Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Wireless XLR Exhaust controller

C

CADXLR-V

There is a product called "mild2wild" that a company makes and has been selling to Corvette owners for a while now. It's a wireless gadget that plugs into the fuse box replacing the fuse that controls the baffles. It has a remote that hangs on your key ring or wherever you want to put it that you can use to turn the fuse on and off thereby opening and closing the exhaust baffles at will. Anyway, I just talked to them and they make a "modified" "mild2wild" wireless switch for the XLR. It only costs $65.00 so I ordered one today.

If anyone is interested in one let me know and I will give you the info.

There is a product called "mild2wild" that a company makes and has been selling to Corvette owners for a while now. It's a wireless gadget that plugs into the fuse box replacing the fuse that controls the baffles. It has a remote that hangs on your key ring or wherever you want to put it that you can use to turn the fuse on and off thereby opening and closing the exhaust baffles at will. Anyway, I just talked to them and they make a "modified" "mild2wild" wireless switch for the XLR. It only costs $65.00 so I ordered one today.

If anyone is interested in one let me know and I will give you the info.

Standby-V did basically the same thing with a switch in his console for about $5.00 if I remember correctly. It's not a remote, but does the same thing for a lot less. I'm sure he'll even tell you how he did it if you PM him.

Standby-V did basically the same thing with a switch in his console for about $5.00 if I remember correctly. It's not a remote, but does the same thing for a lot less. I'm sure he'll even tell you how he did it if you PM him.

Yeah, I know... I would prefer to not have to run wires or drill a hole inside the glove box to install a switch. Just another option that I thought some might be interested in.

Would that be a "Pipedreams" creation or a Sunset Orange gadget?

I miss the crowd on the Corvette forum, have to drop by some time and say hi.

Would that be a "Pipedreams" creation or a Sunset Orange gadget?

I miss the crowd on the Corvette forum, have to drop by some time and say hi.

Yup, pipedreams... Great outfit! I sent them a email this morning asking if they had a "mild2wild" type switch that I could use on my XLR-V and within 2 minutes (literally, no exaggeration) my phone rings and he tells me he has what I want. Within 5 minutes of that phone call I had my order confirmation email in my inbox. Talk about quick service!

I don't blame you for spending $65 for a gadget that just snaps in to a fuse holder. If I hadn't cut mine, which was the first one done that way, I would spend the money too.
Would like to thank you for the PM thanking me for all the pics and suggestions for you to try. Think I'll ask next time if people want my help.
Yup, pipedreams... Great outfit! I sent them a email this morning asking if they had a "mild2wild" type switch that I could use on my XLR-V and within 2 minutes (literally, no exaggeration) my phone rings and he tells me he has what I want. Within 5 minutes of that phone call I had my order confirmation email in my inbox. Talk about quick service!

I don't blame you for spending $65 for a gadget that just snaps in to a fuse holder. If I hadn't cut mine, which was the first one done that way, I would spend the money too.
Would like to thank you for the PM thanking me for all the pics and suggestions for you to try. Think I'll ask next time if people want my help.

I do want your help and certainly appreciate it. I just took the info you gave me and talked to a company I know that expertises in making a gadget that remotely controls the baffles on a Vette. I wanted to see if they have done any work on the XLR exhaust. As it turns out they have. You still have to cut the wire, but instead of running it up through the car and putting in a switch, you simply connect the wireless transmitter directly to the wire in the trunk area. They have a FOB type transmitter that you can put on your key ring that you use to turn the baffles on and off at will. When they guy said it only costs $65.00 including shipping I figured it was more than worth it. I plan to perform the Volant system mod you told me about. Just going to wait until the car is good and broke in before I add anymore power to the engine.

Thanks again for all your help!

Update... I just finished installing the mild2wild wireless switch and it wokrs great. Only took about 5 minutes to complete!

What is the wire you have to cut? The M2W instructions didn't indicate cutting anything for the vette. Also what is the website for the price you obtained (nakiparts seems to charge $99)

I'm interested. Thanks

What is the wire you have to cut? The M2W instructions didn't indicate cutting anything for the vette. Also what is the website for the price you obtained (nakiparts seems to charge $99)

I'm interested. Thanks

The Corvette has a single fuse that controls the baffles and the XLR does not. The fuse that controls the baffles on the XLR also controls the HVAC. Consequently, you have to locate the wire in the trunk that controls the baffles for the XLR. The M2W switch for the Corvette is designed to plug into the fuse slot. The M2W switch for the XLR is connected to the wiring directly. Email Ed at Nakidparts (address below) and he will give you all the details and take your order. I don't believe the M2W switch is something they advertise because there just isn't a big XLR market obviously, but he will make one up for you. Hope this answers your questions. If not, let me know. Mine still works great and no problems.

pipedreams@nakidparts.com

Also, may I assume the std XLR has the same baffled exhaust as the V?

The best way to get a great sounding exhaust on a standard XLR is spending some money and buying a Corsa exhaust. They do sound great!!!

Pic of the module in the trunk

Here is a pic or two of the module in the left hand side of the trunk under the mat.

Controlmodule3.jpg

Cut the red wire between the black and white in the picture. Cut it while the engine is running and you will hear the baffles turn on, then add both ends of wire to an old wire coat hanger and fish it up into the back of the drivers seat, install a rocker switch somewhere and you got it all for about $5 dollars and installed in an hour.:patriot:
Yes, that's on my wishlist, but in this economy, the $65 interim solution sounded good :)

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom