Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

The hydraulic system on my top will not hold the top or trunk in place.

Big Duck

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2008 XLR-V Alpine
My top and trunk will not keep position. When I open the trunk, it slowly closes. The top, if I stop mid cycle, will not hold position.
I have found that if I reset the hydraulic system, I can limp back to function successful completion.
Anyone have a solution?
BTW: System reset is done by putting BOTH windows up and then holding BOTH window buttons down in the "up" position for five seconds. Then putting BOTH windows down and holding BOTH buttons in the "down" position for five seconds. This resets the computer and allows you to continue to use the system.

I had to replace my counter balance shocks last year, slowly dropping trunk lid. Dealer did a nice job, parts were not very expensive.

ok those are not nearly has hard to replace as people think. My friend replaced mine before I could make him a cup of coffee. Books show two more up under the center of the rear cover panel and the shock company has a number for those but it is not correct. Those are hydraulic powered and expensive trunk are 613790

Thanks for the reply.
I do not drive the car very often and so the hydraulic system, I think, is suffering from lack of cycling. I am not sure of the system particulars but I am trying to get further insight. It seems that it just does not want to hold pressure. I am wondering if I could use something to improve the, I assume, condition of the seals in the system. Something like "transmission restorer" that works on the seals of the transmission. [I should be so lucky to find a DIY fix :)]

Hey Big Duck, I sent you a PM, but no idea if it went through because I see nothing in my sent items folder. Good luck with your hard top!

Ah, thank you. I will look for that next time!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom