Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

TIRE ROTATION

Steve Lee

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
The guy that owns the garage that I use, said that the right front should go on the right rear, and the left front on the left rear. Then the tire that was on the left rear goes on the right front, and the one that was on the right rear goes on the left front. I like to hear some comments about this before I have it done. I've never owned a car with only four tires, and no spare, so I don't know how it should be done. Your comments are greatly appreciated!

The guy that owns the garage that I use, said that the right front should go on the right rear, and the left front on the left rear. Then the tire that was on the left rear goes on the right front, and the one that was on the right rear goes on the left front. I like to hear some comments about this before I have it done. I've never owned a car with only four tires, and no spare, so I don't know how it should be done. Your comments are greatly appreciated!

Hi Steve,

Pretty good article here: Access Denied

Not knowing what tires you're using, meaning directional or not, follow the recommendations that might best apply.

HTH!

Gord :thumbsup

The car had these tires on at time of my purchasing it, with about 25,000 miles on it. Now I have about 38,000 miles on it. They are: Continental Control Contact, 235/50 ZR18 Radial Tubeless. Are they the originals from the factory??, and should they be rotated per my original thread??

The car had these tires on at time of my purchasing it, with about 25,000 miles on it. Now I have about 38,000 miles on it. They are: Continental Control Contact, 235/50 ZR18 Radial Tubeless. Are they the originals from the factory??, and should they be rotated per my original thread??

Hi Steve,
Check the date on the tires. You can Google that and see how to find it. That's important - they really shouldn't be older than say, 6 or 7 years regardless of mileage and wear. I have no idea what the XLR came with originally and I can't see specs on your tire regarding directional or non-directional, sorry.

They don't seem to make that exact tire anymore best as I can find, so that's usually a clue that they're not very current and may have not been very popular for one reason or another. That or they just 'updated' them with another name or suffix of sorts.

All in all, it seems your tire guy knows what he's doing - you could leave it all in his hands I'd say, but do verify the dates - looks can be very deceiving.

HTH!

Hi Gord, I have been waiting to see your comments or someones with regards to checking the dates on the tires. I can't imagine someone running 15 year old tires on a car.
John F.

Steve.

Enclosed is a copy of the owners manual that tells about how the rotation should be made.

Also is an other copy of the manual that indiccate when to change the tires.

You mention that the car had only 25000 miles when you purchased it, around 2017, then the tires should have been almost new, then after 3 years that you owne the XLR 13,000 miles were made, obviously the tires should be in good order and as per the GM recommendations, why should you change them if they are fines.

A rotation would be fine, its my opinion.

IAN

Tires rotation.jpgtires time replacement.png

Gord, The tires say: DOT CN1P 1515; I googled how to date them, and if I read it correctly; they were made in the 15th week of 2015. So the last time they were changed out was in 2015. Is that correct?, and if so that was, in all probability, the second change out. The tires have 3/16 -4/16 tread, no abrations ,cuts, or any other visual damage; so I'm just going to have them rotated per the manual- r/f to r/rear; l/f to l/rear.. and r/rear to l/front, and l/rear to r/front.

Morning Steve,
The 15/15 sure sounds possible and that would be their manufactured date. Logically, they were installed on the car after that date and could have been even say, a year ago depending on how well Continental managed rotating their stock and such. A five year old tire should be just fine and your plan to rotate them as per the manual is excellent. Do keep in mind that a fresh set of something should be put on your calendar to be done within the next couple of years.

@beaver_jd: Yes indeed, we live and learn, especially with the current tire offerings being so synthetic. In 2009 I bought a set of beautiful Pirelli P-Zero tires for a project car and life got in the way and that car didn't get done as planned.

I sold the wheels with the tires installed (some still had the stickers on them). Received a call a week or so later and the buyer told me when removing the tires from the rims, they actually -shattered-. The age versus the elements I guess. :( You would have not questioned that they were new by any means, but they were at that point little more than rim protectors. Pity.

And, I have another car that's a little JDM (Japanese Domestic Model), and its been sitting for near a decade. Perfect tread and appearance, yet all on account of the tire date, I'm having tires flown over from Japan (you can't get 'em here size-wise), which is really frustrating in more than one way.

Quebec is pretty lax regarding emissions (no annual or bi-annual testing), but as this particular car is registered in Ontario, it will be safety inspected when reregistered in this province, and I do believe the law here is 7 years max for tires.

I don't think cops spend their days walk around looking at tire dates, more that if you had an accident, they would most certainly fine you ruthlessly for not abiding.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back