Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Texas Mile March 21-23

GizmoQ

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Black Raven XLR-V; 1996 Eldorado ESC-V
A new year has begun and registration for the March Texas Mile opens in less than a week, 19 Jan. If past history is any indication, all slots will be taken within 2 days and then the waiting list will fill up by the end of next week.

There will be a Cadillac contingent again for this event with whispers of the top three CTS-Vs attempting to break 200MPH. The current CTS-V record is 199.2MPH. Latest spy reports indicate the power is there (998, 1039, & 1309RWHP for the top three). The top two will be sporting custom twin-turbo built motors with nitrous.

Should be interesting.

Just heard from Secret Weapon (he's the Dr with the 199.2MPH CTS-V at the Texas Mile) that the mile is in jeopardy of not happening at all. I, too, received the email he quoted, but it didn't mention what he said about the current registrations (I highlighted the registration status). I'll post more info as I hear it.

From another forum:

Looks like there is trouble in Beeville and the Texas Mile may not go off for the first time in ten years. The city council has not agreed to lower the insurance requirement or to help with funding this year. I will keep you guys posted. Until this is sorted out registration will not open up. Here is the pertinent text from the email they sent me.

Hello Texas Mile Participants & Fans, We need your immediate help to keep The Texas Mile going. The Bee Development Authority (BDA) approved the contract for The Texas Mile 2014 events. This is good news; however, the BDA did not vote to lower the insurance requirement. We provided the BDA with compelling evidence that proved the Motorsport Industry Standard for insurance is $5 million dollars. Even with the provided evidence the BDA chose to keep the insurance policy the same. We must maintain an insurance policy that is ten times the amount of normal requirements from similar type of facilities and events. It is a 50 million dollar insurance policy which has an exorbitant premium. The policy adds an annual burden of $105,000. We have typically paid around $15,000 to $25,000 of the premium and HOT FUNDS covered $80,000. This money is a significant amount. In 2012 & 2013 The City of Beeville helped The Texas Mile by allocating hotel/motel tax funds (HOT Funds) to help with 80% of the insurance premium cost. They agreed to do this because of two reasons:
1. The insurance requirement is unique to Chase Field in Beeville and not required at any other similar venue or motorsports facility and
2. The Texas Mile events have a significant economic impact on the City of Beeville.
On January 14th, Shannon and Jessica presented at The City Council meeting in Beeville to request Hot Funds for the 2014 Texas Mile Insurance policy. The City Council discussed the request at length and concluded that they no longer want to allocate funds for the insurance policy or resources that have assisted with course maintenance.
The insurance requirement adds a significant expense to the event and is obviously a vital and required part. Therefore, we are seeking sponsorship towards the cost of the insurance which we will be collecting before registration opens on January 19th. In order to open registration we have to have confidence that the insurance policy will be covered.
Insurance Sponsorships will be set up so the sponsor can input the amount they want to commit. There will be a minimum sponsorship amount of $500.00 but we will not limit the amount that any 1 sponsor can contribute.
We need:

10 sponsors at $10,000 each or
20 at $5,000 each or
40 at $2,500 each or
100 at $1000 each
This sponsorship is different than the normal sponsorship packages we promote. We still need your regular event sponsorship. The insurance support sponsorship helps to ensure we are able to have the 2014 events. We know that many of you have built your cars specifically for this event and that some of you have built your business around this event and its longevity. We also know that many of you look forward to this event twice a year as part of your family's vacation. We want to do everything we can to make sure that the event continues. With our 10 Year Anniversary in our rear view we look back at all of the obstacles we have overcome and know that there is still hope for the future. We ask you to join us in this fight to save The Texas Mile.

Last edited:
Firrst CTS-V Over 200MPH at the Texas Mile

Now I'm really mad I wasn't there this time. 162.6MPH at the half mile. 200.9MPH across the finish.

He and I were roommates in his RV last time I was there. Set my record and he broke. He's not your typical CTS-V drag racing fanatic. He's just a mild-mannered chiropractor from Houston with the determination and drive to get it done. Even when he broke half way through the event in 2012, he stayed and supported all the other Cadillac racers still on track. Glad he was the first, its been a long road to get here. Great Job Dr. Mark!

And yes, that's his DD. We Caddy racers just roll like that, hehe. He drove it to the track and will drive it home today with a much bigger grin on his face.

I couldn't help but laugh listening to the video. His first two runs back when we were together, he missed a shift. And everybody in the Cadillac corral/pit gave him hell. Listening to this, I can tell he was very deliberate on every shift to make sure he didn't miss one. He says its got 210MPH in it, hell if he tightened up the shifts alone he can get another 5MPH. :chuckle

image_zpse4e669f5.jpg

image_zps2ec1526c.jpg

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry