Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

This is worth a new thread

standby-V

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Lt. Platinum & 2006 Lt. Platinum XLR-V
First, please don't shoot the messenger~:bash:

Took my 06-V to D3 design yesterday to have a partial Corsa exhaust put on. Partial meaning I wanted to keep my baffles, but alas that didn't fly.
Now for the good news: You guys want more HP for $500 bucks, here ya go.

Was also going to have it re-flashed so it would stop falling on it's face and then jumping like a frog into second gear.

The owners manager came into the waiting room shaking his head and said the following.

"My tech just brought your V back from the dyno shop and they could not believe the readings so they did 2 more dyno's. The tech, who never uses the word Wicked, came in and told me that this V dynod out at 445 hp to the rear wheels which converted puts 565 hp at the fly wheel. I have no explanation for what your car is doing unless you have had your car to a speed shop and had some other work done."

I then told him the only thing I had done was to remove the matting and add the Volant cone filters and still have the intake with the baffles in, which D3 changes out when they do a stage #1. Then he said.

"We had a big blower fan in front of the car to keep it cool because they where taking it up to 137 MPH and the car ran exceptionally cooler than any other V's we have worked on. in fact, most other V's dynod out at 412 hp.
The only thing we can think of is your are getting a ram-air effect that's forcing the air past the baffles into the supercharger and this engine is loving every bit of it...... or somehow they might have slipped a hybrid engine in your car and didn't realize it."
I told them that every car gets run up on a dyno at the factory so why didn't they catch it?
to which he replied.
"It has to be the ram-air then."

He wants to meet at Fontana drag strip one of these weekends and run some 1/4's and 0-60 and gets some paper on the car and is bringing one of their hot cars to see how it fairs against mine annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd is bringing tools to try and get more out of mine.
I'm either the luckiest guy in the world or it's just plain dumb luck that I found that matting and installed the Volant system. Any cold air system would do just as well and if you run the tubing along the top of the engine without the baffles in there to stop the air, it would really force the air into the SC.
I just might have that done but can't put the engine cover on after that, unless I cut it to fit.
He also said before I sell this car he wants first crack at it. Now why would I do a thing like sell it with 565 HP under me.

I also can hear the SC whine, but it was falling on it's face when shifting from first to second gear, again he said that's because it's producing to much HP, so we went back to the dyno guy and he dropped the shift points by 200 RPM's and we took it out and it shifted like a B&M Hydro, in other words like a dragster or funny car. It was like 1st and 2nd and 3rd where all one gear.
There it is............Beleive it or Not Ripley.
Anyone that could come up with a solution may do so, just don't think "I had a dream", like Martin Luther King.
I apologize for the length of this thread but I know people are going to have questions and I wanted to try and answer everyone now.

I missed Craig at SEMA, was curious about talking to them. 445 at the rear wheels sounds nice, and not to steal your thunder, but that's a lot of loss if they figure crank HP at 565. But they should be the experts. Congrats and good numbers any way you look at it. Looking forward to seeing it soon.
Bruce

Bob, what a great car. You and Mark are NOT going to do any racing while you are with us!!!!!!!!! Please remove this thread before he sees it!! ;););)

I'll be too busy eating and drinking to be racing anything other than a corkscrew!!

I agree, but what do I do after my two drink limit? Just eat? It's just nice to know the V was as fast as I and Hans thought it was. Kinda nice to say it's up their in the 500's too. We will find out the numbers on this machine before the end of the year at Fontana. I just figured another possibility. I run with my baffles wide open with no restriction. That just might have been my touch of genius without knowing it.
Is the :bar00: open yet?
I'll be too busy eating and drinking to be racing anything other than a corkscrew!!

HOT

I'm really happy the car is performing well Standby. Don't tear it up before SA. I want to ride in it. I know a stretch of road we can hit. There is a great roadhouse along the way, that serves a great margarita. Just my opinion, but I think with the new flash and the ram air you have a horse. :rocker:

I have adjusted my thinking which they didn't consider, as most of you know I got into the baffle module and cut that ominous red wire and found that controlled the baffles, put a rocker switch in the center console and keep it open most of the time which gives me a good expulsion of exhaust, this might attribute to these numbers also. They are as dumb founded as I am where this HP is coming from, but hey, why look a gift horse in the mouth. You know how cool it is to answer that question a lot of people ask. How much HP are you putting out and be able to use numbers like 500? I'm not going to tout any numbers over 500 until I can get it on the strip.
D3 said they can put a number on it once we get it down the track a few times.
I'm really happy the car is performing well Standby. Don't tear it up before SA. I want to ride in it. I know a stretch of road we can hit. There is a great roadhouse along the way, that serves a great margarita. Just my opinion, but I think with the new flash and the ram air you have a horse. :rocker:

Those are some impressive numbers. That car is a keeper for sure.

I think it runs like that because Hans and I took it up to 158 twice on I-40 back in 06 for RI.

I am a firm believer in the fact most of today's cars learn driving habits - so I strongly believe you should drive the way you want it to respond. My CTS downshifts much more aggresively than it did when I first got it; but I do drive the pi$$ out of it! :D

I am a firm believer in the fact most of today's cars learn driving habits - so I strongly believe you should drive the way you want it to respond. My CTS downshifts much more aggresively than it did when I first got it; but I do drive the pi$$ out of it! :D

Now, why don't you tell us all how you broke in my XLR and your Shelby, smart guy :bash::bash::bash::bash:

Hot V

Now I am jealous My V only made 387 to wheels before I did dyno tune and D3 stage 1 intake and plugs. The best I get now is 409 to wheels. I am anxious to see what you do on the track. I bet you will come awful close to 12.0.

Terry,
Craig and I wish we knew what's giving this car this kind of HP and didn't do anything at D3 except dyno and the flash came after the numbers from the dyno and didn't do much on the chart. I was looking for 12.0 at Fontana too.
Wanted to go to Fontana but I've had some health issues AGAIN and called it off this afternoon. Since then I get an atrial Fib. Let's take a wait and see attitude.
I just hate getting old. I think we all should get a shot at 75 and go to sleep until they find some cures for some of this stuff.
WAIT..................STOP............I am 75, don't give me that shot.

Now I am jealous My V only made 387 to wheels before I did dyno tune and D3 stage 1 intake and plugs. The best I get now is 409 to wheels. I am anxious to see what you do on the track. I bet you will come awful close to 12.0.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom