Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! XLR Hardtop Operation Has Stopped Functioning & Now the Trunk has also Stopped Working

joaustin

My XLR/V(s)
2004 Xenon Blue
The car under went some corrective light body/paint work to Rt Front side at the Massey Cadillac Dealer in Dallas. Their Body tech was also an avid XLR Salvage Rebuilder. Any salvageable items were quickly lost in the card shuffle or found behind his tool box! After catching a number of his and their magic tricks, my top stopped working and his Salvage Rebuilder car's top began working, but you can't prove anything! He was forced to pull a scan and multiple top codes showed and were cleared. The top function still "DID" at least extend the Trunk , windows down, unlatch top, qtr glass folded in, shelf panel folded but top would struggle to make it to begin the panel break but unable to lift. Yes they are aware it worked going in and while in shop. They are also aware that upon pick up it no longer functioned. However they accept no responsibility. At that time the trunk was still working. Now the trunk has slowed to only a click and rarely just a quick 12" open, only to fall shut. The top functions have all stopped operating. No trace of water or leak in the L. rear Pump compartment. No apparent Hyd. Trunk/Top Pump lines leaking. Any idea where to start problem "shooting" other than at the crook(s)/dealership thief. Thanks in advance for any help locating and repairing this problem.

The car under went some corrective light body/paint work to Rt Front side at the Massey Cadillac Dealer in Dallas. Their Body tech was also an avid XLR Salvage Rebuilder. Any salvageable items were quickly lost in the card shuffle or found behind his tool box! After catching a number of his and their magic tricks, my top stopped working and his Salvage Rebuilder car's top began working, but you can't prove anything! He was forced to pull a scan and multiple top codes showed and were cleared. The top function still "DID" at least extend the Trunk , windows down, unlatch top, qtr glass folded in, shelf panel folded but top would struggle to make it to begin the panel break but unable to lift. Yes they are aware it worked going in and while in shop. They are also aware that upon pick up it no longer functioned. However they accept no responsibility. At that time the trunk was still working. Now the trunk has slowed to only a click and rarely just a quick 12" open, only to fall shut. The top functions have all stopped operating. No trace of water or leak in the L. rear Pump compartment. No apparent Hyd. Trunk/Top Pump lines leaking. Any idea where to start problem "shooting" other than at the crook(s)/dealership thief. Thanks in advance for any help locating and repairing this problem.

Hey joaustin,

Sorry to hear about your experience at the dealership. It is important to us that you have a positive experience each visit. If you would like, we can reach out to the dealership about your concerns on your behalf to gather additional information. Please private message me your VIN, mileage, and contact information so we can look further into this.

Best,
Vivian K.
Cadillac Customer Care

From your description, I was expecting low hydraulic fluid, but no. The only suggestion I can make is some kind of fault in the pump as the system seems to be moving from one step to the next correctly, just lacking the grunt to lift the deck lid. I assume you are running the engine and that the battery and electrics are otherwise in good order.

From your description, I was expecting low hydraulic fluid, but no. The only suggestion I can make is some kind of fault in the pump as the system seems to be moving from one step to the next correctly, just lacking the grunt to lift the deck lid. I assume you are running the engine and that the battery and electrics are otherwise in good order.

THANK YOU FOR THE REPLY. YES THE HYD RESEVOIR IS FULL, AND CAR IS RUNNING. HOWEVER THE TOP FUNCTIONS HAVE NOW ALL STOPPED FUNCTIONING. INCLUDING THRUNK NO LONGER EVEN LIFTS. ANY INSIGHT WOULD BE HELPFUL. I FOUND A SMALL AMOUNT OF WATER ACCUMULATION IN THE PUMP WELL. THE DRAINING OF IT HAS BEEN CHECKED TO ENSURE ITS STAYS DRAINED.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom