Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Weather strip...again

Joeinbcs

My XLR/V(s)
2008 XLRV Black Raven/Ebony
Howdy all,
I did a search on weatherstrip issues and found some interesting ideas on products to improve the appearance of this problem area on our cars.
Mine looks to have been coated with something that has failed in many places.
I've tried Back to Black, Krytox and other products, but none really solves the problem.
It seems that whatever coating remains needs to be removed to really make the trim look good again.
Just wondering if everybody has this same problem, and if anyone has come up with a good solution.
Thanks, Joe

Howdy all,
I did a search on weatherstrip issues and found some interesting ideas on products to improve the appearance of this problem area on our cars.
Mine looks to have been coated with something that has failed in many places.
I've tried Back to Black, Krytox and other products, but none really solves the problem.
It seems that whatever coating remains needs to be removed to really make the trim look good again.
Just wondering if everybody has this same problem, and if anyone has come up with a good solution.
Thanks, Joe
Perhaps you could attach a few close up pictures, and tell us which section is developing problems-- as a NON expert, it's obvious that there are several kinds of weatherstripping...it's very concerning that you're experiencing this problem...so a bit more background would be helpful as well. Is your car outside most of the time? Do you believe the deterioration is related to direct sun or some other chemical reaction? thanks, and Happy day, James

My car has 23K miles, garage kept. No other signs of deterioration anywhere, but most of the weatherstripping looks like it was coated with some glossy substance that has partly worn off.
The paint is immaculate, like new, as is every other aspect of the car.

Attachments

• IMG_1939.jpg
    IMG_1939.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 282
Best stuff I've found that works for a pretty good while is Zaino's tire dressing. I'll rub down all surfaces about every 4-5 months.

I had areas like that on some of the exposed weatherstriping. I took a scotch-brite pad and eliminated the shiny substance from the weatherstriping and then applied a product; Gummi Pflege; that BMW uses for their weatherstriping. Here is a link of where to buy: Nextzett Rubber Care Stick Gummi Pflege, gummi pflege

Hope this helps.

+1 for what Cubby said. Like you, I tried every solution possible without success, found out total trim replacement was $2000 :eek: AND would likely mess up roof function, so went with the suggestion of a Cadillac dealer who is a friend of mine to just Scotch Brite it so it was all even.

I did not have such good luck with Gummi Pflege as I found it ran down on the paint & was a be-atch to get off. I use what Rexster does, the Zaino tire dressing, which doesn’t run as much, comes off easier, and definitely won’t damage the paint.

I prefer the original shiny look, but not if it’s going to be messed up.

bad gasket

that is the mold release protection coming off. I have had it happen on many cars but just a nice application of
Gummi-Pflege
and its fixed. I have never had it run onto the paint. You are applying too much. It just takes a little and several times with a little is better than one time with a whole lot. I have softened up 25 year old Gm trans am tee top gaskets and BMW gaskets that where so hard they felt like plastic and when finished they sealed perfectly and soft as a babys be----

No luck with Krytox, Gummi Pfledge, Back-to Black or Zaino tire dressing.
The problem is the residual coating, apparently applied at the factory, that gave the weatherstrip a glossy appearance has come off in many places.
I suppose, like some others, I'll have to just scrub the rest off...then any of the dressing products will probably keep it black.
Just wondering if anyone knows what exactly was put on the weatherstrip originally? It looks like a kind of paint, or maybe clear coat...
Thanks, Joe

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back