Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Who Should Pay?

Little Woman

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
Cubby's, RIII Attendee, Midwest Marauder Alcohol Czar
This is the cost to LA for Michael Jackson's memorial. Now who should pay?

Michael Jackson memorial cost LA $1.4 million

LOS ANGELES — Los Angeles city officials say $1.4 million was spent to provide security, traffic control and other services surrounding Michael Jackson's memorial service.
The police department said Wednesday that more than 4,000 officers worked to secure Staples Center, Forest Lawn cemetery, and other areas that attracted fans and members of the media. Their deployment cost $1.1 million in overtime pay.
City officials said the rest covered traffic control, cleanup and other costs related to Tuesday's memorial service. They hailed the tally a success, saying it was far less than the nearly $4 million estimated cost.

This is the cost to LA for Michael Jackson's memorial. Now who should pay?

Michael Jackson memorial cost LA $1.4 million

LOS ANGELES — Los Angeles city officials say $1.4 million was spent to provide security, traffic control and other services surrounding Michael Jackson's memorial service.
The police department said Wednesday that more than 4,000 officers worked to secure Staples Center, Forest Lawn cemetery, and other areas that attracted fans and members of the media. Their deployment cost $1.1 million in overtime pay.
City officials said the rest covered traffic control, cleanup and other costs related to Tuesday's memorial service. They hailed the tally a success, saying it was far less than the nearly $4 million estimated cost.
The State of California is bankrupt, the cities have run out of money and of course they are now burdened with an expense they should not have. This is all so totally outrageous. The banks are not wanting to accept the State IOU's so what is next????? Sure am glad I don't live in California but at the rate our Governor is taking Colorado we may be the next state to go bankrupt. :bash::bash::bash:

I guess we are issuing IOU's but as a resident, it's life as usual... :blinzel: Whats the difference between printing usless IOUs or printing worthless money? :rolleyes:

I don't know why the family isn't footing the bill for the MJ funeral - I don't know of any other family that gets money from their city government to hold an extravaganza to honor their loved one. The press is touting that his estate is worth $500 mil - seems to me it should be billed and paid before his heirs are ... or maybe all of his Hollywood friends could "pitch in" all of them are multi-multi millionaires ... a mere 3 mil btw them shouldn't be that tough to come up with :D

The city of Los Angeles is asking for the public to give donations. I guess they have a web site asking for donations and by the way credit cards are excepted. They are also hoping that AIG pitches in also. AIG is the one that put on the memorial at the Staples Center. AIG is the ones that was putting on his tour he was getting ready to start in London. Just food for thought isn't AIG one of the companies tax payers bailed out? :dunno:

The city of Los Angeles is asking for the public to give donations. I guess they have a web site asking for donations and by the way credit cards are excepted. They are also hoping that AIG pitches in also. AIG is the one that put on the memorial at the Staples Center. AIG is the ones that was putting on his tour he was getting ready to start in London. Just food for thought isn't AIG one of the companies tax payers bailed out? :dunno:

No, woman of many names, that was AEG who was going to make the big bucks!

Floyd (BB)

Floyd (BB)

If it was AEG that put on this big show and it looks like they are the one, then they should be the ones to pay for all the expense the city incured.

Floyd (BB)

Thanks Floyd. I stand corrected. :patriot:

First Robin said:
If it was AEG that put on this big show and it looks like they are the one, then they should be the ones to pay for all the expense the city incured.

I agree with you FR they should be the ones footing the bill.

Update

Now the battle begins.

The battle over the cost of Michael Jackson'smemorial has officially begun -- as an L.A. city councilman and the president of AEG traded licks today about who's responsible for the ceremony's hefty price tag. Councilman Dennis Zine told KTTV today that taxpayers "are getting ripped off" because AEG made $50,000 by charging the media to use risers outside the venue. Zine said AEG should grow a pair and cough up some cash.AEG President Tim Leiweke immediately swung back, saying Zine was out of line because the company helped secure funds for the L.A. Lakers championship parade last month.

State of Califoria

The price tag is 1.4 million which AEG should pay what ever any other venue would have to pay at past venues. Keep in mind with all the people that showed up LA made money because those people ate, shopped and slep there and were taxed. The entire State is in default and 1.4 million is a drop in the bucket for the problems they have (BILLIONS) and refuse to confront in the State House. I would really be concerned if I lived in California. Those poor people pay so much tax on everything I really dont know how they do it. The gasoline tax will give pump shock when you fill your tank. My sister lived there for many years and her property taxes before prop 13 were off the charts. I am sure Ruth Ann could share horror stories on the cost to live in Cailfornia today.:squint:

Fred

The price tag is 1.4 million which AEG should pay what ever any other venue would have to pay at past venues. Keep in mind with all the people that showed up LA made money because those people ate, shopped and slep there and were taxed. The entire State is in default and 1.4 million is a drop in the bucket for the problems they have (BILLIONS) and refuse to confront in the State House. I would really be concerned if I lived in California. Those poor people pay so much tax on everything I really dont know how they do it. The gasoline tax will give pump shock when you fill your tank. My sister lived there for many years and her property taxes before prop 13 were off the charts. I am sure Ruth Ann could share horror stories on the cost to live in Cailfornia today.:squint:

Fred
Oh you just opened a can of worms Fred. :laugh::laugh:

Fred

I don't really think it's horror stories that I have to share .... or I'd be on my way out of here. Most every one that lives here is from somewhere else.

It cost's what it cost's ... sort of like you get what you pay for. We pay to live in the city that is known for the best weather in the U.S. And we wouldn't leave it. I might not make that same statement if I lived too far north of L.A. -
Right now my doors and windows are flung wide open and the windchimes are singing - I don't need to worry about screens to keep the bugs from coming in our homes or in our backyard pools .... we sit outside virtually year round, daytime and night time - we do anything we want, any day we want ... anyone who's visited San Diego knows what I am talking about ... if you haven't vacationed or lived here then you can't even imagine. If our weather varies by 10 degrees either way we complain ... we are absolutely spoiled. You can like where you live, but you can't dispute the statistics - it is what it is.

We are under Prop 13 so our property taxes yearly are probably less than what most people for 10 tanks of gasoline. Our gasoline is always higher, but when we travel, we see that it fluctuates from state to state ... AZ is usually the lowest ... but some of the midwest states are always right up there with us. We also have found that salaries for the same jobs vary from state to state for the same positions ... especially in law enforcement which is what we use for our comparison. Some midwest states pay 1/2 of what is paid here .... but it compensates for the cost of living. Housing is a lot cheaper. Even city to city. The salary for San Francisco PD sounds like big bucks ..... but they're living in the Silicone Valley and their COL is even higher (much highter) than here in San Diego. No one seems to live better or worse than we do.

Everything is relative - it depends on what you are willing to live with, what you can afford, and where your family is ..... I'd like to have a vacation house somewhere else ... probably AZ, or NM, because I think the WINTER desert and temps are gorgeous .... but, not too crazy about those summertime highs.

Right now the economy is in the toilet anyway - for all of us. Doesn't matter where you live. Poverty levels are rising ... doesn't matter whether the state coffer's are flourishing or floundering. Unemployment is taking a toll on all of the state's government funds. So is supporting millions of illegals ... and that's not unique unto California either.

My brother in law moved from Las Vegas, NV to St. George, UT (less than 100 mi away) because he thought his taxes were too high in NV. He didn't move back to San Diego because he couldn't afford too - not that he didn't want to. But if you are coming here from somewhere else, I would certainly agree that you would find it costly. Our retirement income here is geared for living here - yes, if we sold our house, and moved to another state we could probably live "better" ... but I don't think it's worth the trade off.
Y'all should know by now not to "bait" me with defending San Diego :cool: .... :wave:

(Off my soapbox ... for now ...:D:reddevil ... but, Fred, you did ask!)

I don't really think it's horror stories that I have to share .... or I'd be on my way out of here. Most every one that lives here is from somewhere else.

It cost's what it cost's ... sort of like you get what you pay for. We pay to live in the city that is known for the best weather in the U.S. And we wouldn't leave it. I might not make that same statement if I lived too far north of L.A. -
Right now my doors and windows are flung wide open and the windchimes are singing - I don't need to worry about screens to keep the bugs from coming in our homes or in our backyard pools .... we sit outside virtually year round, daytime and night time - we do anything we want, any day we want ... anyone who's visited San Diego knows what I am talking about ... if you haven't vacationed or lived here then you can't even imagine. If our weather varies by 10 degrees either way we complain ... we are absolutely spoiled. You can like where you live, but you can't dispute the statistics - it is what it is.

We are under Prop 13 so our property taxes yearly are probably less than what most people for 10 tanks of gasoline. Our gasoline is always higher, but when we travel, we see that it fluctuates from state to state ... AZ is usually the lowest ... but some of the midwest states are always right up there with us. We also have found that salaries for the same jobs vary from state to state for the same positions ... especially in law enforcement which is what we use for our comparison. Some midwest states pay 1/2 of what is paid here .... but it compensates for the cost of living. Housing is a lot cheaper. Even city to city. The salary for San Francisco PD sounds like big bucks ..... but they're living in the Silicone Valley and their COL is even higher (much highter) than here in San Diego. No one seems to live better or worse than we do.

Everything is relative - it depends on what you are willing to live with, what you can afford, and where your family is ..... I'd like to have a vacation house somewhere else ... probably AZ, or NM, because I think the WINTER desert and temps are gorgeous .... but, not too crazy about those summertime highs.

Right now the economy is in the toilet anyway - for all of us. Doesn't matter where you live. Poverty levels are rising ... doesn't matter whether the state coffer's are flourishing or floundering. Unemployment is taking a toll on all of the state's government funds. So is supporting millions of illegals ... and that's not unique unto California either.

My brother in law moved from Las Vegas, NV to St. George, UT (less than 100 mi away) because he thought his taxes were too high in NV. He didn't move back to San Diego because he couldn't afford too - not that he didn't want to. But if you are coming here from somewhere else, I would certainly agree that you would find it costly. Our retirement income here is geared for living here - yes, if we sold our house, and moved to another state we could probably live "better" ... but I don't think it's worth the trade off.
Y'all should know by now not to "bait" me with defending San Diego :cool: .... :wave:

(Off my soapbox ... for now ...:D:reddevil ... but, Fred, you did ask!)
I would agree the weather and all is fantastic we have been there many many times. I really didnt mean to come across as running where you live down. Many of the things I said were quotes from your governor S and the lack of cooporation he is getting to solve the problems from the State Legislators. I wish we had your weather it is in the 100's today with high humity. This is our monsoon season down right terrible. We have taken care of our illegal problem one of the few states That have. Of course it is really never 100% taken care of.

Fred:):wave:

I would agree the weather and all is fantastic we have been there many many times. I really didnt mean to come across as running where you live down. Many of the things I said were quotes from your governor S and the lack of cooporation he is getting to solve the problems from the State Legislators. I wish we had your weather it is in the 100's today with high humity. This is our monsoon season down right terrible. We have taken care of our illegal problem one of the few states That have. Of course it is really never 100% taken care of.

Fred:):wave:
No offense taken at all .. :wave:

Our governor is a republican with a democratic floor ... doesn't matter what he wants to do, what he doesn't want to do .... he's not in charge.

I have to say this ... the media loves to make and take it's jabs - our local media leans so far to the left I'm amazed it stays on the TV screen ... I don't think any state can afford to keep coughing up dollars to support everyone who has their hand out - I don't know what the solutions are; but there has to be an end or every state is going to be bankrupt. We have supported everyone for so long, that I can't even imagine what the repercussions would be if it stopped. That's too big for my mind to conceive.

Yes ... AZ is very pro active with the illegal situation .... Long Live Sheriff Joe!! :blinzel:

I also am IN FAVOR of the innovative ways that AZ has come up with in order to help the deficit in the coffers. I think the traffic cameras and radar are a brilliant idea. Instead of raising taxes for every homeowner and in every city's local tax, the costs are offset by those who break the law. How unique is that? No one is tricked ... the speed limit signs are posted and clear (AZ has NICE highways) - you just have to pay attention and know that there is no tolerance. California should learn from AZ - we have enough freeways and offenders that we should be able to support a couple of states. :lol: When San Diego posts a camera in an intersection you would think that a crime has been committed ... instead of the other way around - apparently people like it when other cars don't stop on red lights :pat: . What they don't like is that they are likely the offenders. Hey, there's another subject ... "those that think they are the exception's to the rules!"

Yes ... I saw the nation's weather map today. Hard not to be happily satisfied here ...

No offense taken at all .. :wave:

Our governor is a republican with a democratic floor ... doesn't matter what he wants to do, what he doesn't want to do .... he's not in charge.

I have to say this ... the media loves to make and take it's jabs - our local media leans so far to the left I'm amazed it stays on the TV screen ... I don't think any state can afford to keep coughing up dollars to support everyone who has their hand out - I don't know what the solutions are; but there has to be an end or every state is going to be bankrupt. We have supported everyone for so long, that I can't even imagine what the repercussions would be if it stopped. That's too big for my mind to conceive.

Yes ... AZ is very pro active with the illegal situation .... Long Live Sheriff Joe!! :blinzel:

I also am IN FAVOR of the innovative ways that AZ has come up with in order to help the deficit in the coffers. I think the traffic cameras and radar are a brilliant idea. Instead of raising taxes for every homeowner and in every city's local tax, the costs are offset by those who break the law. How unique is that? No one is tricked ... the speed limit signs are posted and clear (AZ has NICE highways) - you just have to pay attention and know that there is no tolerance. California should learn from AZ - we have enough freeways and offenders that we should be able to support a couple of states. :lol: When San Diego posts a camera in an intersection you would think that a crime has been committed ... instead of the other way around - apparently people like it when other cars don't stop on red lights :pat: . What they don't like is that they are likely the offenders. Hey, there's another subject ... "those that think they are the exception's to the rules!"

Yes ... I saw the nation's weather map today. Hard not to be happily satisfied here ...
When I am in my little red corvette I try to keep it under 140 at all times.:chuckle:chuckle:chuckle:chuckle

Fred;)

When I am in my little red corvette I try to keep it under 140 at all times.:chuckle:chuckle:chuckle:chuckle

Fred;)

Us too .... :blinzel:
AZ does have some very nice L-O-N-G deserted highways ... :cool: .... We are always amazed at how well they are maintained too. You'd think though that they'd be like hotdog vendors and have mobile gas stations at least every 50 miles.... If you're unprepared for some of those stretches .... :squint::squint:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom