Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

What did you do to / with your XLR today?

Well My car cruise group was supposed to have a small gathering today. It might still happen but with this nor èster just slamming the area and causing the rain and windy conditions. I don’t think the gathering will take place.
Rain percentage is high
974112cf4ca31e6a4a003a5e3e2d4901.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And since Halloween is next month. My buddy was all excited to go to the car meet. He even had his pirate [emoji2526] hat and gold chain on. Oh yeah since we have this darn covid thing and masks are required. He also has his mask on.

0b821f493a649ac344346c04219e1303.jpg

ede2f522462d3b30a7b308b6a967d969.jpg

f8540cf4cf86958b33d8f8fce519b166.jpg

85f8b54b51d9282bad33817b32fa4da2.jpg

Took a long and much needed drive. After being confined and neglected due to weather. The x and I took to the road. Ran to ace then to get dog treats then went to get gas. Used the new shell app to pay at the pump and it worked great. Then my buddy and I decided to drive around the neighborhood before heading back home
1a9d31362bb45b0e639cbf9db4dcb690.jpg

d319c3c1364e8a319f9aa57391363c60.jpg

23fda539b55ebb60a3c12180cd0b98e7.jpg

7439c81bee7c1d73ab8b8ecdcb7c7f15.jpg

c2a0375ad51ee420e3e92d6143160ad6.jpg

bcbb64e59ede8671b1a43a833641848e.jpg

1569a1f021aec410c0bd5ba33817092e.jpg

Yes took the necessary precautions wearing masks and he had his shades on too.

147236e444b69ce009ba924110707b18.jpg

Last edited:
And on and on...

I guess I've been at this portion for about a week now but time for a post. :)

I have alllllll the front suspension ready to go back in the car - all new shocks and bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends and such, not to mention all the actual components have been cleaned up like they should be. And I'm down under the car, lying on the floor just sizing the task up before I begin, and I notice some 'gunk' on the bottom of the oil pan.

Turns out, said gunk isn't gunk at all - someone in its earlier history must have cracked or scraped the pan well enough to cause it to leak right out the bottom. :( I'll wager its an adequate layer of JB Weld or similar. Nice enough repair I suppose, just not kosher if you know what I mean. I have a hard time trusting glue with a job like that.

Soooo, to pull the pan and replace it meant removing the subframe. I made a handy 2x4 and 2x6 jig to support the engine, I've dropped the subframe, decided the engine mounts may as well be swapped at the same time, and I've pulled the steering rack down too for a thorough once-over and a cleaning. ETA to have it all pretty much assembled might be in a week. I've been taking pics so I'll try to post some around that time.

Our lesson today is: if you're going in that deep, look around and check all the other absolutely 'impossible to get at / devil-like' components, and consider to get 'em done at the same time.

Oh, I'll do the belts while I'm there as well. It looks like they'll be much easier to access from below at this time than by any other means.

Gord :thumbsup

Good luck with the work. Yes it’s easier to do it now that the car engine is easily accessible.

I just got back from a trip to Panama City Beach, Florida in my 2006 XLR-V. It’s about a 400 mile trip each way and the car performed flawlessly. About half the trip is on two lane roads and I was able to go around slower traffic effortlessly. The car got a LOT of attention down at the beach. People were taking pictures off it and walking up to me in parking lots to ask questions about it. On the Interstate cars would sometimes pull up alongside to take a closer look at it. I‘m sure most people had never seen one before and had no idea what it was. I’m guessing many people probably thought it was a new car.

Well since today wasn’t going to rain. I took the x and my passenger for a long much needed drive. We just needed to get out and drive. So the top was down and escaped. Drive around 30 min one way. Then stopped at target then ran back home another 30 min. But the sun was out and enjoyed the day. Got back home had a late lunch early dinner then since I had coupons for Walgreens. We headed out again. Temp was just right. Mid to upper 60’s to mid 70’s perfect Florida weather. Took backroads but had a eye out for and water covered roads.

What I did with my XLR’s today is washed both of them. Mainly dust with a few bug splats. Tomorrow the base gets its state inspection, which is why I cleaned it up. Less dust = fewer scratches from mechanics messing. Also hit the leather on the V with some Zaino Leather conditioner. It was due for that.

(And I would make a picture of both of them part of my signature but can’t figure out how with the new site set up....)

Last edited:
Zen, in no way are you stupid!

I tried that but it wants a URL or text. My pics are just on a folder on my computer. Soy estupido, can’t figure out how to get them from there.

I guess it was Sunday past, I managed to get the front subframe and steering rack reinstalled. Quite easy actually and so, so nice to have the 17 years of grime all cleaned off as well. That makes for such a nicer environment, especially lying on your back!

front subframe install.JPG

Biggest hassle had to be not having an 18mm ratchet-wrench and not having the sense to at least snug down the top nuts of the motor mounts while the frame was out. Right side went quite well, left side...that took ages. They're conical locknuts, so every rotation requires a fair amount of pull. And when you can't get more than about 1 flat at a time without flipping the wrench....arrrggh!

Lesson learned - now back to hanging all the suspension and easy stuff! :)

Oh, a P.S. This of course was on account of a damaged oil pan. It arrived complete with gasket, fasteners, level sensor...the works. Fresh motor mounts too.

I went to hook up the oil level sensor and surprise...it was a 3 pin unit versus the 2 pin connector this car has. No big deal, it's accessible at any time, more just a FYI in case you end up having to do the same task.

I'll suspect the 3 pin is more recent (maybe >'05), so if and when you order the pan and if you do have a 2 pin connector, 'splurge' and get a 2 pin sensor from wherever so you'll have it handy just in case. They're like $12 and I would not reuse the old one...plastic, cheap and rather crispy after so much time in hot oil.

Gord :thumbsup

Well yesterday I went to the “car doctor”. The problem I am having was my roof cylinder. The dealer showed discontinued part and wrote a price if $700. I also needed a power steering pump and the dealer showed a couple left in stock. So I ordered that yesterday and then called my service advisor and she said the power steering pump was here. I mainly called her to tell her I found the other cylinder parts at east coast used and new parts in North Carolina. They are the ppl that are always posting that they are the go 2 people for cadillac xlr parts. I’m not going to post a link because I don’t know if that’s allowed here. I just filled out the paperwork from their website and faxed it to them. They quoted me $265 each with shipping. So my service guys said they would out the part in for me if I found them. So I’ll set up an appointment when I get them in my hand.
For those interested they are located in North Carolina and it’s East Coast Used Parts. They have the west coast chopper looking cross on their page. They are also on Facebook

top cylinders, 150 each from top hydraulics and they come with a warranty unlike some places that sell used parts that will not stand behind what they sell at all. hope you didn't get ripped too bad.

top cylinders, 150 each from top hydraulics and they come with a warranty unlike some places that sell used parts that will not stand behind what they sell at all. hope you didn't get ripped too bad.

If you have bought cylinders from Top hydraulics and not sent back your cores please do it now. They provide us with a great service at a great reduction in price. Some crazy people are paying 1800 -2000 for used pumps on ebay that will fail in 6 months or less and totally do not know they can get a rebuilt one for less than 1/2 that price which is upgraded plus has a warranty. This member just paid double for used cylinders because people have not shipped back their cores.

Cadillac car show is next weekend, so last weekend I washed Victor (black V) & cleaned the inside. Didn’t want to leave Beauty (red base) out of the fun so her engine got detailed - did the interior two weeks ago. Today was Beauty’s bath day and …. she wouldn’t start. :banghead: 6 year old Optima isn’t holding a charge anymore after being off the tender for a week & the car not having gotten out to run in a couple of months. Greeted me with some Christmas lights on the dash & lost all my seat & mirror settings. Fortunately a disconnect the battery reset took care of all the lights & everything seems to be working ok.

Now we’ll be moving to an Odyssey battery since I learned here (bless this forum!) Optima manufacturing got moved and they aren’t so great anymore. Plus thanks to a post by Lextoy I found the part numbers and install info. Although the post is from 2015 so if anyone has bought & installed an Odyssey battery more recently, I’d be interested if the info needs updating. :dunno:

Whew! Guess Beauty will get her bath tomorrow after she has a night on the charger. Traded detailing Victor’s engine today instead.

Yay, roughly 6 mos. later I’m the first to have done anything “postable” with my XLR. Took the V out to stretch its legs today, been a LONG time since it’s been out. Low 60’s, sunny skies. Tomorrow we get a wintry mix …

Attachments

• 8D15B8BB-0C2A-42F3-8AE2-3870CD1E34FB.jpeg
    8D15B8BB-0C2A-42F3-8AE2-3870CD1E34FB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 92
Anddddd … due to a bum ankle the V ended up with an expired inspection, couldn’t take out on the road, and so it just got it’s second wash of the year today. Happy 6 month bath anniversary!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom