Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

GM Press Release Wheel Sizing and Window Tint

azperson333

My XLR/V(s)
2007 XLR - Triple Black
Recently purchased an 07 XLR and would like to make a few minor mods. I am finding conflicting or confusing info and thought some of you might have addressed these issues.

1. My XLR has the standard polished aluminum 18", 7 spoke, OEM wheels and I had thought about upgrading to the OEM 18" Chrome Plated multi spoke wheel. As best I can determine, the bolt pattern is different from one wheel to another. Am I understanding that each different XLR wheel design has a unique bolt pattern?

2. I live in AZ and would like to put a window tint on for summer sun and heat control. I read somewhere that I should not do this because it would mess with the electronics on the car. Could that be true?

I have tried to check with a couple of dealers, but unfortunately they are not very knowledgeable about this car.

Thanks

azperson333

Recently purchased an 07 XLR and would like to make a few minor mods. I am finding conflicting or confusing info and thought some of you might have addressed these issues.

1. My XLR has the standard polished aluminum 18", 7 spoke, OEM wheels and I had thought about upgrading to the OEM 18" Chrome Plated multi spoke wheel. As best I can determine, the bolt pattern is different from one wheel to another. Am I understanding that each different XLR wheel design has a unique bolt pattern?

2. I live in AZ and would like to put a window tint on for summer sun and heat control. I read somewhere that I should not do this because it would mess with the electronics on the car. Could that be true?

I have tried to check with a couple of dealers, but unfortunately they are not very knowledgeable about this car.

Thanks

azperson333

As for the wheels pretty much all the gm wheels have the same bolt pattern. What I had found to be different was the inner HUB diameter. I had upgraded from the stock 17" 7 spoke to the v wheel which is a 19". Didn't have any problems with mounting or fender clearances. I believe the hub diameter is a touch smaller on the xlr vs. the V wheel. The wheels are hub centric. You can buy hub spacers but didn't have any balancing problems or vibrations so I didn't bother.
As for the tints. You can tint them as dark as you want you will not have any electrical problems. Only problem will be trying to see out the back window at night. Good luck with your mods.

On tinting - I'm the second owner of mine, original owner tinted the windows & I've had no problems with anything.

I've seen stuff for other cars where it can affect the nav, etc. I use my phone or a Garmin for that so if there's an effect, it's not an issue.

As for the wheels pretty much all the gm wheels have the same bolt pattern. What I had found to be different was the inner HUB diameter. I had upgraded from the stock 17" 7 spoke to the v wheel which is a 19". Didn't have any problems with mounting or fender clearances. I believe the hub diameter is a touch smaller on the xlr vs. the V wheel. The wheels are hub centric. You can buy hub spacers but didn't have any balancing problems or vibrations so I didn't bother.
As for the tints. You can tint them as dark as you want you will not have any electrical problems. Only problem will be trying to see out the back window at night. Good luck with your mods.

I disagree that the wheels are hubcentric. The hubs are the same as the C6 Corvette which are also lug centric. Think about it, our lug nuts have tapered seat which is used to locate the wheel. If it located on the hub then the taper would not be there. Also there is a running clearance between the hub and the wheel. When you remove your wheel do you have to force it off the hub?

Because of manufacturing tolerances there is little radial run out between the lug center line and the hub. Which is why hubcentric aftermarket wheels using a hub ring are usually OK.

Thanks

azperson333

Some older tints contained metal which could effect some electronics. It may be still available or used, but the tint people I work with don't use it anymore. If you stay away from any metal film it will not effect the electronics.

I disagree that the wheels are hubcentric. The hubs are the same as the C6 Corvette which are also lug centric. Think about it, our lug nuts have tapered seat which is used to locate the wheel. If it located on the hub then the taper would not be there. Also there is a running clearance between the hub and the wheel. When you remove your wheel do you have to force it off the hub?

Because of manufacturing tolerances there is little radial run out between the lug center line and the hub. Which is why hubcentric aftermarket wheels using a hub ring are usually OK.

Inner hub diameter is definately different, now that I think of it lug diameter is larger on the V wheel.
Have only seen a non tapered lug on maybe two machines in my life and they were off road type vehicles. Arnt all lugs tapered. Well then that means all rims are lug centric? I don't know about that?

Bolt pattern and stud size are the same for both the base and V model XLR.
Bolt pattern is 120.65mm or 4.75inches

All base model vehicles came with 18" wheels, not 17". They are 8" wide.

The V model wheels are 19" x 8.5" wide. The center bores are the same at 70.3mm

azperson333....I sold my v wheels to busaman, Tim last summer and I don't believe he had any problems. Other than if they need new tires yours wont fit. He may chime in here.

I am going to Phoeniz dec 12 to visit my daughter, maybe we could get together while I am there?

Tint and wheels

Thanks

azperson333

I bought my XLR over in Phoenix about 18 months ago. It came with dealer installed window tint, and 20" aftermarket wheels (Lund at the time - now Arrowhead). No issues with tint - most are ceramic based now. Slight fender rub in the rear, because of the width and offset of the wheels they installed. You will have no problem with the "V" wheels, with the exception of fewer options for the tires at 19". Check my garage, for some examples.

The comment about seeing out the back with the tint is a valid one - it is harder at night. It also minimizes the Windrestrictor light up effect, if you decide to go that route. I take mine out during the top up season, just to give me more visibility out the back. If we do get a warm spell in So. Cal, and I put the top down, I just live with messy hair...:silly:

Phoenix

azperson333....I sold my v wheels to busaman, Tim last summer and I don't believe he had any problems. Other than if they need new tires yours wont fit. He may chime in here.

I am going to Phoeniz dec 12 to visit my daughter, maybe we could get together while I am there?

We are not planning to leave the area this year so I should be around. Drop me an email with some detail and we can try to set up a time and place to meet. :cool:azperson333@cox.net

Inner hub diameter is definately different, now that I think of it lug diameter is larger on the V wheel.
Have only seen a non tapered lug on maybe two machines in my life and they were off road type vehicles. Arnt all lugs tapered. Well then that means all rims are lug centric? I don't know about that?

Both the base models and the V models use the same lug stud and have the same part number, 9595682. The size is M12 X 1.5. The bolt hole pattern and hub diameters are also the same and the hubs carry the same part number 88967287. The stock wheels are interchangeable, no doubt.

Yes, many lugs. either nuts or bolts, are tapered and some are spherical. Most are 60 degrees but some are 45 degrees. The taper locates the wheel and helps keep the nuts from loosening. Many people are confused and believe their wheels are located on the hub and not by the lug nuts. Again, if the wheel was located by the hub you would have to force it on and off the hub. Because you can easily push the wheel laterally until it seats against the flat surface of the hub proves that there is a some clearance between the hub bore on the wheel and the hub itself. Dirt, corrosion or thermal growth would present real problems. A wheel can not be located by both the hub and the lugs and if the hub has a running clearance and the lugs are tapered and torqued what logically locates the wheel? If the hub was used for location how would the difference in thermal expansion between the steel hub and the aluminum wheel be addressed?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom