Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

"Whining" noise from differential or axels

MrSunshine

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Xenon Blue XLR with Chamere / Slate interior
So, I've searched through ALL 78 pages of the forum & couldn't find (or missed) anything related to my issue.
I have an 06 base that at around 82k miles, I noticed a very faint whining sound coming from "somewhere". After a few days, I noticed it getting louder. Now, it very apparent that it only happens under power, (let of the throttle & it immediately stops) gets louder & higher pitched with speed, (starting at around 30 mph) & DOESN'T change pitch or volume with gears shifts (so, not the trans) It sound a lot like the whine of a super charger.
My diff had developed the very common clicking / clunking issue, & that was resolved with the fluid change & friction additive, but the whining persists.
It's been suggested that it might be that the pinion gear needs to be "reset", that diff has simply gone bad & needs a VERY expensive rebuild, or that it might be a wheel bearing or axel issue.
Has anyone else experienced this issue? And it so, what was the solution. I just don't want to end up doing a complete rebuild, if it isn't truly necessary.

Sorry to hear about your noise problem. Can't you have it on a rack and use a stethoscope to narrow down the area. A wheel bearing is a lot less expensive than a ring & pinion. Hope you get this solved with a minimum of expense.

you dont even want to think about a rebuild on the diff .I doubt anyone within100 miles of you has all the proper tools and skills to do it . you can buy a good low mileage one for a couple hundred dollars and just swap it out. They dont have a history of going bad so there are plenty of them out there that would love to find a new home .

Reactions: Z1.
So, I've searched through ALL 78 pages of the forum & couldn't find (or missed) anything related to my issue.
I have an 06 base that at around 82k miles, I noticed a very faint whining sound coming from "somewhere". After a few days, I noticed it getting louder. Now, it very apparent that it only happens under power, (let of the throttle & it immediately stops) gets louder & higher pitched with speed, (starting at around 30 mph) & DOESN'T change pitch or volume with gears shifts (so, not the trans) It sound a lot like the whine of a super charger.
My diff had developed the very common clicking / clunking issue, & that was resolved with the fluid change & friction additive, but the whining persists.
It's been suggested that it might be that the pinion gear needs to be "reset", that diff has simply gone bad & needs a VERY expensive rebuild, or that it might be a wheel bearing or axel issue.
Has anyone else experienced this issue? And it so, what was the solution. I just don't want to end up doing a complete rebuild, if it isn't truly necessary.
I have 06 as well. Same thing . I couldn't really locate until it started pour coolant out. Water pump went bad . That's probably one of the easiest things to do on this beast. Still Took me a bout an hour to complete.

Have you checked the serpentine belt? My mystery noise/annoyance was finally tracked down to a noisy belt. The noise tended to respond to acceleration, so I, too ,logically concluded that it was in the drive train. I good mechanic located the problem, as the belt was noiseless when the car idled. He sprayed belt "dressing" on it, and we went for a drive... noise disappeared for a short time. It's not an easy "fix" to replace the belt, so my suggestion is based on making certain that you've isolated the issue. Hope this helps, James

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom