Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Warning CarMax 30 Day Warranty

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Satin Nickel
I didnt read the fine print on posting so maybe I'm not supposed to post about a dealer but I figure the truth is the truth. If I had read a post like this at least I wouldn't be surprised when things turn south.
I can post all the reports if anyone questions this.

> Bought car on 01/22/11 from CarMax Roseville, I live in Nevada
> Took car to Cadillac dealer over Service Stabilitrac on DIC and drops of oil on garage floor. Took car in on 02/11/11
>Figured I would get any issues resolved before 30 day warranty expires.
>Dealer calls CarMax specifically Jack Edwards for authorization.
cant get a hold of him, in CarMax defense he did try and was on hold from dealer for 1/2 hour and gave up.
>I got a hold of dealer and also Jack of CarMax who seemed pretty nice and things would be easy, so I figured was dealer who was the problem.
>After couple of weeks with no resolution, neither seemed motivated enough to solve the communication problem.
>Dealer happened to have layed off service person I was dealing with and the new guy gave me a quote and was on top of his game.
>Figured things are going bad to worse and faxed all information to CarMax on 02/25/11 which now the warranty has expired, although we had communicated to Jack of CarMax by phone and left messages long before the expiration of the warranty.
>I have since left a couple of messages along with the fax with no response back. I have tried getting a hold of Jack 10 times each day for last couple of days, lets put it this way...good luck on that one, the dealers issues with communication which he complained about were totally true.
>I have dealt with enough people and business's that usually when people dont return calls, its pretty much hopeless from there.
>I usually get in lawyer mode and start contemplating sueing but as everyone knows, that isnt that much fun and after reading CarMax's warranty it is worded to be a pretty slippery slope, even though it seems pretty obvious to me they should warrant the issues, especially the DIC warning of Service Stabilitrac. I figure that is a no brainer.
Deal with lawyers enough though and no brainers arent always a no brainer.
>Bill is currently at $2415.00 I have not had the work done yet.
It is a ABS module, retainer clip, Steering sensor, rework grounds,
and for oil leak; timing cover and gasket.
>I'm convinced I would be better off to picket them on the weekend and have a sign stating thier 30 day warranty is worthless, and as long as you know that then have at it. Maybe that could cost them 50.000 a day if I can turn a couple of customers, and if I want to waste the crap out my time, along with the gas money to drive to Roseville from Reno every weekend. I figure that would be way more effective than fighting in court as you usually lose even when you win.
>I have'nt tried the MaxCare part of the warranty yet because one I haven't pursued that yet because it is a 300.00 deductible assuming the fine print will actually cover it which I havent read yet and after this ordeal, nothing would surprise me. I think I read they will refund the money, which if they dont cover it I will gladly ask for that back, which isnt enough to cover the issues.
So in my view, the moral of the story is CarMax Buyer 30 day warranty.....
Dont depend on it, or should I say good luck
CarMax has usually 2 to 6 XLR's listed all the time across the country.

Other than the issues above I still love the car.

Jeff

Had the same message on my 1999 Seville STS
Took it to local Cadillac dealer for diagnostics. They said it could be one or all of the things you listed..but

As I normally do ,I proceeded with the cheapest recommended repair.

Dealer installed computer updates for $45.00,(didn,t resolve message)

I then purchased the steering wheel sensor for $210.00 from dealer parts dept.

Then had dealer service dept replace the part for a cost of $79.00 (they estimated one hour to do the job) All they do is pull the steering wheel and replace the round sensor disc.(approx 2" in diameter)

Haven't had the message since or the problem.

Don't know if this would work on the later model XLR , but a steering sensor is probably pretty much the same.

Maybe Bruce could shed some light on this.

Following up on this thread.
Calling CarMax total waste of time.
Called thier Corporate talked to same person couple of times, they said the Roseville manager would call; no call, total waste of time.
Called and faxed to Extended warranty they said they would help with any claims. After all the messing around with CarMax I got tired of dealing with them all. I decided to cancel extended warranty and use the money to offset the cost of any repairs (I just sent in the request). I didnt pursue this issue with them I basically didnt like thier policy of directing me to who they approve not the dealer who I want. I basically wanted to cut all ties with anything associated with CarMax, so I didnt really give the extended warranty people a chance (MaxCare).
So in the end my opinion is if at all possible buy from a normal dealer, and save yourself the trouble.

The car hasnt thrown any stabilitrac errors at all lately. I think driving it more getting a trickle charger when it sits and the warmer temperatures have helped. I just had the clip installed and the grounds reworked and bought the timing cover parts for the small oil leak to do later.
Time will tell if I get any more Stabilitrac Errors.

I also bought a FOB and the dealer had trouble and said they had to reorder the FOB #2 because you cant have 2 #1's I thought its the programming and not the number on the FOB. Is the dealer right?

Thanks
Jeff

Jeff,

The dealer is wrong; is does not matter what number is on the FOB. Without knowing what they tried, it is hard to say what kind of problem they had. You can program up to 4 FOB's with your car; only 2 will set your memory options (#1 & #2) It's possible your car had the max. number of FOB's programmed. If that's the case, they will have to cancel all the FOB's programmed and redo them all.

I also bought a FOB and the dealer had trouble and said they had to reorder the FOB #2 because you cant have 2 #1's I thought its the programming and not the number on the FOB. Is the dealer right?

Thanks
Jeff

Jeff,

The dealer is wrong; is does not matter what number is on the FOB. Without knowing what they tried, it is hard to say what kind of problem they had. You can program up to 4 FOB's with your car; only 2 will set your memory options (#1 & #2) It's possible your car had the max. number of FOB's programmed. If that's the case, they will have to cancel all the FOB's programmed and redo them all.

I figured they were wrong, but they spent a bunch of time messing with it. I didnt want to tell them they were wrong. I will give them a heads up on this when they get the FOB#2 in. Sounds like they will have the same problem, unless they do something different. They had a 3 page sheet about how to do it. Haveing experience with related stuff I have found processes and steps they might not think matter do. When they are done I guess I will have the new FOB being #2 which is fine...I guess.

Jeff

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back