Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Vette Z06 Brakes Installed - PHOTOS

richardyoo

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Silver XLR-V
So the past month or so, I've been collecting parts to do a Z06 brake upgrade... my hunch was that it would be a direct bolt-on upgrade and it was...

I purchased the following:

Before the upgrade:

Front with wheel:
frontbeforewheel.jpg

Front:
frontbefore.jpg

Rear:
rearbefore.jpg

Parts comparisons -

Front calipers:
frontcalipers2.jpg

Front calipers:
frontcalipers.jpg

Front calipers:
caliperandpads.jpg

Front rotors:
frontrotors.jpg

Rear rotors:
rearrotors.jpg

Stainless braided lines:
sslines.jpg

Stainless braided lines installed:
sslinesinstalled.jpg

Power bleeder:
speedbleeder.jpg

AFTER -

Front with wheel:
frontafterwheel.jpg

Front:
frontafter.jpg

Front:
frontafterclearance.jpg

Rear:
rearafter.jpg

Sure - doesn't bother me. If not Corvette, they'll just say say some other brand... :blinzel:

Great job! Thanks for the pictures and information. I really like the brake lines. How does she stop now?

Nice job...Looks great!!!!!!:cool:

Great job! Thanks for the pictures and information. I really like the brake lines. How does she stop now?

Its hard to tell...

1. I have only driven on them for about 40 miles
  2. I haven't bedded them in yet, so they don't bite yet
  3. I think I may still have a little bit of air in the system - the pedal is a just a shy too soft initially (I have a tech2 and did the ABS bleed, but it looks like I need to do it again)
  4. I haven't done too many aggressive stops yet due to the above points

Once I get them broken in I'll report back :D

Those calipers look great. I saw them being installed next to the stock C6 vettes in Bowling Green last month and they are huge. The ZR-1 calipers may even be a bit larger, they are painted blue. Makes the XLR ones look tiny. Several questions.

Will the stock wheels work with those calipers? I thought I read somewhere that they wouldn't.

Wouldn't the master cylinder be different? You now have to move a much larger volume of fluid required to move the pistons in those calipers. Seems like the master cylinder would have to be much larger as well.

Those calipers look great. I saw them being installed next to the stock C6 vettes in Bowling Green last month and they are huge. The ZR-1 calipers may even be a bit larger, they are painted blue. Makes the XLR ones look tiny. Several questions.

The ZR1 brakes are a completely different set up... they are ceramic discs and my understanding is that they require a different brake/ABS controller and programming. There are lots of people on the vette forms trying to figure out if they can be retrofitted, but it doesn't look likely.

Will the stock wheels work with those calipers? I thought I read somewhere that they wouldn't.

I don't believe that the stock wheels will work. I still have the stock wheels and clearly, the extra offset in my forgeline wheels allowed the Z06 brakes to fit. On the vette, you'd have to get a set of the Z06 wheels to make this brake swap work (or custom wheels). Some spacers may work, but I don't know if the tires will fit in the wheel well after that - it may, I just haven't tried.

Wouldn't the master cylinder be different? You now have to move a much larger volume of fluid required to move the pistons in those calipers. Seems like the master cylinder would have to be much larger as well.

From my reserach the master cylinder on the base vette, z51 vette, and z06 are all the same. And its also the same on the base XLR and XLR-V.

From what I can tell, the XLR-V brakes are basically the same set up as the Z51 vette - and many people are upgrading the base and z51 vette brakes to the z06 set up.

I do know that some people have upgraded their master cylinders - but its no how GM rolled out the Z06... so just the caliper swap should be fine.

Its hard to tell...

1. I have only driven on them for about 40 miles
  2. I haven't bedded them in yet, so they don't bite yet
  3. I think I may still have a little bit of air in the system - the pedal is a just a shy too soft initially (I have a tech2 and did the ABS bleed, but it looks like I need to do it again)
  4. I haven't done too many aggressive stops yet due to the above points

Once I get them broken in I'll report back :D

I drove them another 40miles today and they just keep feeling better and better... I'm convinced that once I bleed it again to get rid of the last of the air and do a solid bedding-in that they will grip like monsters. woohoo! :cool:

Hi. I went to gmpartsdirect.com to check out the prices of the new calipers. The front left and front right were two different prices! One was $308.18 and the other was $278.77. Any reason for the difference in price? The rears were the same price. Has anyone been able to find a cheaper price?

The updated part numbers are:

Thanks in advance.

I just ordered mine off of ebay... a complete for about $950 shipped...

Can you give me the sellers name from eBay? Reply or pm. I can't find anything under $1100.

http://myworld.ebay.com/thepartsladi/

looks like I paid $975

She has a few sets for sale, looks like the prices have gone up... I know that the Z06 caliper swap has been popular for many cars including F-bodies (firebird, camaro) and even GMT-800 trucks.... so that could be driving prices up... but even at $1200 they're cheaper than any other of the aftermarket set ups... although the aftermarket set ups would probably be worth the price difference.

Finally, I found the thread I wasn't initially looking for.:blinzel:

Please update your build. I look forward in seeing the newer calipers and rotors.:rocker: Oh yeah, what did you do with the old Vette rotors and calipers? I'd like to buy from you if you still have them.

Yellow Calipers

Please update your build. I look forward in seeing the newer calipers and rotors.:rocker: Oh yeah, what did you do with the old Vette rotors and calipers? I'd like to buy from you if you still have them.

I would be interested in selling my previous z06 brake set up - I have everything including a spare set of pads I think... I'll have to go dig them up.

I really need to update this thread... I had the new calipers re-powder coated

IMG_20121121_205823_zpsbf1347a8.jpg

IMG_20121121_205831_zps37054837.jpg

Ah man, this is sweet!:rocker: I own a XLR so I don't need to extra stopping power of the Rotora or Brembo brakes. Shot me a email or PM! Are you selling the rotors too?If purchase I'll have to re-powder the calipers to black.

I dug up a shot of what the brakes look like from the side... and one close up of one of the fronts... not the best shots, but here they are...

20130410-121603IMG_20130410_121603_zpsf5972fdf.jpg

20130423-235123IMG_20130423_235123_zps1b99a321.jpg

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry