Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Suspension control module 2004-2005

MR Roadster

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 xlr
I was reading the service manual for the 2005 xlr and noticed the suspension module (ESC) has 3 separate plugs. The manual list all the wires, their function and the location of each on each plug. Looking at the 2006-2009 the suspension module has only one plug but with all the same wires and functions as the 3 plug module on the 04-05. Could it be possible to wire the 04-05 plugs to the 06-09 plug. The 04-05's ESC's are expensive and hard to find, the 06-09 are cheap and easy to find. Could this be a hack?

Attachments

• 10348979-2004-2005-cadillac-xlr-electronic-suspension-control-module-used-bad-10348979.jpeg
    10348979-2004-2005-cadillac-xlr-electronic-suspension-control-module-used-bad-10348979.jpeg
    60.7 KB · Views: 357
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 250
Howdy!
That's interesting for sure. No knowledge if it has been done or could be done, but if it is actually possible, that could be a game-changer for lots of XLR owners. Maybe give it a try if you're up to it?

I'm going to give it a try by making a conversion plug marrying the 3 plug with the single plug. First I have to find a ESC from a SRX or Seville ( because it has the same 3 plug configuration and it's cheap) then detach the female plug from the SRX circuit board. It may work or it may not. Currently I have my 2005 xlr ESC en route to G7 computers. Hopefully they can do what they say and fix it (water damage). in the meantime start working on my backup plan.

Fantastic!
That would make for a very desirable 'kit' for many people, if in fact it happens to fly. :)

I wonder, are the actual terminals in the 3 originals possibly the same as those in the single? That would be a bonus... a bit time consuming to pull them and replace them in to the single, but if it could be done...

If anyone happens to have a genuine '06 or newer shop manual, the connector and terminal type should be marked there, not to mention, the connector should be available from any of the big electronics distributors.

I have a 2004 manual if need be - just let me know.

Looking forward to your test rig results for sure!

Gord :thumbsup

its been tried a dozen times or more. the ecm processes the information in a different format but go for it . it would be a great savings. there has been maybe 50 modules sent by members to companies who claim they can repair the water damage over the last 5-6 years that I have documented and know of . Its never been repaired by anyone but there is always a chance. if the water damage was found before power was ran thru the unit it might be saved. but once driven they are toast. I tried an 06 xlr module wired to a 05 and it does not work. But hope you can do it better. I do have a work around for turning off the lights I can do on the 04-05 module if you replace the non mag shocks. I hope to have it set up for a plug and play by the first of the year.

Last edited:
I was afraid of that because further research says the ESC from a 06-09 must be programmed to the car. The 04-05 ECM is most likely not set up to program the ESC. One would need an ECM from an 06-09 xlr. The ESC from an 06-09 also fits a few of the corvette hence the need to program the Module. Hopefully G7 computers can fix the circuit board. Any circuit board can be fixed if the actual board is not broken. It just takes the correct replacement circuits and the correct testing apparatus. Most companies can't do it because they don't have the replacement parts or equipment to test.

well crazy people are paying 2500 for used ones from a seller that sells junk and will not stand behind his parts. so if they repair one for less it would be great. When wet it thrashes the program on the actual chip. No one can copy that program yet or write a new one. W e have tried using the chip from the vette and srx and they are not compatible. We got GM to make about 50 a year or so ago and they sold out right away. Its the same physical looking part as used on the corvette but now all the parts are gone and they will never make any more from scratch. A kid could probably build a computer to do the job if the unknown s were known. What the operating program is .the rest is not that complicated. I never fault anyone from trying something others have already done but dont have much confidence in anyone being able to repair the modules I personally sent a dozen or so to the so called top module repair companies. A couple of them did not even show a hint of damage, just did not work. Negative results. Keep us posted. I have a l the parts should you want to do some experimenting on swapping parts around. Some people have reported their car would not run with the module out others had no problem with the module removed other than the 80MPh limp mode. You do not want to bypass that if you do not have a working module as you have no shocks if you have a bad module. For less than 1000$ you can replace with non mag shocks actually improve your ride from the mag ride unless everything is brand new . Just need to install program to override the 80mph

I just saw you had sent to G7 they have tried multi times for members on here. But its been awhile so maybe they have new information.

Last edited:
Thank you mickeytee for the detailed response.
Well first let me get over my disappointment at reading G7 computers has already failed multiple times at this project. When I bought this 2005 xlr 2 months ago I knew it had problems. The least of which , I thought was the suspension warning ⚠ message. Must be a wheel sensor I thought, easy fix. When I first drove the car it had the 80mph message but after taking out the ESC and cleaning the circuit board off with a toothbrush and baking soda the message disappeared and was replaced by Service Ride control. Fortunately I only paid $5500 for the 100k mile car. Currently I'm into the car for $6500 after replacing the VVT actuators, one VVT oil control valve, the folding top module and the lower grille. Pretty sure I can recoup the $.
How do install the override program? And how do I remove the magneride shocks? I've heard they're hard to remove.

well dont give up on them .They may have learned something. Most all of these so called module repair companies can only look for a cold solder joint or one of a few known problems. Most of them if you google the problem there is a home repair that does the same thing they do. There are a few good companies out there that can actually repair or remanufacture some modules but mostly on high end cars and they charge a ton. I just watched a video on a mini cooper ignition problem and the guy has a complete wiring harness dash ecm everything set up on his bench to be able to check for one problem. He knows what he is doing but he only does mini coopers. there are 10,000 of them with the problem he repairs so he has work for life.

You seem to be very well informed on this subject. A wise man learns from his mistakes, a truly wise man learns from his and others mistakes. The micro chip embedded on the circuit board appears to be the major problem and not the solder joints, relays or capacitors. These chips must have a software program hard coded on to them. Some chips are capable of being reprogrammed and others are not. Don't know the best way address this problem.
I worked as a computer programmer for 30 yrs, mostly on large mainframes using high-level languages. My experience doesn't include repairing circuit boards.
G7 received my module on Friday at 10am, so I should know something by Tuesday morning. They are a business and like most businesses they're in it for the money. Which I don't blame them. Easy fixes make the most money and difficult ones don't. Hopefully there's a repair-person that likes the challenge of succeeding were other's have failed.

Last edited:
I sent you a PM They at least returned the payment when one other member got his back .they told him they had no way to test it. maybe they have now / We where close to a solution a couple years ago but Gm released 100 of them and at 400$ each new there was no reason to work on repairs. those all got bought up and GM decided not to make any more

I received an e-mail this morning from G7 computers concerning my ESC (electronic suspension control) module.

The computer you sent here has been repaired. There was a hardware failure on the board. Usually when the computer fails, so does another part on the vehicle, and if all the damaged parts on the vehicle are not replaced at the same time, then the original problem may still exist, or even cause damage again to the computer (which is not covered under warranty, as stated in the Terms and Conditions on the website) and/ or vehicle. Anything electrically related to the symptoms with the vehicle should be checked. It could not be determined if the fault was a result of a short circuit in the vehicle or a manufacturer's defect because the vehicle was not here for inspection. Your computer was shipped back out within one business day after it arrived here (as stated in the Terms and Conditions, "one day" is defined as shipping out by the end of the following business day that the computer is received here from the customer).

Please let me know if you have questions.

Before leaving any reviews, please allow us a chance to resolve any problems, and we will.

Thank you.

I hope it works but I know better , that is the exact same thing another member got . That way if it does not work when you install it they can claim it was something else wrong with the car. If the module works it works. nothing else on the car will damage the module. As you know a "hardware" failure would be a solder joint . I guarantee if it does not work they are going to claim something else is bad and damaged it.

Hey

You need to find another owner of an '05 who would be willing to swap out the suspension module with yours, just as a test. Then you could verify if the fault is in your car or with the module itself.

Bill

I'm hoping the module works when plugged in. My Tech II was able to make contact with the ESC using the CANDi adapter. Time will tell. It's due to arrive by Saturday 10/31/20. I'm optimistic. I'll be able to tell if the Tech II makes complete contact and manipulates the shocks.
Update: package scheduled for delivery 🚚 today. Film at 11.

Last edited:
Well the ESC shows the same DTC codes as before. Nothing changed. Emailed G7 computers and asked for a refund. Total bummer.
Now it's time for regular shocks. Good news is the 80 mph warning has never reappeared since cleaning the module myself before I sent it to G7.

Fantastic!
That would make for a very desirable 'kit' for many people, if in fact it happens to fly. :)

I wonder, are the actual terminals in the 3 originals possibly the same as those in the single? That would be a bonus... a bit time consuming to pull them and replace them in to the single, but if it could be done...

If anyone happens to have a genuine '06 or newer shop manual, the connector and terminal type should be marked there, not to mention, the connector should be available from any of the big electronics distributors.

I have a 2004 manual if need be - just let me know.

Looking forward to your test rig results for sure!

Gord :thumbsup
I have been able to build a bypass module to remove the "service ride control" and "80 mph speed limit". It doesn't make the magnetic ride shocks work but it does remove the messages and the engine speed limitations.
If you're still interested in the bypass module let me know.

Im interested in the bypass module. Could you show how you did it? GMFLASH.com wont reprogram for me in Canada.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom