Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Trunk Rubber Cone

05 GRAND DADDY

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Light Platinium Silver XLR
While working on Roxy this weekend I notice the passengers side rubber cone, on the trunk lid, was soft and gooey. I know it was mentioned on here before about this part. Does anyone know the parts name, number or where it can be purchased? Thanks in advance!
b3036399f00589929ae801a432656434.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While working on Roxy this weekend I notice the passengers side rubber cone, on the trunk lid, was soft and gooey. I know it was mentioned on here before about this part. Does anyone know the parts name, number or where it can be purchased? Thanks in advance!

Dan here is what I found on my parts list sheet. Could this be what your looking for It’s under luggage lid on page 232 of the copy xlr/xlr-v 2004-09 parts. I think they list it as striker latch. 15142951 .2. $48.79

1d89ef6ca429254d22238f415a5b2e85.jpg

Dan,

rexster314 is correct on the part. Can get them at any GM parts online store or your dealer. Not expensive at all. If you notice, there is a nut above it that is not part of the part, but is used for adjustment. Make sure you put them back the same, as this is the up and down adjustment for your decklid. The entire bumper is threaded and quite long. If the old one is soft and squishy, wrap a rag or paper towel around it. They are messy and quite a problem to clean up if it drops into the carpet in the trunk!

Dan,

rexster314 is correct on the part. Can get them at any GM parts online store or your dealer. Not expensive at all. If you notice, there is a nut above it that is not part of the part, but is used for adjustment. Make sure you put them back the same, as this is the up and down adjustment for your decklid. The entire bumper is threaded and quite long. If the old one is soft and squishy, wrap a rag or paper towel around it. They are messy and quite a problem to clean up if it drops into the carpet in the trunk!

Great, Thanks Cubby
I found them on GM parts last night and ordered 3 at 3.88 ea. + Shipping around $21
You say they adjust the trunk lid, so if the center of the lid is bottoming out on the bumper I should adjust them out a little and that would stop that from hitting the bumper?

they should adjust the top of the deck lid even with the top of the taillights. Some of the bumpers hit the deck lid In the middle due to failure of the retainer strip they snap into. ++ on the gloves or rag as the rubber is some of the messiest and is almost as hard to clean up as uncured windshield sealer.

I'm gonna jump into this thread with the same issue. I replaced both of these a few years ago, but unfortunately I only ordered two units. Those have now become spongy and I'd like to order four for now and the future. A half dozen attempts have taken my payment only to refund later due to lack of parts to satisfy the order. It's only been 6 months or so since 05 Grand Daddy made his request, but I can't seem to find any now.

There has been a strike recently, but don't think this is affecting the parts supply, only the delivery. Could you provide the specific parts source you had success with, please? There are at least a dozen or so similar sources. Thanks much!

well one more part gone the way of the dodo bird. I called to double check. Number is still in the catalogue but when ordered it was kicked out as discontinued. None at any dealers across the USA. so we will have to find a possible replacement part. Thanks GM for all your non support

My local dealer said last week that 'maybe a few more days now that the strike has ended'.... He did not indicate any out-of-stock or 'discontinued' messages associated with the order. I guess I'll wait a few more days and check again.... I have one very swishy and one that's melted away completely...
Caddy Part.jpg

Last edited:
let us know. My dealer is very good on checking and letting me know. he said they are all gone. maybe you got the last 2. Hope he is wrong as eve n though it s little part , we wont find a replacement that cheep I don't think.

I got the official no-can-get from my local Caddy dealer today. No one in the GM world has these rubber bumbers...
Oh well.....:(

el lI was told by gm they have them in stock. ordered 6 from 3 dealers and 2 have sent my money back saying no longer available so just shows how screwed up thing are there. Waiting on the other dealer who said they will be here next Friday No bigey on this as I found another application that is available and seems to fit and work fine.

Could you share where they showed up, please? I was able to place orders at 4 different “GM Parts...” type places & neither had stock. They’ll grab the $ immediately... a couple emailed me advising they were crediting back to my card. The other two I had to contact to determine actual availability & then receive the credit when they realized they didn’t have any.

I cleaned off what was left of the goo on both of mine. Hoping the center latch will continue to hold tight. Thanks.

Perhaps you could share the work-around that worked for you. Thanks!

I did the same. They had been discontinued for a while and a friend in parts said they showed back i nstock again. SO I called a couple online sites t ocheck and they said they had them. I paid and two days later they returned my money saying they were on back order. I think someone may have bought them all up so I am waiting to see if they list them any where. I also ordered from one dealer that is high but they have not said they are not available yet. I have another part that came off of a BMW that is a little larger that I turned down o nthe lathe. I also have the rubbers in the same size as oem that I bonded to the bolt and they seem to be holding well. I have some 3m product coming to try and get the best bond before I make some. I put that on hold when I thought we could get the oem ones again.

Thanks for the response. I have seen some cone-shaped bushings online and wondered if they could be bonded to the studs. They would need to have an opening very close to the OEM cones, I would think, and that was not defined in the online listing. Let us know how your project turns out and perhaps we can all participate.

the mating surface on the car has a slot in it so as long as they match up I think we will be fine. I will work on them and let you test a couple if the oem ones do not in fact show up. The BMw ones come tapered but not as much . The rubber cones I have are almost the right size but need to be bonded to the bolt. 3M sent me a product to try that they say should work.

I have a small stock built up and ready to sell them. I will continue to make more, so if I run out more will be coming. They fit very nice and should last for a very long time. I have listed them on eBay and the link is below. If you decide to make a purchase, please note that when selecting a quantity of 1 on eBay, I will be sending you 1 pair (2 pieces). I believe it best to replace both at the same time. If you have questions, please let me know.

www.ebay.com

CADILLAC XLR DECK LID BUMPERS GM #10346849 | eBay

These are reproduction cone shaped bumpers (GM# 10346849) for Cadillac XLR trunk lids.

www.ebay.com

Greg, thank you for the prompt shipment. Put them on today and they fit fine. I used Fruits bug and smudge remover for the grease removal. That was all we were missing for the car.
Brent

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back