Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Trunk will not close on folding top retract cycle

Nadoxlrv

My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR/V Black on Black
I have a 2006 XLR-V and live in San Diego area. My folding roof will retract correctly but the cycle will not complete because my trunk lid does not close. When I close the roof, however, the cycle completes to include the trunk closing properly. In short, the trunk will not close on the roof retract cycle. All other times it works fine.

My research suggests perhaps bad sensors or poor alignment of a sensor pair. Any ideas? Also, assuming this will require a mechanic with proper tools/experience - can anyone recommend a service activity in San Diego? Many thanks, Nadoxlrv

Make sure your windows are indexed properly first. If that doesn't help than a relearn would be next. You need a tech2 for this. These procedures are covered here in this site.

Unless the battery was removed, or primary power was disconnected after the folding top stopped, the windows shouldn't need to be indexed. Determining window position is the first step in the folding top cycle. If the windows weren't indexed, the top wouldn't have moved initially.

The folding top position sensor may be faulty or need to be re-learned, since after it stows, the rear deck lid lowers. It could be the folding top control module doesn't know the position of the top.

You didn't mention if the top can be raised after the cycle is halted by the rear deck lid not lowering. That's another clue.

CC :wave:

Last edited:
Thanks. The windows are indexed properly I believe (close and open as appropriate during the cycle). Also, power has never been interrupted. The top does cycle closed when I give up on the trunk lid not closing.

Points to a relearn. I'll engage local San Diego dealers with hopes they have the expertise.
I appreciate the feedback.

Also check the interior switch, this happened to me awhile back and my tech found out after checking the timing on all the top and trunk sensors. I would retract the top and everything would work correctly except the trunk would not close, but it would close after taking my finger off of the button and then pressing it again. This may or may not be your issue, if you haven't already tried this.
:cool:

Also check the interior switch, this happened to me awhile back and my tech found out after checking the timing on all the top and trunk sensors. I would retract the top and everything would work correctly except the trunk would not close, but it would close after taking my finger off of the button and then pressing it again. This may or may not be your issue, if you haven't already tried this.
:cool:

Around the first part of the year, I had the same kind of problem. Raising or lowering resulted in two separate button pushes to complete one cycle. A top relearn fixed my problem. YMMV

This worked for me

Lower the windows hold for 5 seconds, raise windows hold for five seconds this reset my modules and it worked fond afterwards

Nadoxlrv

Thanks for the info...will try the window 5 sec hold....

He's describing the window indexing, which you've already verified as operating correctly (or else the Folding Top sequence wouldn't even start.)

CC :wave:

Do we hold down the window buttons themselves or the top down buttona

The Window buttons, both the driver's and passenger's.

The top won't work if it doesn't know were the windows are (open, closed).

It's a simple thing to try, and seems to fix problems about 1/3rd of the time.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom