Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

When is a good time to replace Shock absorbers (Struts?)

alterniTECH

My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR
Hi! So bear with me here... I'm a new XLR owner. The car is a 2006 XLR, with 19K miles on it. Smells and looks new. Since I've never driven an XLR before, how would I know if the shocks are good or bad? I've driven plenty of sports cars. This car, seems to be a mushier Corvette for sure. And a times a bit floaty/bouncy in comparison to what I've driven. But when is really a good time to replace them? I did the "Push down on the bumper/car and see how many times it bounces" test, and it seems to be pretty taught, little to no bounce. Do they go bad after age, or after mileage? And, does the car have shocks up front, and rear, or where do struts come into the picture (sorry for being dumb). I'd rather be proactive than reactive... Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer.

You need to read up on the schock issue on here...theres all kinds of information....some are replacing with bilsteins or another brand as the originals are really expensive...sometimes the leak fluid.....time to replace...it probably needs to go on a hoist to get a good view of that....I think the best thing for you is to read thru the posts here and make your own determination....I don't think it's something you need to prioritize....I do all the routine mainenance first....oil change, brake fluid flush, antifreeze change, stuff like that....then again what do I know...I only own a 93 allante...one thing I would do is burn premium only and occasionally us an additive like techtron fuel cleaner ....

Another thing I would do, if the battery is more than a couple yrs old, I would put in a new one and add a battery tender....these cars do not like batteries....

You need to read up on the schock issue on here...theres all kinds of information....some are replacing with bilsteins or another brand as the originals are really expensive...sometimes the leak fluid.....time to replace...it probably needs to go on a hoist to get a good view of that....I think the best thing for you is to read thru the posts here and make your own determination....I don't think it's something you need to prioritize....I do all the routine mainenance first....oil change, brake fluid flush, antifreeze change, stuff like that....then again what do I know...I only own a 93 allante...one thing I would do is burn premium only and occasionally us an additive like techtron fuel cleaner ....
Thanks! I'll do some research. All fluids changed, except the differential, and the hydraulic fluid for the top. I probably should do that too? (Probably not they hydraulic fluid). Agree on the 93 octane/additive. Battery is new.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom