Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

The return of THE GREAT ONE!

Crimson Pearl

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Crimson Pearl XLR
I purchased my first car back in 1972, a 1966 Pontiac GTO. I purchased it from the folks that had ordered it new in 1966. I drove it through my college years and the first few years after I graduated and was working for the power company. As the years went by, It was driven less and less and eventually it was parked. I placed it into dry storage and it remained there for many years. Last July, it came out of storage and went into the restoration shop for a full off-frame rotisserie restoration. The work was completed and the GREAT ONE returned to me last week. Here is a photo of me and the car shortly after I purchased it in 1972.
GTOMiddleton.jpg
Here is a photo of the GTO arriving at the restoration shop and being unloaded.
DSC01039_zpsc4739019.jpg
And here it is at the restoration shop, 16 months later, ready to leave.
DSC01459_zpse5708bb6.jpg
DSC01462_zps21324d04.jpg
Here is a photo taken at sunset at my neighbors house.
DSC01467_zpsad1a2635.jpg
I'll post some more photos later.

It looks like they did a GREAT job! I know you're happy to have it back home. Now just go take some 1st places in some shows! :thumbsup

You will have to bring it to the Arthritis Foundation Car Show in Dublin, Ohio next Summer. Not only will we have our own XLR class but there must have been 40 or 50 GTO's at this show. Some really nice late '60s and early 70's muscle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You should've went to the Montana Rocket run!! You could've meet David North! He was one of the head designers for the early 60's GTO's!! Both he AND his wife, were great people!! It was an honor meeting them!!

Chad

You should've went to the Montana Rocket run!! You could've meet David North! He was one of the head designers for the early 60's GTO's!! Both he AND his wife, were great people!! It was an honor meeting them!!

Chad

That would have been quite a treat for me.

I've owned my GTO for so long (42 years), it seems like an integral part of me.

Tipping my hat for your,,,,

,,,,, fantastic effort of keeping the GOAT for all of those years,,,restoring it to new,,,and once again having a true classic ride to show off and drive...

I had a new '67 Firebird 400-4speed I drove through my college years, and still to this day kick myself in the butt for ever selling it. Damn shame that premium gas isn't $0.33/9 per gallon any longer.....

This just in!

This photo was sent to me from the Restoration Shop that did the work on my GTO. They took the car out before it came back to me for some photos. This photo will probably be used in their 2015 Calendar!

DSC00962_zps80d58e43.jpg

Beautiful car, glad you were able to hang onto it all these years, and kept it unmolested. Looks beautiful.
Bruce

December 14, 1972

By the way, it was 42 years ago today that I purchased The Great One!

It was a great day for me then, and a good day today, 42 years later, as I had the GTO out for a nice little drive. Sunny and about 60 degrees here today.

That's a great story and you are lucky to still have it. I wish I could have done the same thing with my '68 Charger R/T. I got it as a graduation gift in 1969 purchased from the original owners with about 2,500 miles on it and drove it till 1988. Sold it to help pay for the house I am still living in. Wish I would have just taken out a loan on the house and kept the car, but the big problem was I didn't have a garage to keep it in and it had been sitting outside for years which wasn't helping the condition. Still was in good shape compared to what I see being restored on the current series of TV programs. 440 CI 375 HP with factory disc brakes, it was fast in a straight line, but my XLR-V would have passed it like it was sitting still and going around corners was another story. Had it up to 140 MPH one time and it felt like it was going to take off. Here is a picture of it sitting in the driveway around 1985 after it had received a few dings over the years. I can imagine the feeling of seeing it fully restored like your GTO!

First Car Show for the Great One!

"The Great One" went out yesterday for her first Car Show. The weather was sunny, but cool, with a high of about 50 degrees. The show was conducted by the Carolina Cruisers in Bessemer City, NC at the PizzaGalli, which is a family-owned pizza restaurant.

It was referred to as the "Sweet 16" Car Show since it was held on Valentines Day and they awarded trophies for the "Top 16" cars. They were awarded in no particular order, so you didn't know who was #1, #16 or anywhere in between.

"The Great One" took home one of the "Sweet 16" trophies. Nice for her first outing!

I have attached a few pictures. Just as the trophies were awarded, a cloud covered the sun and it got very cool very quickly. I didn't get a picture of the trophy with the car until I got her back home in her nice warm garage.

GTO with trophy 021415 full.jpgGTO @ Carolina Cruisers Bessemer City Feb. 14, 2015.jpgCarolina Cruisers 021415.jpgGTO with trophy 021415 hood.jpg

That's a great story and you are lucky to still have it. I wish I could have done the same thing with my '68 Charger R/T.

GREAT color!!

It is a shame that you didn't keep it. How sweet it would be to have it now fully restored!

Calendar girl

My GTO made it into the Annual Calendar for the shop that did the restoration work on The Great One! Here's a photo of the September pages of the calendar, and the same photo in a larger format.
KR%20Calendar%20September%202015_zpsgtlvo0hn.jpg
DSC00962_zps80d58e43.jpg

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry