Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Tire repair kits

jjsea55

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Black Raven XLR-V, Shale interior
I'd appreciate any recommendations for on-board tire repair kits from those of you using conventional tires with your XLR's. I've been fortunate thus far, but with the second fitting of tires on the near horizon, I want to add this to my hazard-control plan. I have On-Star and hazard insurance, but would like to fix & go if the event occurs.

As an aside... I've looked at the "Slime" kits on Amazon. They "claim" to be TPS-safe, but have no experience with this. I know I'll want to add (or include) a puncture plug kit, but there are all manners of those for sale. Would there happen to be a GM-sponsored kit available?

Thanks for your input!

I'd appreciate any recommendations for on-board tire repair kits from those of you using conventional tires with your XLR's. I've been fortunate thus far, but with the second fitting of tires on the near horizon, I want to add this to my hazard-control plan. I have On-Star and hazard insurance, but would like to fix & go if the event occurs.

As an aside... I've looked at the "Slime" kits on Amazon. They "claim" to be TPS-safe, but have no experience with this. I know I'll want to add (or include) a puncture plug kit, but there are all manners of those for sale. Would there happen to be a GM-sponsored kit available?

Thanks for your input!

My car came with aired tires when I bought her and it has a kit that was in the small storage hole on the right side of the trunk. It is labeled GM tire repair kit it has a black plastic bottle with a lid and a small hose adapter that screws on to the bottle and the other end goes on tire stem, never read instructions but I believe you need to squeeze some of liquid into the tire then it has mini air compressor that you pump it back up with. When I get a chance I'll pull it out in see if there is a reorder number or some other info on there. I also bought from Walmart a plug kit I found a small tool kit with just some wrenches, ratchet, screw drivers that came in a zipper case that fits right in the hole just in case of emergency! And I keep some clean rags and folded up towel to lay on stuffed in there to keep it all from rattling around! It's all about packing to get it in!
LOL
Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Thanks Dan

When I first thought about going runflatless, I did some research. For a large amount of money, your Cadillac dealer can order the sealant & compressor kit that is standard equipment on the CTS coupe. I didn't closely examine it to determine who makes the sealant, although I recall thinking the kit would not fit into the storage bin in my XLR. Ultimately, I chose Slime because Fix-A-Flat carries warnings about freezing.

I bought the bigger-than-necessary can of Slime at WalMart.

Thanks, guys... I'm not particularly interested in donating an arm and leg to the GM cause just to have the logo. The Slime kit with air compressor may be the best option... plus a solid plug kit. I already keep an assembled tool kit in the trunk compartment, but will need to add this capability before hitting the road for ball games this fall.

Any and all suggestions or history will be welcomed. Hoping it will never have to be used, but better safe than sorry if an event occurs. I may look into the AAA program as added insurance.

AAA 77$ a yr. for a numbers amount of times to use, but never use them more than twice a yr! Don't remember how many times a yr?

I would not expect any type of tire sealant to be safe for use with TPMS sensors. If you chose to go that way just add in the cost of a new sensor and mounting for any flat you get. Think about it.. The goo is meant to fill and prevent air from passing through a small hole. What does the TPMS rely on to work? A small hole that air passes through.

I carry a mushroom type plug gun and a cheap compact compressor I bought for the bike many years ago. I also keep the number for road service in my glove box.

I would not expect any type of tire sealant to be safe for use with TPMS sensors. If you chose to go that way just add in the cost of a new sensor and mounting for any flat you get. Think about it.. The goo is meant to fill and prevent air from passing through a small hole. What does the TPMS rely on to work? A small hole that air passes through.

I carry a mushroom type plug gun and a cheap compact compressor I bought for the bike many years ago. I also keep the number for road service in my glove box.

Fred
This mushroom type plug gun you mention here where can one buy one of these??

The last pressure sensor replacement I got was about $25.... is that a big deal? (honest question)

To me that doesn't sound like a whole lot of money to be concerned about in regards to avoiding using slime - especially if the alternative is being stranded or trying to repair a tire on the side of a freeway...

The last pressure sensor replacement I got was about $25.... is that a big deal? (honest question)

To me that doesn't sound like a whole lot of money to be concerned about in regards to avoiding using slime - especially if the alternative is being stranded or trying to repair a tire on the side of a freeway...

Can you share where you got one for $25? 3 times that is usual. I've found them for $60.

There is also the service charge for using slime. Some shops here charge $25-$50 if there is goo in the tire.

Delivery of the sensor and upcharge could be an issue depending on where you are. Not every shop stocks them.

Just somthing to think about. Of course, if you are stuck $500 may be OK.

Can you share where you got one for $25? 3 times that is usual. I've found them for $60.

The last 4 I bought on ebay for $25/each (no tax, free shipping) - they were used, but for that price I didn't care... there are few on there that about $30 but they are always availalbe for about $25 shipped if you wait for them.

You can also get them brand new on Amazon.com for $43/each with free shipping if you don't like used

Amazon.com: ACDelco 25758220 Tire Pressure Sensor: Automotive

There is also the service charge for using slime. Some shops here charge $25-$50 if there is goo in the tire.

I don't doubt people will do that, but thats silly - I'd recommend you find another shop - there are tons of shops that will repair tires for free. Wow $25 to rinse out the inside of a tire? thats nuts

Delivery of the sensor and upcharge could be an issue depending on where you are. Not every shop stocks them.

I just keep them in my shop drawer as I need them... but you could easily just keep the spares in your glove box - they aren't very big

they're actually pretty easy to replace too, just break the bead on the tire, swap sensors, and re-inflate... no need to re-balance if you haven't rotated the tire on the rim - done in about 30 mins

The last 4 I bought on ebay for $25/each (no tax, free shipping) - they were used, but for that price I didn't care... there are few on there that about $30 but they are always availalbe for about $25 shipped if you wait for them.

You can also get them brand new on Amazon.com for $43/each with free shipping if you don't like used

Amazon.com: ACDelco 25758220 Tire Pressure Sensor: Automotive

I don't doubt people will do that, but thats silly - I'd recommend you find another shop - there are tons of shops that will repair tires for free. Wow $25 to rinse out the inside of a tire? thats nuts

I just keep them in my shop drawer as I need them... but you could easily just keep the spares in your glove box - they aren't very big

they're actually pretty easy to replace too, just break the bead on the tire, swap sensors, and re-inflate... no need to re-balance if you haven't rotated the tire on the rim - done in about 30 mins

Thanks for the link.

Maybe tire shops near you do it for free, but not here. Some will not work on them at any price. They hate vacuuming the stuff and say that it clogs the vacuum filter every time. Have you ever done it? I have and it is a pain.

I personally would never buy used sensors since you would not know how old the battery is or how much life is left. That is also the reason I wouldn't stock them.

I also would never not recheck/rebalance the tire after breaking one down. I get things rebalanced about every 2nd rotation anyway. Balance problems is just another reason not to use tire sealant.

Just my opinion.

Thanks for the link.

Maybe tire shops near you do it for free, but not here. Some will not work on them at any price. They hate vacuuming the stuff and say that it clogs the vacuum filter every time. Have you ever done it? I have and it is a pain.

I personally would never buy used sensors since you would not know how old the battery is or how much life is left. That is also the reason I wouldn't stock them.

I also would never not recheck/rebalance the tire after breaking one down. I get things rebalanced about every 2nd rotation anyway. Balance problems is just another reason not to use tire sealant.

Just my opinion.

Yep hit nail right on the head! Could not said it better myself! Lol

Yes I have done it - I really don't think its a big deal... frankly, I think that removing bead sealant is more of a pain, but even that takes no time at all with an eraser wheel.... Look - the bottom line is that tire work is just dirty work - it is what it is, dirty and messy work... not my favorite but ya just get through it.

From my research, the sensors are rated for 6+ years with normal driving - which I'm assuming is something around 12k miles a year... when they aren't moved, they go into a deep sleep mode that makes them pretty much last forever... you have to really get them going to turn on... this is why you have to get a few rotations to get them to read on the dash when replaced - they don't randomly turn on. So I don't think you're taking much of a gamble buying used sensors - but even new ones only cost $20 more anyways if you can't stomach the minut risk.

Additionally - when the batteries do die on these modules, they don't just suddenly go dead.. you'll see them occasionally not report a pressure, and they'll come back... and then randomly go away... so you have plenty of warning to order a new one and have it ready so you can get them swapped when you get new tires put on at a shop if you don't want to do it yourself.

I never said to break the tires down, I said just break the bead where the sensor is and swap it out... you don't need to break the tire down and remove it from the rim to the swap, and you don't need to rebalance if you do that.

I have all my tires road forced balanced when first mounted and I have them done under 10lbs of variance (spec is 15lbs, most of my tires are actually 7lbs or under)... I've tested it myself where you balance them, break the bead, swap sensors, re-inflate them and it makes on difference to the balance. So now I don't even bother balancing them afterwards when doing that sort of work. If you get them road force balanced correctly the first time (where they actually rotate the tire on the rim to get the best balance) its really hard to get them messed up after that... I also mark the tired on the rim before working on them to make sure the tire hasn't been slipping on the rim - I've found this to be common when the shop uses too much lube to get the tire to seat. And that slipping caused a repeat balance issue.

Anyhow YMMV - but I haven't found this sort of stuff to be all that big of a deal.

Also - I don't doubt that the slime could cause some balance issues, but its purely a temporary fix to get you home or to the shop.... arguably, the plugs could also cause balance issues - along with any tire damage that caused the flat in the first place.

So not using slim to save on a $25 or $43 sensor may or may not be a big deal if it can get you on the road safely and quickly... I was just trying to understand why it was such a big deal, but I guess I now know. Thanks. :lol:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom