Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Upper shift cable connection linkage bushing repair

H2Con

My upper shift cable connection came off. I repaired my lower one last year. What a shame on a cable that doesn’t even have 8k miles on it. The lower bushing was disintegrated. Now my car is stuck in reverse again. Luckily it happened at home this time. Can I get to the upper linkage by removing the console inside the car?

I was able to access the front bushing from the top; what I did not figure is why after installing the bushing it now will not go into park or start.

I have read a lot of posts about those shifter cable bushings, it sure seems to be a common problem. Everything I've read says to access both ends from under the car but if you can install the front bushing from the top and it went in ok, I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with it not going into park, but that does seem to be the smoking gun. What brand bushing did you install, and did it seem to be a good fit? I'm very interested in hearing how it works out because I may need to do the same repair on my 2007 V. I've had it for about a year and the shifter works fine with one exception, when I shift from drive back up to reverse, I have to go a little past reverse for it to lock into gear. This may just be a little out of adjustment, but I won't know that until I inspect it. Either way it sounds like just a matter of time before I'll need new bushings also.
Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress,
Dennis

APDTY 143136 Shift Cable Replacement Bushing Kit With Install Tool I could not get the Trans to go into park by manually shifting the trans by hand. I suspect ether the bcm or the tcm is not working (fuse, relay, or module it's self) strange it was fine when I pulled into the garage. The car will be towed to a well known XLR tech here in Arizona and will post the result of his findings.​

OK , So what is the cable bushing part number for the bushing up at the shifter ?

OK , So what is the cable bushing part number for the bushing up at the shifter ?
I had the same question after doing some checking it appears that it will fit both ends.

There's no GM part number. They expect you to purchase the entire shift cable assembly. O'Reilly and others have an assortment of bushings. You pick out the correct size by eyeballing the old one

So you can replace the front cable bushing from inside the car? Seems easier than crawling under the car. I've been into that area before. Thought about putting zippers on the console cover. lol

The one inside the car is a good bit difficult. Can be done but you need extreme care as you can bend the cable housing. In which case you will need a used cable 3-500 the only thing is if the front is bad you are going to need to pull the heat shield out from under the car. If you actually need a cable I have them much cheaper than eBay xlrparts@yahoo.com

The one inside the car is a good bit difficult. Can be done but you need extreme care as you can bend the cable housing. In which case you will need a used cable 3-500 the only thing is if the front is bad you are going to need to pull the heat shield out from under the car. If you actually need a cable I have them much cheaper than eBay xlrparts@yahoo.com
I tried it and had to get a new one from this guy, trust me on this he has the best price.

Appreciate advice from both of you. As soon as the humidity goes below 95%, I'll look at the rear one first, (fingers crossed), and take it from there.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom