Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Important! XLR Headlight Assemblies

Bakertech

Seasoned Member
ALL:

Last week I contacted a highly placed GM Executive and pleaded our case of Headlight Assemblies, CHMSL and other items.

I received this info today in regard to Headlights. Although at present I don't need one, I certainly want to be able to get one.

This is the response:
Good Afternoon Mr. Baker,

As per our conversation this afternoon, I was able to obtain the following information relating to headlight parts for your 2008 Cadillac XLR

Right Side (Passenger Side) Part# 20779744 changes to Part#19352091 - We estimate stock will be available late next week.

Left Side(Driver Side) Part# 20779745 changes to Part#19352092 - We estimate there will still be some time before we have this part in stock. No lead time is available presently.

I hope this information is helpful to you and thank you for allowing me a further opportunity to be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Please note that Part #'s have changed - recently I was told - and this info concerned Canadian Stock. No doubt they will be available in the US as well.

I know this is very good news for many. During our Telecon, I was told there is a myriad of things -even environmental- that must be covered before production can begin, but at least it is in the pipeline.
I will ask about the CHMSL next, and report here when I have that info.

Regards

Gord.

ALL:

Last week I contacted a highly placed GM Executive and pleaded our case of Headlight Assemblies, CHMSL and other items.

I received this info today in regard to Headlights. Although at present I don't need one, I certainly want to be able to get one.

This is the response:

As per our conversation this afternoon, I was able to obtain the following information relating to headlight parts for your 2008 Cadillac XLR

Right Side (Passenger Side) Part# 20779744 changes to Part#19352091 - We estimate stock will be available late next week.

Left Side(Driver Side) Part# 20779745 changes to Part#19352092 - We estimate there will still be some time before we have this part in stock. No lead time is available presently.

I hope this information is helpful to you and thank you for allowing me a further opportunity to be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Please note that Part #'s have changed - recently I was told - and this info concerned Canadian Stock. No doubt they will be available in the US as well.

I know this is very good news for many. During our Telecon, I was told there is a myriad of things -even environmental- that must be covered before production can begin, but at least it is in the pipeline.

Regards

Gord.

This could be very good news for those of us in need... or anticipating a need... I think. Are the Canadian versions identical to the US? I've read that the European assemblies had some differences. Also, what does the CHMSL represent? Thanks for the info!

XLR Lighting

This could be very good news for those of us in need... or anticipating a need... I think. Are the Canadian versions identical to the US? I've read that the European assemblies had some differences. Also, what does the CHMSL represent? Thanks for the info!

Hopefully the Centre High Mounted Stop Lights will also be reproduced to GM standards.

North American Headlights must comply with DOT standards. Cut-off line, Shoulder lighting and other things no doubt. Euro standards differ I believe.

Canadian & US part numbers and design are the same.

Regards,
Gord.

The center mount stop light has been available for a while now, though Gizmo says the quality of the Chinese version GM has had made is inferior.

The center mount stop light has been available for a while now, though Gizmo says the quality of the Chinese version GM has had made is inferior.

Are the CHMSL now available 'knock offs' or are they made for GM under licence?
I would think GM authorized items would be quality products.... hopefully.
Accurate info and supporting photos would be helpful.

Bakertech.

ALL:

This is the response:

Sincerely,

Regards

Gord.

Hopefully this will happen, I have a 2004 xlr with 19000.00 mi. I will buy both side headlights the second they come available.
Thanks Rick

HEADLIGHTS

ALL:

This is the response:

Sincerely,

Regards

Gord.

Anything further on this? (fingers crossed) THX

XLR Lighting parts

Anything further on this? (fingers crossed) THX

I have not heard back from my contact at GM in regard to headlight remanufacture. Perhaps it is time for a reminder.

I replaced the 2 screw 'jacks' that stop the trunk lid from closing too far a few months ago.
One lasted about 7 months. Crap rubber. I will get them remade at an Industrial rubber lining (Vessels) shop.

Gord.

I also had to replace my trunk stops.I cant belive the quality or lack of the GM put into these stops

Not sure if this was posted earlier in this thread or not. Somehow digressed into high mount tail lights and a half dozen other items. SMC Auto Parts bought the bulk of the inventory/parts in Bowling Green when they ceased making the XLR. They have European spec headlights re-wired to N. American specs. These are available, I just checked their website. They are new in the box items.

Driver Side (LH) and Passenger Side (RH) Set of Headlamp Capsule Assemblies Converted to USA, North America Connector & Wiring Spec GM Part no. 10349881, 0506-10349881, 10349880, 0506-10349880 - SMC Performance and Auto Parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
CC,
One of the posts here commented on headlights not being available, then the discussion switched to tail lights. Thanks for the details!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Headlight assembly

If the high beam light doesn't work on one side does that mean just a bulb needs to be replaced or the whole assembly ?
John F.

You can replace the headlamp, side marker, parking and turn signal bulbs. To get at them, the headlight assembly needs to be removed. If you need a procedure, just ask.

CC :wave:

PS:

When To Change The HID Bulb

Bulb failure, end of life occurs when the bulb gets old and becomes unstable. The bulb may begin shutting itself off sporadically and unpredictably at first, perhaps only once during a 24–hour period. When the bulb begins shutting itself off occasionally, the ballast will automatically turn the bulb back on again within a half-second. The ballast will re-strike the bulb so quickly that the bulb may not appear to have shut off. As the bulb ages, it may begin to shut off more frequently, eventually over 30 times each minute. When the bulb begins to shut off more frequently, the ballast receives excessive, repetitive current input. (This is bad. . . )

Repetitive and excessive restarts or re-strikes, without time for the ballast to cool down, will permanently damage the ballast. As a safeguard, when repetitive re-strikes are detected, the ballast will not attempt to re-strike the lamp. At that point, the ballast shuts down and the bulb goes out.

The following symptoms are the unmistakable warning signs of bulb failure:

• A flickering light, caused in the early stages of bulb failure (Yikes!)
  • The lights go out, caused when the ballast detects excessive, repetitive bulb re-strike (Double yikes!)
  • Color change - the lamp may change to a dim pink glow

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry