Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

XLR Key Fob

Just an fyi, if you do find the old fob; it will probably no longer work. It sounds like they reprogrammed your new and old fobs as 1 & 2; so the missing one is now a paperweight if found.:lol::lol:

Right. They did say that if we found the old one they can add it if we want them to.

KEY FOB HELP

My #1 key fob is giving me trouble. Getting a No Fob Detected warning and the car wont start. I put in a new battery and nothing changed. Fob 2 works. Also Fob 1 is damaged, the mech that releases the aux key is come loose and the key is just barely hanging in there so a new fob is in order.
I found a fob on Amazon that has the same number as mine (super tiny print inside, visible after key is removed: M3N5WY777A) but the pad layout is not the same, has an auto start button and does not list XLR. (I understand that the 08 and 08 fobs are different then previous XLR's)
SO does anyone know where I get the correct fob?

My #1 key fob is giving me trouble. Getting a No Fob Detected warning and the car wont start. I put in a new battery and nothing changed. Fob 2 works. Also Fob 1 is damaged, the mech that releases the aux key is come loose and the key is just barely hanging in there so a new fob is in order.
I found a fob on Amazon that has the same number as mine (super tiny print inside, visible after key is removed: M3N5WY777A) but the pad layout is not the same, has an auto start button and does not list XLR. (I understand that the 08 and 08 fobs are different then previous XLR's)
SO does anyone know where I get the correct fob?

I got mine on ebay.

Sandy,

Try keylessoption.com

They show as having them @ 79.95

I was looking on ebay and all they had was cases. Also, my fob is different than an 07 fob.

Sandy,

Try keylessoption.com

They show as having them @ 79.95

Thanks Cubby, got one ordered. They even ship to Canada cheaply ;) See you in September!

Thanks Cubby, got one ordered. They even ship to Canada cheaply ;) See you in September!

Well, I DID have one on order. It 'appeared' to be in stock, I ordered it: I paid for it, Order was confirmed then the next day I got an update: Order Refunded. No explanation, no ETA etc. I had to call. She was mamby-pamby, hummed & hawed, blah blah...... = result - OUT OF STOCK and still no explanation. I asked if this is a piece they build and I am waiting for build stock......OR.?.?.?. NOPE, NO possible expectations of when it may be in stock and NO - they do not 'hold' my order in sense that they would not notify me when they know further.

SO I will give it a bit more internet searching tonight but I will likely be forced to go to the dealer who will
1: be told some stupid price
2: be told that they will have to also program it for me at a stupid crazy price
BUT
3: I HAVE THIS FORUM, there are instructions here that tell me how to reprogram everything so I once again have a #1 and#2 FOB that hold our preferred settings.

Updates to follow!

FYI

My two fobs were already programed (#2 incorrectly) so I had to skip
step 4, of method 3, and leave the glove box fob pocket empty during the 3 ten minute cyles.

Learned this through trial and error.

Thanks for that. I did the 3 x 10 minute cycles with the fob in place as it did not state to remove it. then it sat there saying Ready for fob 1 for like 10 minutes or more then just shut down.
Restarted the procedure then ran here to the forum to find out what I may have missed. I had already started the first 10 minute thing when I saw this, ran and grabbed the fob from the pocket..... Hoping for the best!

HELP! HELP! HELP!

Ok, so I officially need help.
I finally got a replacement fob via GM dealership. I immediately checked to see it had a battery inserted, it did so I removed it and checked it with my multi-setting battery checking gadget: said fully charged & so I inserted it in the FOB again correctly.

Now to reprogram: I followed the instructions for method #3 on the first page of this thread as I want my fobs to be able to have saved personal settings. (Just and FYI: I tried the key cycling thing 3 times but never getting the display to tell me the next step before I tried turning the key over and tried it that way and even though it appears to be omni directional it worked in the flipped direction.) Once I got past that hurdle and following the instructions - I got the 3 x 10 minute cycles done and on to the 'Ready for Fob #1' which was already in the slot ..... After 8-10 minutes of the display still saying Ready for Fob #1 and nothing appearing to be happening, everything shut down.

I started the 3 x 10 minute thing again, ran in here to double check the forum and saw Paulc17 's post about removing the fob from the slot while the 3x10 minute thing worked. So my fob was in place for maybe 4 minutes of the first 10 minute time period. Got to the end where it asked for Fob 1, I then inserted it (correct direction) and nothing changed, display continued to say Ready for Fob #1..... 10 minutes or so later everything shut down again.

Too many mosquitoes to deal with and feeling a bit '****y' so I will try again in the morning...... BUT I have some questions I would love answered by anyone who has done this procedure.

Should I pull the FOB out of the slot BEFORE I push the OFF/ACC for the first time? (does that make any difference)

When it gets to: Ready for FOB #1 and I insert the FOB #1 in place in the slot in the correct orientation: Will the display change at all: AKA will it say Programming FOB#1 ..... or something simular or make any noises to indicate it is actually doing something?

IF that all fails, then what next?

answering my own questions..

OK, got it working. 3 times the charm!

One thing NOT addressed is 'which end first' when inserting the fob. Both here and in my owners manual it says buttons to the right but it does not say which end first! Steve noticed there are three metal bands in the fob slot towards the back and realized the two metal strips that are between the buttons are near the one end and not the other. Since our 'keys' were removed I kind of thought that open end went first but it is the enclosed end that goes in first and in my owners manual, section 2 it shows the fob going in with the 'key' blank in place and that end sticking out.

So, what I did: after the 5 key turns I pushed the OFF/ACC end of the start button and THEN realized I had not removed the FOB so I immdiately popped it out and continued anyway. When it got to the Programming thing - it all happens so fast, just a couple of quick seconds and I don't think there were any 'sounds' but the display quickly changed to FOB #2 etc. We only did the two fobs, tested them: all good! When tested the fobs by starting the car in the garage as it seemed to be starting rough and shutting down rough, so I took it out for a midnight run around the block. Life is good! :burnout:

Last edited:
Stupid question about key fob #1 vs. #2

Hello.

I have a newly purchased 2005 XLR Limited Edition that came with fob #1 only.

In searching for a 2nd fob, I can only locate ones that say memory 1 on the back.

Will this cause an issue trying to use as a 2nd, or spare?

Thanks.

Dan

Last edited:
The RCLDR doesn't care what the numbers on the back of the fob has. It will assign memory numbers to the fobs as they are programmed. Since you don't have a #2 fob, more than likely that position is taken by the non-existent #2 fob. Program a new fob will result in that fob being assigned to position 3. But, you can have 3 fobs programmed and you can still have memory seating, mirrors, etc. Program the buttons on the driver seat by getting all your settings as you want them, then press down on BOTH #1 and #2 buttons at the same time. You'll hear a chirp and you have the third memory setting programmed in. To recall those settings, push 1 and 2 together to get the 3rd memory setting.

SECOND POST ON THIS THREAD SOFLIX,,,, go back to page 1 of post

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back