Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Water soaking carpet on driver's side

MarkSki

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Thunder Grey XLR
Had to take a long drive in the rain. Water entered the car from in back of the driver's seat on the floor. When I got home the carpet was soaked and also the floor mat up to the gas peddle.

Wet/dry vaced a LOT of water then placed a box fan on the driver's seat blowing down to the floor and dried everything. I do not have a clue where the water is entering. Will have to put car on ramps and start my search.

This is the first car I've ever had that had a leak. This is like someone put a hose into the car and flooded the driver's side. The passenger's side is bone dry.

The one place that I experienced water coming in was he rear quarter window. Mine wasn't pressing on the bottom gasket correctly. Sometimes when raising the top the rear window would press on top of the gasket not go behind it. It's a tricky fit. The small window has to be at the correct angles so that it seals along the top,bottom,and to the door window. There's a cover made out of material that clips over the window mounts. The mounts are easy to adjust and I cycled the top acouple times to make sure I was getting good pressure on all three sides. Good luck

There are also a variety of channels and drains to take water away from that area (as well as a bunch of other areas). Be sure everything is clean and unclogged. Cycle the top until it's 1/2 way up (or down) and be sure everything is clean around the rear 1/4 window seal; follow the channels and be sure they are free of gunk.

I always clean and check the drains and seals every spring and fall. Bugs, dirt, leaf pieces and lots of other things can hide in the drain tubes and channels.

Yes I too go around the car when I have the top down to make sure the rubber seals are in place. Then I do the same when it is up. But it's easier to do this when the top is down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestions of the 1/4 side window but I'm not so lucky that it's that easy. I checked that area while on our trip and that isn't where the water is coming from. The inside of the car under and around that window and also the panel behind the seat were all dry.

If I can't find it the dealer will have to. Sure glad it's still under an aftermarket warrentee! :blinzel:

As for the drains I'll hunt for them. I've looked around the trunk area where it closes above or along side of that window
and the gasket is ok. I'll pull it back a little and see if there is a drain there. That's a flat area and water sits there after it's washed. Also I have been gtreating ALL of the rubber gaskets/seals with a food grade spray silicon and the rubber is good.

I think the water is coming from underneath the floor. I found it wet behind the seat once before but only a small area and thought a 8 oz. bottle of water that we carry for our dog had leaked. No such luck. This is a northwest car so this problem is new or the previous owner would have found this.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom