Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Transmission cable fix DIY

XLRATING

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Infrared XLR (Beauty); 2008 GT500 (Beast); 2007 Black XLR-V (Victor)
The May 2018 (yes, May) edition of Vette magazine has a 1 page article on replacing the shifter cable, or repairing by replacing the plastic grommets, on a C5. Includes info on how to do it without removing the driveline tunnel, etc. Just a FYI, the info might be helpful for doing this on our cars. :wave:

Transmission Cable Fix

This seems to be a potential problem on a lot of older vehicles. I just replaced the grommets and fasteners on my 05 SSR and purchased a kit to do my XLR. I went to my Caddy dealer and he replaced my shifter cable last year as I was having real trouble getting it out of park. I think the transmission cable and fasteners need to be checked because of the age of these vehicles.
John F,

I think the transmission cable and fasteners need to be checked because of the age of these vehicles.
John F,

That’s pretty much what the author of the article said - over time the plastic grommets dry out & disintegrate. Might be best to just replace the grommets if anyone has this problem, as you’re more likely to get “fresh made” ones, whereas if you get an entire replacement cable you risk getting one made 10 years ago with grommets that are already on their last legs.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom