Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

XLR convertible top lubrication

TomP

My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR-V
I don't see any mention in the owner manual but does anyone know of any periodic lube to the pivot points of the convertible top mechanism that is required, or just a good idea? The hydraulic system works hard to retract and deploy the top and is pricey to rebuild. That is why I ask. Thanks.

Moving out of the Site Help and Feedback forum and into the XLR Tech forum...

I have wondered the same thing. The pivot points are steel pins through bronze self oiling bushings but I have seen a few that are really tight. I would think a drop of lube would not hurt at all .there is about 20 plus pivot points

xaclty. I think there are 7 or 8 "sewing machines" in operation working that top. :) Blaster makes a garage door lube that is a light lube that does not evaporate like wd40. Was thinking that is a good one. Used sparingly so as not to turn the linkage into a chocolate mess, it cant hurt. (?)

this brings back fond memories of the 60's and 70's gm cars that used to have replaceable bushings. GM skimmped on the size vs weight of the doors and after a while the bushings would wear and the doors would drop down enough you had to pick them up to close .When A customer would come in we would look and say" yep looks like they are burnt up with oil" and the customer every time would take the bait and jump in with 'NOT ME! I never oiled them".We would all laught and 25$ and an hour later their doors shut like new again and they would oil them from then on.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom