Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Tire size

I'd say stock wheels only or they will bulge out and not look good and you will be dealing with possible rubbing on the inner liners. It's tough to shell out money for wider tires and have things go wrong.
What is the widest tire you can put on the 2004 stock wheels.

Regardless of whether you have a standard XLR or the XLR-V; I believe the width of the rims are all the same.(I think 8") The V's sport 235's on the front and 255 on the rears with 19" rims. So I would think putting 255's on the standard XLR wheels (18") is not a problem. I would check with someone like Tire Rack etc. to find out the widest tire for your rims.

As standby states-when you put wider tires on rims the sidewalls tend to 'bulge' and you also may make the tires stand taller, messing up your speedo.

I have 255/45 18 on mine and dont seem to have any problems. They were on the car when I bought it though. Looks like the guy might have run them a little low on air, all the tires seem to have slightly more tread in the center section.

I am contemplating a similar switch.
The base XLR rim is 18 x 8.0 with 235/50-18 tires. (27.3 dia & 9.7 wide)
The V uses 19 x 8.5 rims with 235/45-19 tires front & 255/40-19 tires rear.
Using the stock V Pirelli tires the rear tire is a 27.0 dia & 10.6 cross section. I think the rub (so to speak) is the front tires, with a 9.7 wide base & 9.4 wide V tire. If that all makes sense.
I really don't want to run different size tires front & rear. I found a Michelin Pilot Sport in 255/40-19 that measures 27.0 dia and 10.2 wide cross section. That almost sounds like it would fit, sure would be nice to know in advance.
Assuming Hawk is running a Michelin, his 255/45-18 measures 26.9 dia x 10.3 wide. Hawk, what brand are you running? Any rubbing issues?
Bruce

I know in the past if you were to go to tire rack or discount tires site you can put your car model year etc and they will list the tires that will fit your car and functionaly work. If they dont have that then you can go there shop and they will look at there service computor and tell advise you.

Fred:wave:

it currently has continental sport contacts (which I dont like) looking at bridgestone 960 as pole positions. no rubbing issues that i have noticed.

Sounds like you're one of the brave--running non run-flats. Good luck to you. I'd hate to have my V towed because a flat. Too many road hazards out there these days.:(

it currently has continental sport contacts (which I dont like) looking at bridgestone 960 as pole positions. no rubbing issues that i have noticed.

Sounds like you're one of the brave--running non run-flats. Good luck to you. I'd hate to have my V towed because a flat. Too many road hazards out there these days.:(

I'm also running on non-flats now... and the ride is SO much better and I rarely get tire slippage now... additionally, it deals with wet pavement better as well. The run-flats are terrible.

https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3568

I do feel a bit concerned about getting a flat - but I now carry a plug kit and pump around so I should be ok with any minor tire problems...

Overall, I think its worth getting rid of the runflats - had I not experienced the difference myself I would also probably be skeptical.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom