Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Xlr corse

Dale H

My XLR/V(s)
XOR/2005
I have a 2005 xlr , problem is sometimes it won’t start had it towed to dealership got it off the tow truck it starts like new drove it home two days later it won’t start towed it back to dealer guess what ... it starts like new all together I have been though the same things 5 times ever time I get it home it won’t start. Dealer can not tell anything as long as it starts a runs at his place. Car is setting at his parking lot a will start ever time he try’s it. Has anyone had a problem such as this. I am about to pull my hair out. Help please

Just a wild guess, but do you carry your smartphone and the key fob in the same pocket or area? Cell signal will cancel out the fob

Just a wild guess, but do you carry your smartphone and the key fob in the same pocket or area? Cell signal will cancel out the fob
No it does the same with nothing in my pocket. The one time it didn’t start at the dealer and they got on the antilizer it said it was the fuel pump so it cost me 1600. 00 dollars for a new pump and in no time it was doing the same thing. Dealer said the pump was under warranty but now we are back to playing the cat and mouse game it starts while at the dealer but I am now afraid to bring it home so it setting on there lot and they start it several times a day waiting for it not to start so they can get it back in an look for the code.

so it cranks over but has no spark? Only need gas and spark like a lawn mower. Shold not be hard to find the failure. Having worked at a dealer it is strange how many cars fix themselves when they pull onto the lot. I would guess fuel pump problem of some sort. Due to the loading on a roll back would slosh around the gas and riding high it would get a lot of bouncing being towed so it would start when it gets to the dealer. I don't see an electrical problem changing much on a tow

Does the DIC in the instrument console say "NO FOB FOUND" when you push the start button? You can get in to the car and have that happen, the entry antenna and start antenna are seperate.

How old is the battery? Strange things happen to the XLR when the battery is marginal.

Did anyone check the cubby on the drivers side in the trunk next to the tail light? Lift the carpet, pull the 10 inch by 10 inch cover off and look inside. See if there is any standing water in it or signs of standing water in it, such as white poweder of actual corrosion on the electrical connections.

Has it died on you while driving? Doesn't sound like it. That probably rules out a bunch of other electrical problems.

I have a 2005 xlr , problem is sometimes it won’t start had it towed to dealership got it off the tow truck it starts like new drove it home two days later it won’t start towed it back to dealer guess what ... it starts like new all together I have been though the same things 5 times ever time I get it home it won’t start. Dealer can not tell anything as long as it starts a runs at his place. Car is setting at his parking lot a will start ever time he try’s it. Has anyone had a problem such as this. I am about to pull my hair out. Help please

Many years ago I met a similar problem just once, it was caused by a a powerful transmitter near by jamming the car's electronics. It only happened parked in two specific parking bays, must have had focused power somehow. Any chance of that?

There is a huge difference between a "no crank" and a "crank no start" condition. Which do you have?

Thanks for all the info. Dealer put in new fuel pump started but then after a while did same thing so they said it may have been a bad fuel pump again so put in another one same results analizer shows nothing no help what so ever. Now they tried a new module to the pump same results they the new module may have been bad also so now they have ordered a new one and going to install.
I am beginning to think it is some short somewhere causeing the problem.
Has anyone ever had with a short that could cause this to happen. If so where was it. Thanks

Car does crank well and battery is good

Get a fuel rail pressure gauge and determine the pressure during the crank no start condition. There is a test point under the engine cover.

Changing the fuel pump is expensive (in labor).

I would stop wasting money at this dealership. Unless they are not charging you for all the re-tries. Throwing parts at a problem only costs you, not them. How much money do you have available to throw in the pockets of this dealership?

Thanks for all the info. Dealer put in new fuel pump started but then after a while did same thing so they said it may have been a bad fuel pump again so put in another one same results analizer shows nothing no help what so ever. Now they tried a new module to the pump same results they the new module may have been bad also so now they have ordered a new one and going to install.
I am beginning to think it is some short somewhere causeing the problem.
Has anyone ever had with a short that could cause this to happen. If so where was it. Thanks

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom