Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

The Evil Engine Light

majik755

Have a 2005 XLR with 30K and it's back again. Sometimes the Service Engine Soon in the DIC, or the Engine Light glowing for a day or two then disappearing. The car runs just fine (as far as I can see and feel) but keeps throwing codes. I've read through the posts here and have run out of options.

So far: replaced throttle body, replaced gas cap, replaced mass air sensor, had the car reprogrammed... Each time it stopped for 3 or 4 days and surprise, came back to visit... any ideas where I can look next?

Have a 2005 XLR with 30K and it's back again. Sometimes the Service Engine Soon in the DIC, or the Engine Light glowing for a day or two then disappearing. The car runs just fine (as far as I can see and feel) but keeps throwing codes. I've read through the posts here and have run out of options.

So far: replaced throttle body, replaced gas cap, replaced mass air sensor, had the car reprogrammed... Each time it stopped for 3 or 4 days and surprise, came back to visit... any ideas where I can look next?

Battery. :pat:

Do you have any mods done on your XLR i.e. exhaust, air intake etc. If that's the case could be a starting point. Are you reading the codes or your dealer? If you post them I'm sure Cadillac Tech can let you know what they are.

Thanks for the info.

Did replace the battery several months back. Have a Corsa exhaust, but that hasn't changed, problem existed before and after that installation.

It's in the shop again, so I'll get the code readouts from them, but from I've seen in the past, it the same list that I've seen in the other posts. As soon as I hear from the dealer, I'll post their comments hear.

Thanks again

Latest Update.

Of course light did not come on when they started car. History codes are P1101 and P0068.

The dealer has not suggested any remedy yet... at this point I picture them shaking the ole magic 8 ball and waiting for the answer.

The Dealer just called and said the magic 8 ball says throttle body...

well, not exactly. Although they replaced it in May of this year, they said they now have a new and improved model? (can I get a confirmation from our resident techs) In any case, due to the holiday I won't get her back until Friday, and they'll get me the new part number which I'll post here. This is all news to me, hadn't heard of an improved part and I'm a bit suspicious considering the car is out of production. It's under the extended warranty so except for the time investment, no cost to me.

Sooo, I'll just enjoy my turkey, some beer, and some football on TV, and wait it out.

Happy Thanksgiving to all :beerchug:

I was getting a lot of false readings with the engine light they finally determine the cause was to replace the PCM and I have not had a problem since.

speedway

Hopefully - Final story to recurring light and DIC message...

After 4th trip to dealership, replace throttle body, replace Mass Air sensor, reprogram PCM, replace throttle body again with new model... all resulting in "service engine soon" or engine light coming back...

A new issue was discovered that is appearing in older XLR and some STS models with the Northstar V8. My layman's explanation, based on a much longer discussion with the Tech is that, over time, the heating and cooling of this particular engine model results in the air intake manifold bolts loosening and backing out, as the seals leak a vacuum occurs allowing unmetered air into the system. The computer tries to adjust but eventually exceeds limits and throws all the codes typical of the other problems. Solution was to install new seals and make sure the bolts are properly torqued. Those with XLRs and unexplained lights may want to have this item checked, the tech said it was pretty obvious the bolts were loose upon inspection.

Its been several cycles of engine on/engine off with no message so I'm keeping my fingers crossed the final solution has been found...

I know this thread is old but wanted to share something that may help some one run down their vacuum leak.

My 2007 V was throwing codes for air intake etc...I kept looking for the leak and cleaning the MAF etc but the code would return. I then came across a video that helped me find the problem and it cost me 99 cents.

1. I took loose the plastic air intake from the intake just after the MAF (at the rubber connector) and placed a blue (harbor freight) rubber glove over the opening. Removed the large plastic cover and made sure the oil filler cap and dipstick were in tight.

2. Then disconnected the large vacuum line from the brake booster. Here comes the cool part ...I bought a 2 pack of swisher sweets for 99 cents and lit one up. Then just start blowing the smoke into the brake booster hose, covering the hose with your thumb between blows. The glove will start blowing up and creating some crankcase pressure with the smoke. Pretty soon I easily found my vacuum leak as the smoke was rising from the exact spot where the leak is. SIMPLE.

Mine was a loose hose clamp where the air intake metal piece is connected by a rubber connector that goes to the super charger. (hose clamp was loose) Reset light and has not come back.

Hope this common sense solution helps someone as much as it did me. FYI I do not smoke so if someone needs the other swisher, I got one for you.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom