Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! torsion bar replacement

ron6962

My XLR/V(s)
2007 XLR Platinum Edition
I recently had my 2007 XLR serviced and was told the front torsion bar (made out of fiberglass) is beginning to sag, and needs replacement. They said the rear torsion bar is A-OK. The front of the car does sit very low and I have to be careful when pulling up to curb stops. I have serached for XLR Torsion bar and can find no reference...only sway bar kits which are different. The mechanic told me the torsion bar fits across the front and acts like a spring to keep the front raised properly. Does anyone have any info or experience with sagging torsion bars? Thanks.

Its a composite spring and they do get bad like anything else, you will need the "Leaf Spring" 10340617 stamped AKN or 15233394 stamped LPW.

Its a composite spring and they do get bad like anything else, you will need the "Leaf Spring" 10340617 stamped AKN or 15233394 stamped LPW.

Thank you for the reply, redvett94. I found what I needed with your help. Didn't know it was called a Leaf Spring, but makes sense. Thanks again.

hey usually just break . Have not seen too many wear out other than the rubber pads on the end. You might check to see if the rubber that sits on the spring is in place . If not most likely just new Corvette sourced pad will raise the car back up. they have a lot of adjustment. would be interesting to know why he thinks they are worn? It would worry me for him to call it a torsion bar instead of a leaf spring as that is a completely different design. Torsion twist. leaf springs bend

Last edited:
hey usually just break . Have not seen too many wear out other than the rubber pads on the end. You might check to see if the rubber that sits on the spring is in place . If not most likely just new Corvette sourced pad will raise the car back up. they have a lot of adjustment. would be interesting to know why he thinks they are worn? It would worry me for him to call it a torsion bar instead of a leaf spring as that is a completely different design. Torsion twist. leaf springs bend

Thanks for the note...good points. I asked the mechanic (he has a good reputation for his knowledge) about the bars and he said they (one in front and one in rear) are made of fiberglass and generally do not break or wear, but over time they begin to sag. He said there is a little adjustment left that he can try, but feels it really needs to be replaced with a new one. He said the rear bar is OK. I measured the distance (on my level garage surface) from the floor to the bottom of the frame just behind the front wheel well and just in front of the rear wheel well. The front is about 1" lower than the rear. He said it should be level. He did use torsion bar in his explanation, rather than leaf spring.....however there is no reference to a torsion bar that I can find for an XLR. I'm pretty sure he is referring to the leaf spring, but I plan to follow-up with him. Thanks again.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom