift to the + (plus) or − (minus) controls, the driver
manual gear selection is activated. A + (plus) symbol
appears on the shift console above the DRIVE (D)
indicator and minus symbol appears below the indicator.....

I heard or read that the shocks stiffen up when you move over to driver manual shifting instead of being in full automatic "D". Is this true, does the suspension stiffen up and if so is this for both the BASE and the V models and is there a certain year make?

I tired it a couple of times with my 2004 BASE and I didn't notice any difference, the car corners rather flat without much lean in both modes.

The stiffer ride is very noticeable in the V.

Thanks for the replys and info. One of these days I'll upgrade to a "V" if I can find one. It took me ages to find our XLR in the correct color.

I took our Grey Jewel for a sprited run this morning and ended up with "Service Stabilatrac""

I hope this XLR isn't like the XK8 Jaguar I had. It would break every time I took it on the twisties.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom