Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Tech 2 Relearn Procedure question

Txmxbarajas

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Light Platinum XLR-V
For those of you who have a tech 2 and have done your own relearn procedure. After you hit learn for the procedure, do you wait for the calibration to change before the top will operate? My trunk and top don't work so I tried running the relearn and the closed positions will be learned and the calibration says in progress, then I hit the top down switch, windows go down, then nothing happens. Should it go down when I hit the switch or do I wait for the calibration to say something else? Thanks in advance.

So it's as I suspected then, the relearn can't be done because I have a bigger issue stopping the pump from operating.

Tried reinitializing the windows, still no operation.

Retractable top problems

May I suggest the following.

IAN:thumbsup

code1.jpgcode2.jpgcode3.jpgcode4.jpg

Have you tried the manual procedure to lower your top to make sure it moves freely?

Take your time doing it if you never have, the instructions are not that good.

Does your trunk even open?

If you don't hear the pump, check the fuses. If you do hear the pump, try to manually operate your trunk. There are helper struts on the trunk, they do go bad. The pump isn't strong enough to open the trunk if they are not working well.

Do you even hear the pump?

Tried reinitializing the windows, still no operation.

Have you tried the manual procedure to lower your top to make sure it moves freely?

Take your time doing it if you never have, the instructions are not that good.

Does your trunk even open?

If you don't hear the pump, check the fuses. If you do hear the pump, try to manually operate your trunk. There are helper struts on the trunk, they do go bad. The pump isn't strong enough to open the trunk if they are not working well.

Do you even hear the pump?

I tried the manual open procedure, but the roof wouldn't lift up, so I stopped and put it back so I don't damage anything. The trunk unlatches and I can open it manually, but that's it. It won't close automatically either. The pump motor doesn't make any noise. I put power to the motor and it spins, but once I put it back in the car, nothing. I tried running the motor with the tech 2 and no noise also.

So you turned the pressure relief valve at the pump, and then used the tool to open the latch at the windshield header? Although none of that matters if the Trunk won't even open.

Sometimes the trunk latch won't open, but when that happens you can hear the pump and see the trunk strain against being latched still.

Have you tried all the switches that open the trunk? The one above the license plate, the one by your left knee and the key fob in addition to the top switch? I'm sorry if this all seems obvious, but sometimes people get horse blinders and don't see something obvious like 1 bad switch.

If you have a bad sensor you usually get codes on your DIC. If your motor turns with power, but doesn't when you press any buttons that sounds like a communication or power problem to the pump.

I'm not an expert at all, I had my top stop working once, and the re-learn fixed it even though the symptoms didn't seem to me to be a re-learn problem. I messed around with the top, manually putting it up and down before finally doing a re-learn. At one point before the re-learn I would have sworn the pump was weak and the problem, but it wasn't, glad the re-learn fixed it.

Also, look at your cubby where the pump is and see if it looks like if there is a water ring in it from being filled up with water at one time, they are notorious for doing that on early models and that can cause corrosion on the connectors.

I would also suggest calling the supporting sponsor "top Hydraulics", they sell rebuilt top parts and seem to know quite a bit about the XLR top and might be able to help you.

I tried the manual open procedure, but the roof wouldn't lift up, so I stopped and put it back so I don't damage anything. The trunk unlatches and I can open it manually, but that's it. It won't close automatically either. The pump motor doesn't make any noise. I put power to the motor and it spins, but once I put it back in the car, nothing. I tried running the motor with the tech 2 and no noise also.

Last edited:
So you turned the pressure relief valve at the pump, and then used the tool to open the latch at the windshield header? Although none of that matters if the Trunk won't even open.

Sometimes the trunk latch won't open, but when that happens you can hear the pump and see the trunk strain against being latched still.

Have you tried all the switches that open the trunk? The one above the license plate, the one by your left knee and the key fob in addition to the top switch? I'm sorry if this all seems obvious, but sometimes people get horse blinders and don't see something obvious like 1 bad switch.

If you have a bad sensor you usually get codes on your DIC. If your motor turns with power, but doesn't when you press any buttons that sounds like a communication or power problem to the pump.

I'm not an expert at all, I had my top stop working once, and the re-learn fixed it even though the symptoms didn't seem to me to be a re-learn problem. I messed around with the top, manually putting it up and down before finally doing a re-learn. At one point before the re-learn I would have sworn the pump was weak and the problem, but it wasn't, glad the re-learn fixed it.

Also, look at your cubby where the pump is and see if it looks like if there is a water ring in it from being filled up with water at one time, they are notorious for doing that on early models and that can cause corrosion on the connectors.

I would also suggest calling the supporting sponsor "top Hydraulics", they sell rebuilt top parts and seem to know quite a bit about the XLR top and might be able to help you.

Correct, I followed the manual procedure and everything moved fine. I've tried all of the trunk buttons and they all just unlatch, but no activation of the motor other than a click from the module, but no motor noise. I'm not getting any codes and all parameters on the tech 2 look normal, so I'm at a loss.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom