Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Trunk lid bushing

jjsea55

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Black Raven XLR-V, Shale interior
Had to park in the sun for a few hours yesterday. Later noticed that the conical rubber bushings that cover a bolt head on each side of the trunk lid that penetrates into a corresponding hole on both sides of the trunk base... had melted beyond use. This doesn't appear to affect the latch as that is primarily accomplished at the center of the lid/base, but certainly would like to replace these items.

Are these still available from a dealer? Any suggestions as to where they would be best sourced? TIA...

Thanks much for the reply! Searched for a previous thread but prolly used the wrong term.

Yes, they create a heap of nasty! Will try my dealer tomorrow for in-stock availability & get them replaced pronto.

Thanks again for the reply & thread link!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're more than welcome, since I got burned on that it was a little easier for me to find the thread.

Jjsea55
i just replaced my trunk bumpers last week. Part # 10346849 Bumper. I found that it was cheaper just going to my Cadillac parts department and order it to come on with there parts order. (No freight) total cost for two with tax was $ 12.79. Count the number of thread turns on disassembly then on reassembly turn in two extra turns. Then adjust for trunk alignment.
V Happy :)

Jjsea55
i just replaced my trunk bumpers last week. Part # 10346849 Bumper. I found that it was cheaper just going to my Cadillac parts department and order it to come on with there parts order. (No freight) total cost for two with tax was $ 12.79.

I've been building a "stash" of spare parts for my XLR, based on items that I have seen others post about.

I also purchased these items at my local dealer. List price of these is $5.08 each.

I've been building a "stash" of spare parts for my XLR, based on items that I have seen others post about.

I also purchased these items at my local dealer. List price of these is $5.08 each.

Thanks to those who provided the info on this. I ordered a pair and they are now installed. Even the new ones seem a little mushy.
I have access to an Industrial rubber lining shop and may have my old studs redone with higher durometer rubber. Measurements were recorded of the new Bumpers rubber end.
I used a caliper to measure from the underside of the bolt Head to EACH jamb nut for reinstallation depth. There was about 1/8" difference between the two in the projection.
Just ordered another 2 pair from GM Dealer in Burlington. $28.11 Cdn. total for 4 of them. The rubber feels somewhat harder. I was surprized to be able to order them. The last pair went to mush in a few years, inside storage. Gotta get a serious pair made I guess, using the old bolts.

Gord.

Last edited:
Thanks to those who provided the info on this. I ordered a pair and they are now installed. Even the new ones seem a little mushy.
I have access to an Industrial rubber lining shop and may have my old studs redone with higher durometer rubber. Measurements were recorded of the new Bumpers rubber end.
I used a caliper to measure from the underside of the bolt Head to EACH jamb nut for reinstallation depth. There was about 1/8" difference between the two in the projection.

Gord.

Did you ever get anywhere with getting higher durometer rubber?

Trunk Lid Bushing

Did you ever get anywhere with getting higher durometer rubber?

I have not pursued getting harder rubber. I could get 2 made at a local Industrial Rubber Lining shop where they rubber line pressure vessels etc. YOu could improvise with first drilling then carving one out of a Hockey Puck or other hard rubber like motor mounts. Glue stud into rubber piece after it is shaped.

I have not pursued getting harder rubber. I could get 2 made at a local Industrial Rubber Lining shop where they rubber line pressure vessels etc. YOu could improvise with first drilling then carving one out of a Hockey Puck or other hard rubber like motor mounts. Glue stud into rubber piece after it is shaped.

Thanks for responding - I'd really like to drill a hockey puck (with a good slap shot) into the head of whoever developed bumpers with the special turn-to-goo feature.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom