Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Variable Effort Steering rack

Latest: got a call from the service manage Monday morning. Seems they were putting everything back together Saturday, and somehow, inadvertently, a bolt fell down between the fender and fenderwell. Not a real big deal? Right? Well no, because they have to pull the fender to get the bolt out. In one way, I'm ****ed, but on the other hand they were upfront with me and wanting to do the right thing. Nothing like a rattle you hear but can't track down.

Thanks for the write-up rex, feel for you going through this - it's been 3 years since so I hope you got it sorted!

This morning while going out for a drive, I immediately noticed how heavy the steering wheel was to get out of parking. It got better on faster speeds, but seems like "VES" is not kicking in at low speeds.

I've had the whole rack and pinion replaced three years back. Currently no leakage showing at all. Computer diagnostics do not show any code. EBCM is also fault free, and I'm stuck thinking what could possibly be the issue here. My OBD tool showed within range parameters, except for "VES" which I couldn't find under EBCM. Other readings show ok as well. The computer thinks there's no issue. However, the steering wheel is very hard to turn mechanically while the car is stationary or moving out of parking spots.

Got the Variable Effort Steering diagnostic page on the factory service manual. Will have to run the procedure sometime today and see if anything is faulty. But basically all it asks for is to check connections for any ground, replace EBCM, or replace VES actuator as last step. - could only be me, but why do so many of the procedures just call for EBCM replacement, I feel like this car should've come with 5 EBCM computers as replacements.

Would appreciate any feedback kindly.

Cheers.

Thanks for the write-up rex, feel for you going through this - it's been 3 years since so I hope you got it sorted!

This morning while going out for a drive, I immediately noticed how heavy the steering wheel was to get out of parking. It got better on faster speeds, but seems like "VES" is not kicking in at low speeds.

I've had the whole rack and pinion replaced three years back. Currently no leakage showing at all. Computer diagnostics do not show any code. EBCM is also fault free, and I'm stuck thinking what could possibly be the issue here. My OBD tool showed within range parameters, except for "VES" which I couldn't find under EBCM. Other readings show ok as well. The computer thinks there's no issue. However, the steering wheel is very hard to turn mechanically while the car is stationary or moving out of parking spots.

Got the Variable Effort Steering diagnostic page on the factory service manual. Will have to run the procedure sometime today and see if anything is faulty. But basically all it asks for is to check connections for any ground, replace EBCM, or replace VES actuator as last step. - could only be me, but why do so many of the procedures just call for EBCM replacement, I feel like this car should've come with 5 EBCM computers as replacements.

Would appreciate any feedback kindly.

Cheers.
The car spent a year, yes a year, at David Taylor/Sterling McCall Cadillac in Houston. During that time I went through 3 different service managers, none of whom knew right from left, and a couple just plain liars. It took an email to the head dick to get any responses, and a couple of days later, got a call from the 3rd service "tool" saying come get the car, bring your rental back, and OBTW, we can't fix your car, and don't know what's wrong with it.
It's driveable, and if I don't go over 40 mph, I don't get any CEL going off.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom