Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

The Long Goodbye

ccclarke

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2013 Graphite Metallic XTS Platinum
If you’ve read my XTS review at the bottom of the Forums Homepage, you’ll note I’ve adopted a new Cadillac. That’s the good news. The bad news is, it was time to let the XLR go. It wasn’t an easy decision to make, but it was the right one for my current circumstances.

The conditions of the roads here in New England are so bad that driving the XLR wasn’t the pleasurable experience it once was on the west coast. The roads aren’t perfect there, but there’s isn’t any comparison either. In addition, I didn’t want to deal with the hassle and expense of maintaining and insuring three vehicles. The car was getting long in the tooth, (eleven years old) needed new shocks and tires, and obviously couldn’t cut it as my daily driver anymore. Last winter’s dozen, back-to-back storms motivated me mightily to fix the situation. I needed a comfortable, smooth-riding, AWD, with all of the newer technology and the XTS was perfect for my needs. The XLR sold after two weeks on a lot for $16,500 with 92,000 miles, and some new, cheap tires they installed. It’s complexion was flawless, and the interior was pristine. The engine was solid, so whomever bought it is probably zooming around in it this weekend with the top down. Until I moved here, it was hands-down, my favorite car to drive and own.

My loss could be your gain, since I no longer need my Tech 2, 90-minute Folding Top Troubleshooting Repair and Alignment DVD, and 2-Volume XLR Tech course. I purchased the Tech 2 new in 2010, so it had the latest XLR firmware a year after the XLR was discontinued. I suppose you can have it updated if you want to use it on a newer vehicle, but for the XLR, it’s fine. This isn’t a clone, but a genuine GM/Bosch model. You already know how useful a Tech 2 is for even the most basic XLR problems, so I don’t need to sell it on it’s merits. I had a good time exploring the innards of the XLR and it more than paid for itself with Folding Top Re-learns and sensor replacements, not to mention a few codes that would have had me taking it into a dealership otherwise.

The asking price for the Tech 2 is $1000 OBO, (plus $50 shipping) The DVD: $200, (It’s like having your own on-call, certified XLR tech walk you through the Folding Top when there’s a problem, including how to use the Tech 2 to troubleshoot it) and the XLR Course: $100. I’ll bundle the whole thing for $1000, just to move it quicker for someone who really wants to learn about their car. I’ll offer it here first, and some other Cadillac sites later on if it doesn’t move. I want the hard-core members here to get the first crack at this stuff, since I know this it will go to good homes and be useful and informative.

PM me with any offers or questions and I’ll hook you up.

I’m retaining my XLR Service Manuals to be able to answer any questions members might have in the future, so I’ll be sticking around. I may not be as active as I once was, but I can always be reached via PM if someone needs help that is eluding them otherwise. My preference is open forum discussion so everyone can learn.

This forum has come a long way in the last seven years. The knowledgebase is solid and useful, there are more members offering help to one another, and the site continues to attract new members – the new people are the lifeblood of any group. Teach them well, and they’ll be the old members soon enough. We all started at ground zero knowledge-wise.

This is by far, the best XLR-themed site available due to the help and contagious love for the XLR that is evident in each and every post. Other sites are shooting galleries when it comes to inter-personal relations; everyone here is cordial and respectful. I cannot emphasize enough how important that is. You all do it effortlessly.

It's been a pleasure driving amongst you,

CC

Attachments

• Last Day-1.jpg
    Last Day-1.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 354
  • Tech 2-1.jpg
    Tech 2-1.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 309
  • Tech 2-2.jpg
    Tech 2-2.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 303
  • XLR Folding Top DVD Menu.jpg
    XLR Folding Top DVD Menu.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 347
  • Pg 0.jpg
    Pg 0.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 344
  • Features Manual.jpg
    Features Manual.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:
I had a motorcycle many years ago, sold it. Regretted it. Bought another one 10 years later. It's paid for now, I won't be selling it even if I only ride it a couple of times a year now.

I'm sure you'll be buying some convertible in the next couple of years.

You may indeed be right. . . I kept my 1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo for thirty-one years! :wave:

Last edited:
Both course manuals and the DVD sold last night. I'm lowering the price of the Tech 2 to $750 plus shipping.

CC :wave:

CC, I've been on the forum just two years and have definitely benefitted from all of your knowledge and posts. Thanks so much for your help and willingness to make us all more knowledgeable about our cars. I would add one thing to your post. Attending the events and meeting our members in person also makes this site special. We do love our XLRs, thanks again for all your help. Living in Ohio, I can understand your need for something other than an XLR. Good luck with your new ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The long goodbye

Cc
I hope you have good luck with your new ride. I want to thank you for all the help you have given the members thru the years. I am glad to hear you kept your manuals as to help in the future. You are one in a million with your writing and diagnosis. I'm sorry I missed buying your top videos and literature.
Thanks again
V Happy

Sorry to hear that you are letting go of her. I have also benefited from your many posts. Hope you will drop in from time to time, good luck with the new ride. :worship:

The long goodbye

worship.gif
CC ,,,, I want to thank you ever so much for your outstanding contributions to the XLR community at this site. You have a wealth of knowledge and talent, which has helped many of us in times of confusion and doubt. I'm not sure we can replace you, so be sure to stop back often.

I understand what you meant by down-sizing the fleet of vehicles, I've done the same over the past few years. And those horrendous, pothole roads you now encounter do take the enjoyment of driving the XLR down to a lower level.

ENJOY the XTS, and I hope it will get you through the severe New England winters.......

p z

:worship:CC ,,,, I want to thank you ever so much for your outstanding contributions to the XLR community at this site. You have a wealth of knowledge and talent, which has helped many of us in times of confusion and doubt. I'm not sure we can replace you, so be sure to stop back often.

I understand what you meant by down-sizing the fleet of vehicles, I've done the same over the past few years. And those horrendous, pothole roads you now encounter do take the enjoyment of driving the XLR down to a lower level.

ENJOY the XTS, and I hope it will get you through the severe New England winters.......

p z

Thanks for the kind words (from all of you!!!) The roads make driving kinda (okay, real) sucky here, but at stoplights, the XLR rules!!!

CC :wave:

A GREAT LOSS

Well CC, I've only been an XLR owner and member of this forum for about 2 months but can tell from all of your posts that your departure will be deeply felt by many like me who rely on those like you who not only are extremely knowledgeable on these cars, but more than willing to help with problems. It only took a few visits to this site to see who the real "go-to guy" was.

I do hope you keep popping in to keep us all running!

Best of luck with your relocation and that new XTS.

Hi CC,
Sorry my post is a bit late, but wanted to express my sincere appreciation for all of the help and knowledge you provided during my 6 great years of XLR ownership!
Hope you enjoy your XTS! They are beautiful cars.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom