Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Top up? Top down?

buki

Account Suspended
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Xenon Blue XLR
Last weekend as I approached the Tn river bridge into Alabama something wicked my way came.

Convinced that my XLR could outrun even the fastest raindrop I forged on.

Three miles later I was sure glad the top only took 29 seconds to raise.

Attachments

• NTPKWY.jpg
    NTPKWY.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 266
BTW...I was approaching the bridge on the Natchez Trace Parkway coming from its terminus point in Franklin, Tn.

so did you actually drive thru the rain, or just outrun it? if we stay at speed does the air flow over the car keep the rain out?

so did you actually drive thru the rain, or just outrun it? if we stay at speed does the air flow over the car keep the rain out?

I remember watching a mythbuster episode where they tested that theory,and if you got wetter running or walking in the rain. Surprisingly you got wetter running and you would still get wet with the top down. I forgot what speed they were testing at?

Rain

From my experience, anything above 45 mph and he rain will go over the top of you. Its the windshield wipers pushing the water off your glass that comes around the side that gets you most wet.

Last weekend as I approached the Tn river bridge into Alabama something wicked my way came.

Convinced that my XLR could outrun even the fastest raindrop I forged on.

Three miles later I was sure glad the top only took 29 seconds to raise.

Very cool picture! Is the camera set at an advanced setting or 'saturated color'? The colors are wicked looking!

BTW: I have been caught in the rain a number of times in the last 5 minutes of the trip home, over 50 mph for light to medium rain is fine top down but if it is monster rain drops coming down hard you will get wet. Either way, you get wet when you slow down drive up your driveway!

Last edited:
What kind of effect did you do to the picture? Looks awesome. I have a xenon blue and love how it looks in your picture! Very cool:thumbsup

As for outrunning the rain. Rain drops vertical it's still dropping ten feet infront of you even if you go faster. Would hate to see what it does to the interior:(:dunno:

The times I have gotten stuck in a rain shower and have pulled over to put the top up. I get stains on the armrest of the center console. But I just wipe it down with Interrior cleaner a couple times and it comes out. But the concern I have it. When the top goes up and the quarter panels go in their particular place. What does that do if rain water gets into that area? What electronics or wires are in there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can say going 70+ mph in a heavy rain without the wipers on will net you some drips on the inside top of the door about mid-way back, from water coming off the top corners of the windshield. Otherwise the car from the windshield back was dry as a bone. I was pretty amazed! Also pretty soaked when I stopped to put the top up.

And yes going that fast in heavy rain in this car felt like one of the dumber things that I've done - but it was fun! :rocker:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom