Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Tiny dents in the aluminum console bezel

Joeinbcs

My XLR/V(s)
2008 XLRV Black Raven/Ebony
I have a fairly minor issue with the aluminum trim near the shift quadtrant.
I have a handful of minor indentations, almost as if the PO had a nervous habit of tapping a pen or something on the aluminum trim.
I looked at trying to get a replacement bezel, but can only find the whole console available.
Has anyone replaced only the aluminum?
Anybody else have this problem?
Its pretty minor, but I thought if I could buy the aluminum, I'd save it and maybe swap it out one day...

As you already found out the aluminum trim is only available as part of the whole assembly from GM. You have 4 choices.

1. Buy the whole new assembly from GM - super expensive
  2. Find a good used aluminum trim part - hard to find
  3. Take your aluminum trim part off and hammer/dolly the dents flat - I did this, it works pretty good.
  4. Live with the dents

To remove this part, is it affixed with double sided tape or something more aggressive? I'm going to change out my door sills and these appear to be a double sided tape. My thoughts are to use a heat gun to warm the adhesive and then, gently, pry them up. Is this the same for the center console?

Place it face down on a very clean solid surface and lightly tap the plastic beneath the place the dents are at. Doesn't seem that hard..
It's not that strong aluminum.

problem

The problem with that idea is that it may work. I am a collision tech and very well know how to remove dents. I actually did Paintless dent repair for a few years at Mercedes. If you have seen the plastic piece it is not smooth and consistent on the area between the metal and plastic. I peeled a cover off to see how it was made to see if they could be removed. (the answer is Most likely not) It is rough. it has casting lines and lots of irregularities in it. You are very likely to put more outies into the panel than you remove innies. But it sounds like a good idea. it may work on some. As you know your mileage may vary... I would not recommend it. Just like I would not recommend using a hot glue stick to pull the dents out even though it worked very well for me and made a couple of panels flawless but I have pulled thousands of hail dents out that way.

The problem with that idea is that it may work. I am a collision tech and very well know how to remove dents. I actually did Paintless dent repair for a few years at Mercedes. If you have seen the plastic piece it is not smooth and consistent on the area between the metal and plastic. I peeled a cover off to see how it was made to see if they could be removed. (the answer is Most likely not) It is rough. it has casting lines and lots of irregularities in it. You are very likely to put more outies into the panel than you remove innies. But it sounds like a good idea. it may work on some. As you know your mileage may vary... I would not recommend it. Just like I would not recommend using a hot glue stick to pull the dents out even though it worked very well for me and made a couple of panels flawless but I have pulled thousands of hail dents out that way.

Mickeytee, I also am a PDR guy, have been for 20 years. Nice to have another dent guy on here! I also work in collision/restoration.

Cool, so get a dentless repair guy to do it with hotglue. Sounds inexpensive, but how long will it really last? I guess you just need to be extra careful afterwards.

not really

Cool, so get a dentless repair guy to do it with hotglue. Sounds inexpensive, but how long will it really last? I guess you just need to be extra careful afterwards.
PDR guys make pretty good money. The repairs last but as you know if you lay anything on it with an edge it can dent again. That's why I tore one apart to see If I could drill holes in it and pour in something to fill the void and make it solid. Its just too irregular to do much with.

tiny dents in metal ar shift console

I have a fairly minor issue with the aluminum trim near the shift quadtrant.
I have a handful of minor indentations, almost as if the PO had a nervous habit of tapping a pen or something on the aluminum trim.
I looked at trying to get a replacement bezel, but can only find the whole console available.
Has anyone replaced only the aluminum?
Anybody else have this problem?
Its pretty minor, but I thought if I could buy the aluminum, I'd save it and maybe swap it out one day...

Yes. I have some on the entire piece.

Removal

Place it face down on a very clean solid surface and lightly tap the plastic beneath the place the dents are at. Doesn't seem that hard..
It's not that strong aluminum.

If I could find a good one, how do I remove the old one????

2 other choices

I "wrapped" mine in Carbon fiber 3 M vinyl wrap.
I bought another one from some one on this forum and primered it and painted it high gloss black (like my Raven colored XLR) and then sprayed gloss clear coat over that. It looks pretty good, But I scratched it BECAUSE I WAS IN A HURRY PUTTING IT BACK IN!!! I will post a picture after I re -do it

The bad part is you sudden realize that you will need to do the center piece , the doors and the steering wheel it you want it to match:pat:

Metal trim at shifter

I "wrapped" mine in Carbon fiber 3 M vinyl wrap.
I bought another one from some one on this forum and primered it and painted it high gloss black (like my Raven colored XLR) and then sprayed gloss clear coat over that. It looks pretty good, But I scratched it BECAUSE I WAS IN A HURRY PUTTING IT BACK IN!!! I will post a picture after I re -do it

The bad part is you sudden realize that you will need to do the center piece , the doors and the steering wheel it you want it to match:pat:[/QUOT

That's nice, but I still want someone to tell me the steps on how to remove it.

removal

start by pulling the chrome trim ring down on the shifter stalk, and loosen the screw that holds the shift knob in place. (Torx T-15)

Open the ashtray door. Pull the console up starting from the rear and move to the forward corners to free it from the retaining clips.

Then, disconnect the electrical connector and inspect the mechanism.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom