Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! three beeps

Bob M

My XLR/V(s)
Crimson Pearl - 2004 XLR
I'm new to an XLR. When I shut off the car and walked away I expected to hear one beep to tell me the doors were locked. I heard three. The car was off, the lights were off too. Does anyone know what three beeps are supposed to mean?
Thanks,
Bob M

Usually three beeps is telling you that the car was turned off and a door was opened and closed and the fob is still somewhere in the car.
Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks Tim

Thanks for the reply Tim. I was out of the car with the fob in my pocket. I was standing in front of the car talking to a friend.

My car has done that too for me lately... as I a walking away it complains: yet the key is in my pocket. How come? I have not got around to digging thru my owners manual. It still does that if I leave the keys in the car, shut it off and get out.....like it is supposed to do. As far as I know it should not do this if the cars are not in the car. :dunno:

Needing some insight please!

I'm new to an XLR. When I shut off the car and walked away I expected to hear one beep to tell me the doors were locked. I heard three. The car was off, the lights were off too. Does anyone know what three beeps are supposed to mean?
Thanks,
Bob M

Three beeps implies something is (or might be) wrong. The most common (for me) is arrive, stop, switch off, open door, get out, leave door open, get back in and close door. My XLR 'thinks' I am shutting the fob inside the car but without me.

If that doesn't cover your situation, it suggests something else is 'wrong'. The DIS should be displaying an appropriate message which can give you a clue? Consulting the owner's manual, the only thing that I can find that sounds the horn three times is the 'fob in car' reminder. Is there a second fob in the car?

There are ways to turn off the 3-beeps-fob-in-car reminder, if you want. Info is in the owner's manual (they're all in the Tech Center on here which is nice because you can search them). It doesn't get rid of any underlying problem but stops the noise.

I always turn turn all the beeping off that I can because I don't like it. Unfortunately you can't do that on my CTS Coupe, so I get honked at when I pull in my garage & leave everything in my car to go in my house briefly before I leave again ... ughhh :(

My XLR has its own ghost in the machine about the fob as at least half the time when I open the door it's chiming away as if the key was left inside, when it wasn't. I guess I'd get the 3 beeps too if I had that turned on. However, I'm not having any other problems so I assume it's not serious.

Last edited:
My XLR has its own ghost in the machine about the fob as at least half the time when I open the door it's chiming away as if the key was left inside, when it wasn't.

I get the same thing. I also see the starter button glowing when the doors lock. I get the beeping too at times when I open the door, even if I use the FOB to unlock the doors. If you turn on the ACC then off the beeping stops but the button still will glow when you shut the door.

I've tried checking everything and find nothing wrong that I can see.:dunno:

:wave::wave:

There was a great response to this question of the "3 Beeps" on this forum, but I can't find it. It basically said that: on '06 models and older, as I recall, that the detection of the fob was defective, but there's a technical update (applied via Tech2) that fixes it. It seems that our fobs are determined to still be inside, even when we walk past the left front of the car before the car goes into the locking mode.

My fix? Just do not walk close to the left front fender after closing the door, for about 8 seconds. :) I find it a good opportunity to check out the left rear of the car, etc.

Someone with better search capabilities than I could post the link to that thread [hint...].

FWIW

Tim

Last edited:
I always turn turn all the beeping off that I can because I don't like it. Unfortunately you can't do that on my CTS Coupe, so I get honked at when I pull in my garage & leave everything in my car to go in my house briefly before I leave again ... ughhh :(

You can stop the beep by locking (or,IIRC unlocking) your XLR with the remote before the horn sounds. Maybe that would work for your CTS too?

There are ways to turn off the 3-beeps-fob-in-car reminder, if you want. Info is in the owner's manual (they're all in the Tech Center on here which is nice because you can search them). It doesn't get rid of any underlying problem but stops the noise.

My XLR has its own ghost in the machine about the fob as at least half the time when I open the door it's chiming away as if the key was left inside, when it wasn't. I guess I'd get the 3 beeps too if I had that turned on. However, I'm not having any other problems so I assume it's not serious.

My car will also do this from time to time....... :cool:

There was a great response to this question of the "3 Beeps" on this forum, but I can't find it. It basically said that: on '06 models and older, as I recall, that the detection of the fob was defective, but there's a technical update (applied via Tech2) that fixes it. It seems that our fobs are determined to still be inside, even when we walk past the left front of the car before the car goes into the locking mode.

My fix? Just do not walk close to the left front fender after closing the door, for about 8 seconds. :) I find it a good opportunity to check out the left rear of the car, etc.

Someone with better search capabilities than I could post the link to that thread [hint...].

FWIW

Tim

I'm sure this is accurate because when I brought my V in to have the cd changer replaced the tech said he also effected 7 different system updates for everything from the Radio/Navigation to emissions, fuel management, Stabilitrak and security systems. Since the all my "ghosts" have been cast out. 😁

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom