Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Wanted: High Mount Rear XLR Brake Light Lens

CNC

Supporting Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Gold Mist XLR & 79' Eldorado Convert
Looking for a high mount 04-09 XLR rear brake light lens assembly. Prior ding ding who owned the car
(I'm the new ding ding :)) somehow opened the trunk into something and gouged and cracked the lens. Looking for one in pristine condition. - Anyone?

Looking for a high mount 04-09 XLR rear brake light lens assembly. Prior ding ding who owned the car
(I'm the new ding ding :)) somehow opened the trunk into something and gouged and cracked the lens. Looking for one in pristine condition. - Anyone?

I did the same thing, Spent almost 6 months trying to find one cheaper than the dealer's $525+sales tax pricing.

I finally got a brand new one from www.autoplicity.com for $336.63, total price to my door.

Parts number is the same for model years 2004-2009, get the actual GM part number from the dealer, it'll make search much easier

REPLY: )

I did the same thing, Spent almost 6 months trying to find one cheaper than the dealer's $525+sales tax pricing.

I finally got a brand new one from www.autoplicity.com for $336.63, total price to my door.

Parts number is the same for model years 2004-2009, get the actual GM part number from the dealer, it'll make search much easier

Thanks. :) I did find one. It shipped yesterday. My local Cadillac Dealer told me that they are now "out of production new OEM". And you are correct. Were right at $525.00 list price. Some on line XLR Caddy Dealers do show them for $336.63.

brake light

Thanks. :) I did find one. It shipped yesterday. My local Cadillac Dealer told me that they are now "out of production new OEM". And you are correct. Were right at $525.00 list price. Some on line XLR Caddy Dealers do show them for $336.63.

Do want to sell the bad one if so I want it .

Thanks John call me 916-812-8530

I'm sorry, Danny in Chicago (Great Guy) bought my old one at that time shortly after this thread was posted. At that time someone had rear ended his XLR in Chicago. Crazy with these cars as the insurance company could not find parts even though normally the damage on any other vehicle would have been considered minor by comparison, so they totaled his car. He rebuilt the back end with salvage parts including my old High Mount Tail Lamp. It only had some small cracks near the Cadillac Crest peak center. --- So sorry, it is long gone.

I found my replacement by posting a salvage search on line and got it out of a scrap yard in Green Bay Wisconsin. I insisted it had to be in 'Pristine Condition'. It was, appearance wise, but that was all. It didn't work. I ended up sending it to Logan Diagnostics in Tennessee to have them rebuild this 2nd one. Ugh. Also bought Danny's totaled one for parts so they could make this salvage yard one good.

Word to the wise. If you find a salvage yard one make sure they test it to make absolutely sure it works! I ended up paying $150 for the salvage light and then $300 to Logan to rebuild it. Body parts for these cars can be 'hard to find' in pristine condition. :rolleyes:

Good luck with your search.

Charles

Postscript on The High Mount Break Light

When you find a good one, when installing it, be darn careful not to over tighten the nuts on the plastic threaded studs that go through the body mount holes as they crack easily at the base and then allow water leakage inside the high mount and will ruin it with corrosion and rust inside. I used the original flat paper seals and surrounded them with black RTV Sealer as well and just gently snugged them down. They are factory sealed units and cannot be disassembled except by Logan Diagnostics in Tennessee (Really nice guy by the way).

Good luck.

Charles

You can get brand new ones now for about 120 at any of the GM online parts sellers.

Great. When I wanted one NEW no one had them. : (

You can get brand new ones now for about 120 at any of the GM online parts sellers.

Two years + ago when I needed to replace mine I contacted every on-line G.M. Cadillac Parts Dealership I could find trying to buy a new one, including my local dealership. The local dealership put out a 'search' for me across the country with all the other Cadillac Dealers. None, not one at that time had one available. Everyone of them that I contacted on my own (and it was many, as in lots) said "out of stock, no longer in production". --- Maybe things have changed. --- They all listed them in their on line catalogs by make and model, but none (0) had one, nor could they get it.

They are available again. I believe they are being made in China. I bought one a few months ago to keep on hand with other hard to find parts I've been accumulating. Part # 25905631, $125.03, four months ago.

Two years + ago when I needed to replace mine I contacted every on-line G.M. Cadillac Parts Dealership I could find trying to buy a new one, including my local dealership. The local dealership put out a 'search' for me across the country with all the other Cadillac Dealers. None, not one at that time had one available. Everyone of them that I contacted on my own (and it was many, as in lots) said "out of stock, no longer in production". --- Maybe things have changed. --- They all listed them in their on line catalogs by make and model, but none (0) had one, nor could they get it.

Wow. Cool. Can You Name The Source For Me?

They are available again. I believe they are being made in China. I bought one a few months ago to keep on hand with other hard to find parts I've been accumulating. Part # 25905631, $125.03, four months ago.

Hi Cubby,

Thanks for the input. Do you have, or maybe can name the source for me. Based on the frustration and expense I went through on getting mine perfect and restored. I'd maybe like to buy a backup just to have on hand. :)

Went on their web site, and '0', Nada ?

GMparts direct $117.80 ?? Looks like they have them in stock ?? Too good to be true or what ??

FYI, I searched their web site at the time of these earlier posts and could not find The High Mount listed anywhere?

Guys
GM started to have replacements made well over a year ago. If you look back through the threads there has been complaints on them breaking when over tightening. That was nice of G M to at least have them made. Then to have a price reduction unheard of ! I guess a substandard part is much better than no part.
Bob

Yup, that's it! I now know what I did wrong. I typed in 2006 XLR. This is listed as 2008 or 2009. I do not believe there is any difference? If there is (?) someone weigh in please.

Thanks.
Scroll down the page , it fits all the years . They look to be all the same part #.

I think if I ever needed to replace one of these I'd have a Chevy dealership do it.

If the new Chinese part is as breakable as they say, let the dealership eat the cost of breaking a few, and if it breaks soon after installed they will cover it.

If they ALL break easily, then we will have to come up with a way to make them stronger and not break.

$ Ouch !

I think if I ever needed to replace one of these I'd have a Chevy dealership do it.

If the new Chinese part is as breakable as they say, let the dealership eat the cost of breaking a few, and if it breaks soon after installed they will cover it.

If they ALL break easily, then we will have to come up with a way to make them stronger and not break.

True. Just looked at my receipts in comparison. Was almost 3 years ago when not available at the time. $150.00 for salvage yard one that was bad inside (interior electrical all corroded and rusted out), $300 to Logan Diagnostics in Tennessee to rebuild it, (did a beautiful job), and $45.00 to Danny in Chicago for his old smashed up one for parts (he shipped it to Logan for me - Thanks Danny!). Total? $495.00. Now you can buy one for around $123.00 :squint:. Who knew?

The salvage yard had the XLR they removed it from, (which I didn't think was all that bad from the pictures) crushed. :mad: I said on the phone to the yard guy, "Do you know how rare these cars are?" And, "that it probably didn't crush too well as it was fiberglass." He said "we didn't realize it until it started snapping."

discontinued again

if anyone reads this .As of today , they are still discontinued fro mGM and ebay has the mfor a round 200 new. MAy want to get one before they are all gone

update new number 19330404 and new discount price seems to be around 120$

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry