Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Vetronix Tech 2

rexster314

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Base Infrared
Ok, I've read some of the postings about the Chinese Tech 2. Some good some bad. I had some tax refund money left and ordered one of them the first of the month. I wasn't in a hurry so didn't mind the 3 week shipping time. I popped for the one with the case instead of a cardboard box. It came in last week and it was like Christmas day in the McCall household.
It appears all the accessories came included; a/c charger/adapter, 12v adapter with battery clamps, different obd adapters, self test loopback cables, Candi module and the pcmcia data card that supports up to 2013 GM vehicles. The initial setup went through without a hitch. Since it was dark by that time I had to wait till the next day.
Hooked it up to the XLR the next day, Candi was blinking, and after selecting Cadillac/Y/XLR it found the car immediately. No problems.
Since then I have played with it off and on, getting to know it. Haven't killed the car and getting comfortable with using it. Powerful tool, no doubt about it.
It appears that I got a good one right off....
I got the entire kit for less than 400$ including shipping. I figure I can at least get my money back on it if I decide to sell later for some reason.

Last edited:
Perhaps you would be willing to let us know where you ordered this unit from, item # and so forth?

It wasn't 2 months after buying my Chinese Tech II that I had to do a top re-learn. So mine is mostly paid for. Anything happen from here on out, I'm really not out much anymore. lol

Perhaps you would be willing to let us know where you ordered this unit from, item # and so forth?

Sure can. It's gone down in price about 30$ since my purchase. Be aware there is a huge language problem, but Melody (?) helped me out a lot using What'sApp messaging. Before you purchase make sure you are getting the pcmcia data card with the tool. There was a slight kerfuffle over that, but I got it, that's the main thing. All in all, I'm happy with the purchase. And make sure you are getting the English version. It's advertised as a CarJoy, but everything on it including the plastic case is Vetronix

CarJoy Tech2 Scan tool for Op SAAB Holden Isuzu Suzuki vetronix GM TECH 2 - DinoDirect.com

Last edited:
Tech 2

I bought one last year and paid $700.00. It came with everything the original Poster posted including the plastic molded carrying case. I have used it to diagnose heater valve problem, Auto-bleed the brakes, re-flash modules and the ECM. This tool is a must have for any and all XLR owners that have any mechanical ability. Stop paying the dealership and spend more time at the beach with the top down!

I bought one last year and paid $700.00. It came with everything the original Poster posted including the plastic molded carrying case. I have used it to diagnose heater valve problem, Auto-bleed the brakes, re-flash modules and the ECM. This tool is a must have for any and all XLR owners that have any mechanical ability. Stop paying the dealership and spend more time at the beach with the top down!

I got the molded case as well for less than $400 US

No Joy from Car Joy at DinoDirect

The order was placed on April 10th with Dino Direct. The price was $277 plus $85 DHL express shipping, or $237 with $125 DHL Shipping (no other shipping options were allowed). PayPal was used to secure the order just in case something went wrong.Three days later the order was still in the "Order Approved" Stage. Emailing as to why no progress had been made since DHL shipping had been demand (3-7 Business day shipping) the order status was moved to "Processing". After reading the many horror stories associated with DinoDirect a PayPal dispute was filed.

On April 15th the order was still "Processing". An offer to "chat" with their representative resulted in a promise to ship the unit out the same day, along with a request to close the PayPal dispute. It was made clear that the PayPal dispute would remain open until the Tech 2 arrived and it's operational status was verified. DinoDirect's computers couldn't provide a tracking number for 24-48 hours after shipping. The tracking number was provided on Monday, April 18th, which just happened to be the same day DHL picked up the shipment. The scheduled delivery was for Thursday, April 21st. The unit arrived, however it wasn't new. It was a repackaged item. The Software (Instruction Manual) was supplied on a CD which was date coded March 28, 2003. This software doesn't install on Current Windows Versions, not even when using Windows NT4 (Service Pack 3) compatibility. To top it all off the PCMCIA GM Personality card had been removed from the TECH 2 Scanner during repackaging.

Just went to DinoDirect today. The Website has been updated. Now the PCMCIA card, and the VCI module are listed separately and the Tech 2 is listed for $277 without the demanded DHL shipping. On the Tech 2 webpage it has a "Frequently Bought Together " section showing the PCMCIA Card. Perhaps getting the card separately will get the Tech 2 operational, yet it appears that retrieving the databases (from the included CDs) is still a problem. Any information on how the Tech 2 works would be appreciated as everything found so far indicates it needs to be plugged into a computer (connected to the internet, and acting as a server) to properly operate.

The included CD only contains the manual in a pdf form, there are no installation or software files. You MUST have the PCMCIA card for the TechII to work. Otherwise you just have a cool looking paperweight. I downloaded the original operator's manual while I was waiting on the TechII. When I ordered mine, the card didn't come with the kit. After hem-hawing around with Melody through the chat window and through Whatsapp, I finally was able to convince them since I specified what software I wanted (GM-English, Volvo, Holden, SAAB) that it was implied that I should receive the GM NAO card. At first they wanted to me to pay extra for the card, which I told them there was no way I was paying for something that I should have received in the first place. After 2 weeks of going back and forth, including a paypal dispute, (which they offered a one cent refund) and with a lot of help through Melody (I'm sure that's not her real name) I received my card free of charge. I believe my total charge was 383$ which included the case and DHL shipping. In the meantime, while waiting for this to be resolved, I purchased another GM-NAO card from another chinese vendor that I received in a week and a half which got me up and running. So I now have an extra card that I intend to put on eBay. I believe I paid 25$ for it. I'm sure I'll get my money back on eBay.
I did buy the TIS2000 discs from the same vendor, but haven't installed them yet as I haven't needed them.
I got back part of the cost of the TechII yesterday when my wife got the trunk "confused" and it wouldn't lower by pushing the trunk button on the trunk lid. It would raise just fine, but not lower, only if you pulled it down manually. After hooking up the TechII, scanning though the options, putting the pump and cylinders through their paces, clearing a couple of codes, the trunk is back to itself. A diagnostic fee is $150 at the Caddy dealership, so my TechII is 1/3 of the way paid for. :wave:

Update

I just surrendered and ordered the Card separately for $24. instead of the Free shipping UPS shipping was requested for an extra $24 (since there are multiple issues with my XLR the need is urgent.

If one were to order the Tech 2 and the card now it would be less than $300 with the free 15-30 day shipping.

I just surrendered and ordered the Card separately for $24. instead of the Free shipping UPS shipping was requested for an extra $24 (since there are multiple issues with my XLR the need is urgent.

If one were to order the Tech 2 and the card now it would be less than $300 with the free 15-30 day shipping.

Is that with the carrying case?
I think these things actually are dropped shipped from another Chinese location. That would explain the longer processing times we experienced. And the longer time between saying shipped and the tracking number issuance.

And once you get the PCMCIA card, the Tech2 is a standalone tool, no computer hookup, no internet needed. If you would like, I can put the pdf file for the operating manual on dropbox so you can download it. Very beneficial.
You got the VCIM for the tool as well?

No Picture Verification

But without it one would just be purchasing an empty shell. Listing all the other items that plug into the TECH 2 infers the VCIM should be there too. It would be best to verify this prior to purchasing

Since the VCIM module is now being sold separately for $146 it means even if your Tech 2 dies it can be brought back to life by replacing this module unless the keypad or screen are broken.

How does the drop box work? may we communicate directly without posting threads?

But without it one would just be purchasing an empty shell. Listing all the other items that plug into the TECH 2 infers the VCIM should be there too. It would be best to verify this prior to purchasing

Since the VCIM module is now being sold separately for $146 it means even if your Tech 2 dies it can be brought back to life by replacing this module unless the keypad or screen are broken.

How does the drop box work? may we communicate directly without posting threads?

Personally, I'm not too concerned about it. I got mine, and got the card included in the original price. Them selling the VCIM and PCMCIA card separately means the price of the TECH2 kit just went up more.

Too bad, I could have sold you my extra card

Tech 2

I had not heard of this piece of equipment until I joined this group a couple of weeks ago. I own an 06 XLR and have had it for four years and it has been an excellent trouble free car with high millage. I drive roughly 4-5 months of the year. When not in use it sits in storage in Southern CA. I am now looking at buying a low millage 2005 but I am beginning to think this car is very problematic. I want some feedback on whether you folks think these cars are a mechanical problem. One 05 I have looked at has 18,000 miles on it and has had the radiator replaced and leaky head gaskets fixed. I know the 05's had a rad problem so it's good this has been replaced. I am also looking at an 05 with about 7000 miles on it. It hasn't got enough miles to bring to light any potential problems. Sorry for rambling but I just want to get some advise as I can't believe owners are buying diagnostic equipment to help them solve issues with this car.
John F..

Many owners who plan to keep their cars indefinitely are using the collective knowledge archived online along with Tech 2's to work on or diagnose their vehicles. Without a Tech 2, XLR owners are completely dependent on dealerships for even simple repairs.

Since you've had a trouble-free car, this may not make a whole lot of sense. --It will if you start having problems though. The XLR isn't getting any younger, and some models are more prone to problems than others. The 04-05 years exhibit the most issues, but they also comprise 2/3 of the XLR's produced. Their folding tops seem to get the most attention, issue-wise.

If you're inclined to buy one of the earlier models, a Service History from a GM dealership is a must.

CC :wave:

In my case, the folding top got "confused" back in January. The nearest Caddy dealer is 50 miles or so from me. So driving 50 miles, waiting at the dealer for several hours, to pay a $150 service charge for a simple re-learning of the top, and drive back 50 miles was not something I wanted to do again.
Several weeks later my wife got the trunk "confused" where it wouldn't raise or lower by powering on the switch. Plugged in the Tech II, and after testing the settings, I got it back online. So that saved me at least $150.
If I have to use it again, and solve the problem with my TechII, it will have paid for itself.

Back to the topic. Can this Vetronix Tech 2 do a VIN relearn for replacing the navigation/radio/cd player? Is this Tech 2 knockoff any good without the $365 shop manual? Or do I need to drop nearly a Grand getting both?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom