Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Still looking

"Wonder when the used car market will reflect that. [going down?]

I see the used car market stable or even going stronger.... Why? Because cars are still wearing out needing major repairs, and auto accidents still happen every day,,,,,and with so many people laid off of work or totally lost their jobs > I don't see new car sales as a replacement to the above situations as being viable with those people missing their income during this virus pandemic. For the majority of citizens the most important item is paying for their mortgage/rent first,,,,food/tp supply next, followed by their cell phone bill (lol). If those people are in a situation needing to replace a car now, are most likely to look at used car inventories with a lower outlay to pay back. Just my opinion and I could be wrong...

Just extrapolating from the lack of traffic (cities in California are seeing improvements in air quality) and gas prices keep dropping ($1.88/gal for 87 PON locally). People and schools may find that virtual offices/school rooms make a lot of sense.
Of course for the last ten years before I retired, all I did was to go upstairs, was a "virtual employee" (before "telecommuting" was a term) back in the last century.
Figured when I stopped driving to my office in the morning it was a $250/month gasoline/toll savings and had an extra hour and a half per day that wasn't on the road.

As to the used cars market, Florida economic losses are already over a billion dollars (why Trump declared a disaster here) and nothing is selling, luxury cars least of all. Discretionary income is way down and those still comfortable are not buying antiques/toys.

I am expecting to find a nice driver XLR (not a show car or never driven but with good headlights) for under $10k. Time will tell.

ps Also looking at C5 Corvette coupes but like the XLR better. Central Florida has always been target rich

Last edited:
Padgett, We are really in uncertain times and a lot of people are hurting and not knowing what will happen next. AND you expect to find an XLR for under $10,000. It will certainly be at someone expense and I hope you never find that car.
John F.

Ok so I am supposed to pay retail for a complex luxury car I have the facilities to keep in repair ? I am not sure what you are saying. Was just making a prediction based on what have seen before and waiting to see what happens. I have earned every dollar that I have, saved at the maximum my working life, and choose to look for an XLR rather than go on a trip to China or buy a Rolex (wear a $25 smart watch when bother). I really do not understand your point but then am not a liberal either.

Feel like you want me to apologies for wanting to pay what I expect the new proper price as opposed to not wanting one at all ?

Last edited:
Ok so I am supposed to pay retail for a complex luxury car I have the facilities to keep in repair ? I am not sure what you are saying. Was just making a prediction based on what have seen before and waiting to see what happens. I have earned every dollar that I have, saved at the maximum my working life, and choose to look for an XLR rather than go on a trip to China or buy a Rolex (wear a $25 smart watch when bother). I really do not understand your point but then am not a liberal either.

Feel like you want me to apologies for wanting to pay what I expect the new proper price as opposed to not wanting one at all ?

I do not think I am much different than you from reading your last post. I want a deal on everything I buy , I worked hard for what I have as well. Anything I buy I am grinding for the best price. I just felt in these times I wouldn't take advantage as people are being forced to sell stuff through no fault of their own. Two different thoughts. Get your XLR and enjoy. They are fantastic cars.
John F.

Ok is fine and I do have things that bother me but not automotive related. Can mention two things I have reacted strongly and very vocally to sellers about recently:
1) Face mask sold as "N95" when received was marked P2.5 and lacked the necessary carbon element
2) Aerosol duster sold as "Disinfecting cleaner that kills 99.9% of bacteria and germs". Didn't.
These are no longer advertised.

But to me an XLR is a toy and something completely different.
ps am considered at "high risk" & taking precautions but not letting it affect my thinking.

Last edited:
Substandard items, false advertising and price gouging bastadges...

I have lots of contempt for politicians...anywhere. Any country, any party...makes no difference it seems. :(

That said, last night and today, I sure did appreciate Mister Ford's fury towards price gougers. He scores a point. :thumbsup

Ontario corporations, individuals could face 'staggering' fines for price gouging | CTV News

In regards to a sub-10k XLR... that might be a bit difficult, but one never knows for sure... time ("these times") will indeed tell.

Florida also has a price-gouging hotline. 866-9NO-SCAMS
Should mention that even before the current events there were several 80-115k mile nice XLRs in the $12-$15s and had a bid in for one with good cosmetics and needed my kind of work for $9.5k so $10k range was possible even before. Florida is different.

I think you have a real good chance of finding a nice XLR for under 10k at this time and if the economy doesn't start up by Easter you may find one for free.

going to have to agree with Z1. With something like 60% already in default on auto loans before this started the market will be flooded with cars. As in most cases there will be no real winners. There will be losers and those that do not loose as much. storage lots and the repo man will be busy. Been alive for a long time but this is the first that I have seen nothing but negative panic pushers on the media. It was not that bad when cuba had Nukes and we were within minutes of actually being wiped out. If we offset the regular flu of 40,000 a year and the auto deaths of 40,000 a year that will both drop this one may average out to be fewer. That's what I am hoping for. Took a drive In the smokies and they were much clearer already. maybe people will see how pretty the planet is with less pollution and work to keep it that way. On a little side note I am not political and know Man alone cannot solve problems. I have yet to see a town or state were anyone can point and say a certain political party is doing a great job. Neither are doing anything special. I do know where I live we have a plant that has over 5000 employees and their management used to send 25-30 people 2-3 times a week to china plants to coordinate production. With the tariffs in place all those trips stopped. Just think that's like 75 -100 people from china coming to a plant with 5000 people working every week. Since there was no travel we do not have but one case in our whole area . So the tariffs saved a lot of lives here.

True. One thing I do believe in is the strength of the country, mostly we squabble a lot and "the sleeping giant" is apt but given a threat and we all pull together, throw everything we have at the problem, then hope it is enough. Just the American way and usually in hindsight becomes massive overkill. Let's pray on Easter Sunday we can say that.

Still I think life will never be the same. People will feel uncomfortable in malls and stadiums. 75" TV and home office sales will boom. People will discover they do not need to go somewhere every day. Like in the 50s home delivery will become common and front porches will have small (or not so small) refrigerators. Rail travel may make a comeback. Bridge clubs will meet online. Yahoo games will be back. Times will be interesting.

I would like to go to Church and pray, but in California that's now illegal. Not joking....Seriously, not joking. I can't even drive to church; my DL has expired and the DMV has been closed for thirty days.

Sorry to hear that but suspect most are having services and other functions online, mine (UMC) is but has been for some time. Its a new world.

Also the rules are different in Florida:
"Under an emergency order signed this week by Gov. Ron DeSantis, all licenses, including commercial driver licenses and ID cards, will be extended an extra 30 days past the expiration date."

Quite a different discusion from what I started but am still hopeful.

Last edited:
",,,,,,Discretionary income is way down and those still comfortable are not buying antiques/toys.

I am expecting to find a nice driver XLR (not a show car or never driven but with good headlights) for under $10k"

Top line,,,,I agree....except for C8 Vette buyers

You might find a XLR to buy at your price.....but it may need many more $$ to fix it's problems. Keep that in mind. Good luck.

Hi.

My opinion is after a storm there is always the sunshine and we have capable peoples to solve the market problem, the 1929 crash was solved by the same people$$$$$
Rich peoples were always rich , the poor peoples were always poor, only the midle class peoples are concerned.

In the 1920 the horses were the main way to go from point A to B and since we have done extremly good with our standing of living …. it will be carry on for the futur.

The new car market goes with the demand, and since the middle class people is the most affected,income wise,the demand on new car will reduce and there will be eventually also less used cars ( deals ) on the market.

Sooner the crise ended better it will be for all of us in the world, it might take a while but the way we are living presently is change…. for a better one, no one know how good it will be.

The present market for cars are for the lite truck style, the sedan style cars are on a way down value because of the poor demand. the crise is not needs for that situation.
The sport style cars are uncertain when a crise arrive, that style is often used for promoting the car makers importances.

Personnally I will keep my XLR for many years again, enjoying it driving it as long as i can, it is a collection car, one day a car enthusiasm will purchase it.

It is only an opinion.

IAN :laugh:

Last edited:
Rich peoples were always rich , the poor peoples were always poor, only the midle class peoples are concerned.
IAN :laugh:

Pretty true - my dad lived through the Great Depression and said if you had cash in the bank, you were ok. Otherwise... not so good. Rich from the stock market? Gone. Poor and no cash in the bank? Meet poorer. There weren’t credit cards back then, maybe some store credit available at best, no loans available all over like today, so there really wasn’t the possibility of living on credit like we have in modern times. That makes it even less likely that people now have any cash in the bank or elsewhere.

I agree that the economic impact of coronavirus alone is going to be life changing. Today’s youth have never experienced anything like it. I hope they learn from it instead of just impatiently waiting for it to end.

Naa,.... thers's nothing, zippo, nada here. Cali sucks. Resist letting Californians move in to your area, they will ruin the place.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom