Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Wood trim kits

galen

My XLR/V(s)
2005,XLR
Has anyone tried the wood interior trim kits available for our model car? I was looking at some of them and it dresses up the inside quite a bit. What do ya all think? Too much or it classes up the inside? :dunno:

Has anyone tried the wood interior trim kits available for our model car? I was looking at some of them and it dresses up the inside quite a bit. What do ya all think? Too much or it classes up the inside? :dunno:

I installed a wood dash kit about a year ago. I purchased my X pre-owned and the only blem on the entire car was a small dent or crease on the center console from something being dropped on it (maybe a cell phone). The easiest way to fix it I figured was with the wood kit. I originally used only the center console wood parts but then loved the way it looked so I ended up using most of the kit. Two other XLR owners have seen it in person and both liked the look. In fact both thought my 04 was newer because of the wood and 1 ordered it and also loves it. I personally like the wood that goes on the doors. It has the XLR lettering cut out of it and the interior color shows through it. When the doors are open it is pretty impressive. I have some photos posted on here somewhere but if you would like to see any let me know and I will add some to this thread. I think I paid around $200 and the self install was easy. Hope that helps.

Here are some photos...

S1050975.jpg

S1050979.jpg

S1050983.jpg

Thanks Marc, that was quick. Did you have much trouble installing the pieces? It looks good. I think I'm going to get a kit. Your car is a lot like mine. You should try the Corsa exhaust. Big improvement on mine.

I installed a carbon fiber trim kit in my CTS-V and it turned out pretty well. If given a chance to do it over, I would have used maybe half of the kit, just to accentuate detail areas, like the vents.

Happy with my work, a friend asked me to do an install of a wood kit in a base CTS, and while it looked good, was not a true substitute for the real deal (which the car had some of) and kind of cheapened the overall look. But from a distance, it looked nice.

The hand-picked wood in our XLRs is really nice, so I would be hesitant to apply thickly laminated press-on appliques (which is what the "real wood" kits are. Of course, taste and style are unique to each of us. If it looks good to you, then that's all that really matters, right?

CC :wave:

Thanks Marc, that was quick. Did you have much trouble installing the pieces? It looks good. I think I'm going to get a kit. Your car is a lot like mine. You should try the Corsa exhaust. Big improvement on mine.

I'm thinking about either or both exhaust and/or air intake upgrades. The install is really pretty simple but does take a bit of caution. You have to practice the placement a few time for each piece before removing the adhesive film. Once you are comfortable with where it needs to be placed its not hard at all but you really need to take the extra few minutes to practice with each piece. By the 3rd or 4th piece its a piece of cake. The nice thing is that you can use as much or as little as you want and in a worse case you can always remove it. The only pieces I did not use went near the gauges. If your kit is anything like mine you will see what I mean in saying that they just didn't look right. Good luck and post some pics if you go for it.

Thanks Marc. I will post a picture when I'm finished. Clark, as Marc said my console is also dented. Probably from the seatbelt being clicked in. I think that in its self looks worse. It was also a used car like Marc's. Bruce and I tried matching different pieces at BG11 but they just didn't match well. I will probably only use the console and maybe the door pieces. Thanks for the opinion.

Thanks Marc. I will post a picture when I'm finished. Clark, as Marc said my console is also dented. Probably from the seatbelt being clicked in. I think that in its self looks worse. It was also a used car like Marc's. Bruce and I tried matching different pieces at BG11 but they just didn't match well. I will probably only use the console and maybe the door pieces. Thanks for the opinion.

I just looked at your photos.....nice choice for you windrestrictor.....looks like we have twins.

I ordered mine from wooddashman and it was $240.

Yeah, same taste. You will like the Corsa, It gives the car a classy sound. Not too loud and a rumble to let everyone know you got something there. It's an easy install. I found that I started hearing a thud when I turned to the right about a month ago. The exhaust has been on for about a year now. Jacked the car up and found one of the clamps had loosened and was hitting the rear axle when the car leaned to the side. Easy fix. The heating and cooling of the bolts made them all loose.

Galen, I was at D3 today in Signal Hill, CA, which is about 30 minutes from the house. They where closed because most employees where at SEMA, but two of the employees came back early and they let me in.
After many questions, I will have the tunnel exhaust for Corso put in, but I'm keeping my GM mufflers which are attached to my baffles which I want to keep on the car. So I guess you would call it a Corso.GM. He is also is going to Flash it after he's done and given the Volant system is already on, he said he expects it to dyno out at about 500HP. They had one stage 2 V in there that dyno'd out at 622hp. Yikes. I bet that cost.
He also has a unit for $200 that hooks up to plug on the inlet tube for the filters that automatically gives west coasters 27 hp in about 1 minute and east coasters 30 hp because you guys don't have the restrictions we have out here in CA.
I would (wood) be interested in the wood if they have it in the Singana (SP) wood for the V's. I would probably only use it sparingly too

Dear Mark

I installed a wood dash kit about a year ago. I purchased my X pre-owned and the only blem on the entire car was a small dent or crease on the center console from something being dropped on it (maybe a cell phone). The easiest way to fix it I figured was with the wood kit. I originally used only the center console wood parts but then loved the way it looked so I ended up using most of the kit. Two other XLR owners have seen it in person and both liked the look. In fact both thought my 04 was newer because of the wood and 1 ordered it and also loves it. I personally like the wood that goes on the doors. It has the XLR lettering cut out of it and the interior color shows through it. When the doors are open it is pretty impressive. I have some photos posted on here somewhere but if you would like to see any let me know and I will add some to this thread. I think I paid around $200 and the self install was easy. Hope that helps.

Mark where did you purchased the wood trim for the XLR and how close is the color of the original wood? Tks for your help

I've installed 2 dash kits in my previous cars, 01 Toyota MR2, and 2004 TBird. At first I liked them, but after a year or more they looked more like scabs. I doubt if I'll do the XLR

wood trim

Mark where did you purchased the wood trim for the XLR and how close is the color of the original wood? Tks for your help

I also put the wood trim on my 04. key word Benevento auto good people to deal with

David J

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back