Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Whistling

racingintherain

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Crimson Pearl XLR (aka Susan)
Good morning all,

A couple of days ago the X started whistling...and it persists. It does not change frequency based on speed, or wheter moving or not, except it takes a minute for it to begin once the car is started. So, I'm guessing a vauum leak of some sort. Having roamed around the car, I can't seem to pinpoint it, although at one point, I thought it sounded stronger near the rear of the car than the front.

Any one have any similar experiences and solutions?

Thanks,

Racingintherain

Maybe an exhaust/emissions leak somewhere? I would definitely go with a vacuum leak though. You can try some water on the hoses and see if it bubbles at all, but you won't know if it's the exhaust or emissions unless you get down there under the car and actually look. Good luck!

Thanks CoCoXLR. Hope to do some exploring this weekend to see if I can find the culprit.

Racingintherain

If he does, will Snow White come and help him????:chuckle:chuckle:chuckle
images
images

Seems to work :)

Racingintherain

Good morning all,

A couple of days ago the X started whistling...and it persists. It does not change frequency based on speed, or wheter moving or not, except it takes a minute for it to begin once the car is started. So, I'm guessing a vauum leak of some sort. Having roamed around the car, I can't seem to pinpoint it, although at one point, I thought it sounded stronger near the rear of the car than the front.

Any one have any similar experiences and solutions?

Thanks,

Racingintherain

Hi Racingintherain: You posted the issue quite awhile ago... BUT; I have the same problem. How did you correct / fix your 'whistling' problem.

Devildog; here in Englewood,FL bdona7@verizon.net

Whistling (Redux)

Hi Racingintherain: You posted the issue quite awhile ago... BUT; I have the same problem. How did you correct / fix your 'whistling' problem.

Just purchase a 2007 (28,000 miles)--- with the top down, we hear an audible whistling --- it occurs in "stop and go" operation, and then goes silent. It's not coming from the front (vacuum leak), but rather sounds like a very "finely tuned" exhaust leak...anyone discover this problem's fix? Gratefully, James

My 2004 XLR does the same thing sometime. I was told that it was in the fuel pump. This requires removing the gas tank to replace the pump. Have not done this yet.

Whistling (Redux)

Tigerman that is likely the problem --- I had an Allante that had more of a buzzing sound--- but the fuel pump making that noise sounds correct. I'm thinking with so few miles on the car, the pump is fine, it just makes a bit of a whistle. All but certain that purchasing and installing a new pump will be in the $1,000 range.... what do you think ? James

Tigerman that is likely the problem --- I had an Allante that had more of a buzzing sound--- but the fuel pump making that noise sounds correct. I'm thinking with so few miles on the car, the pump is fine, it just makes a bit of a whistle. All but certain that purchasing and installing a new pump will be in the $1,000 range.... what do you think ? James
I have never priced one but the labor would be pretty high.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back