Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Top and trunk closures

grahamdell

My XLR/V(s)
2006 Black Raven XLR
After having a new radio installed my trunk opened slowly for a few times and then would not open at all without manual assistance. Suspecting battery power the battery was replaced. No improvement.

I put the top down, trunk opened (with out assistance) as programmed and closed. But would not open to put the top up without manual assistance. But top then went up and locked in place.

So top programming seems to be ok but trunk is having a problem. What could that be?

After having a new radio installed my trunk opened slowly for a few times and then would not open at all without manual assistance. Suspecting battery power the battery was replaced. No improvement.

I put the top down, trunk opened (with out assistance) as programmed and closed. But would not open to put the top up without manual assistance. But top then went up and locked in place.

So top programming seems to be ok but trunk is having a problem. What could that be?

Could it just be coincidence? Have you ever replaced the pneumatic assists for the trunk lid? I've had to do that once on my 2007 XLR. Same for the hood. Not very expensive.

Bernie, I like your suggestion that it may be weak supports. You replaced yours a "simple" and "inexpensive" solution. Two words not often associated with XLR repairs. But, why is it that putting the top down the trunk opens and does its thing? Is there a different system opening the trunk?

New Radio?

Hi Graham, I can't help with the trunk issue. I have an 06 V and have not replaced those cylinders and haven't had issues with hood, trunk or roof (fingers crossed)
I am, however interested in why you changed the radio. Mine decided to quit playing CDs and I can't eject them either so I am wondering what you installed as a replacement.
Thanks
Gord

Sounds like you need a top-relearn. Do a search in the forum. You will need a friend with a tech-II or a dealership.

i had a similar problem, went to the dealership and luckily they had a technician that worked on XLR's back when they were being produced and knew what to do. He too "re-learned" the program for the roof and it has worked fine ever since. There are some things I will "insist" the dealer fix and some things I can do. This turned out to be one for the dealer.

Good luck,

Sal/wife's XLR

i had a similar problem, went to the dealership and luckily they had a technician that worked on XLR's back when they were being produced and knew what to do. He too "re-learned" the program for the roof and it has worked fine ever since. There are some things I will "insist" the dealer fix and some things I can do. This turned out to be one for the dealer.

Good luck,

Sal/wife's XLR

XLR roof mechanisms are getting old, and the sensors could possibly be going bad. After a year of flawless functioning, I had to get out my TECH II and do a relearn of the FTC. Really easy to do, and after you've done it 3-4 times, you've paid for the TECH II.

Top works

I took Bernie's suggestion and replaced the gas struts on the trunk (49.78 for 2) and had my local guy install them and lube the top hardware. Everything works fine.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom