Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Top wont open...does nothing

bearhntr

My XLR/V(s)
2008 Elektra Blue XLR
Last weekend I was driving home and it started to rain, not hard, but rain indeed. Pulled over to the side of the road and put the top up with no problems. By the time I got home, the rain had stopped (typical GA shower), and I completely dried out the inside of the car and the trunk with towels. The nest day was a nice sunny day and I parked the car in the sun with the windows down and the trunk open to air out the car.

Later tha day I was going to run errands and being in the 80s, wanted to put the top down. Since the trunk was already up, I started the car and pushed the TOP DOWN button. I got nothing. The flap behind the seat did not raise, the top did not go down...nothing happened. I pressed the TOP UP button and the trunk did close. Thinking this might reset something. Top still will not go down. It has been 4 days now, and the top still does not go down.

I decided to test the system and put the car in DRIVE - foot on brake and presssed DOWN button. I get nothing. No warnings that the car must be in PARK, nothing at all. If the trunk is open, and press the UP button --- the trunk still closes.

I have checked the motor/pump housing in the trunk and it is BONE DRY and all the fuses are intact.

Any ideas from all your brilliant people?

Thanks,
*BH*

Start by re-indexing the windows and report back.

CC :wave:

Last weekend I was driving home and it started to rain, not hard, but rain indeed. Pulled over to the side of the road and put the top up with no problems. By the time I got home, the rain had stopped (typical GA shower), and I completely dried out the inside of the car and the trunk with towels. The nest day was a nice sunny day and I parked the car in the sun with the windows down and the trunk open to air out the car.

Later tha day I was going to run errands and being in the 80s, wanted to put the top down. Since the trunk was already up, I started the car and pushed the TOP DOWN button. I got nothing. The flap behind the seat did not raise, the top did not go down...nothing happened. I pressed the TOP UP button and the trunk did close. Thinking this might reset something. Top still will not go down. It has been 4 days now, and the top still does not go down.

I decided to test the system and put the car in DRIVE - foot on brake and presssed DOWN button. I get nothing. No warnings that the car must be in PARK, nothing at all. If the trunk is open, and press the UP button --- the trunk still closes.

I have checked the motor/pump housing in the trunk and it is BONE DRY and all the fuses are intact.

Thanks,
*BH*

Is the 'down' button working at all?

Car gets "confused" when you try to do couple of things at the same time with the trunk and top functions. I did pretty much the same thing when we first got our XLR. A top relearn fixed it

Thanks to all that have replied. I have tried all of those things.

The point that stands out the most is that when the car is running and in DRIVE - when you press the TOP DOWN button, you used to get a message in the DIC that said car must be in part to operate top. That is not happening.

I have put her in the shop today. I have a warranty on the car when I purchased it last summer.

I have also asked them to make sure the top is in tip-top operating condition (lubed, etc).

Not sure what was meant by a top relearn. I followed all the steps in the manual, nothing would get it to go down.

*BH*

Make sure the trunk decider is locked in nice and tight or the roof won't go down. You may have bumped it when you were towel drying it. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure the trunk decider is locked in nice and tight or the roof won't go down. You may have bumped it when you were towel drying it. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently people are just replying to this message to reply. They are not reading the entire message.

I am no idiot, I have checked the cargo divider, and it is inplace. The car is at the dealership, and the have ordered a new switch for the console between the seats, it appears the DOWN dside of the switch has failed.

*BH*

Thanks,
*BH*
SENSOR,S jerz

Sent from my SM-T357T using Tapatalk

Top is fixed....it was the switch between the seats

Gang,

I first want to apologize if one of my messages came across as crass...it was not intended.

I am the first to admit that I do not ALWAYS read every message in a chain, but I try to. I also try not to randomly post replies without first making sure I am not repeating someone else. Again, I apologize Black Brutis and Rexster314 if I was rude.

I just got the car back from the dealership today. It was indeed the switch between the seats. The side for DOWN was worn out. The top is now fully working again and I can enjoy the sun in my eyes and wind in my hair.

Thanks again for all replies,

*BH*

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry